PDA

View Full Version : Tire price shocker.

Idaho45guy
12-08-2021, 08:13 AM
My newer Toyota 4Runner has a set of 33" tires that I bought for it a year ago. They were the newest Cooper design called the Evolution MT. They promised to offer daily driving manners with amazing off-road abilities. I ordered a set of 33" tall tires at $163 each from Walmart.com.

They arrived and I took them to a local shop that charged $18 each to sipe them, and then another $100 to mount and balance them.

They have performed extremely well off-road, OK in the snow, and not great in daily driving due to noise, weight, and sucking of MPG.

We just got a couple of inches of snow.

The 4Runner was slipping a bit so I did a search of snow and all-season tired designs.

All of the tires I had experience with and could confirm performed well were now well over $200 each.

I swore that I would never spend over $200 for a tire, but that promise is geeing harder every day

Bmi48219
12-08-2021, 08:57 AM
I’m surprised 33 inch tires weren’t more.
Just my opinion but the sipe business is a waste.

starnbar
12-08-2021, 09:07 AM
I feel your pain I went to our rather small auto recycler yard (they don't call em junk yards anymore) they wanted almost the same price as walmart for brand new. These came off a truck with 15,000 miles on it and for a couple hundred more I could have bought the whole truck.

yovinny
12-08-2021, 10:04 AM
Haaa !!!
Dont feel bad,, I dropped almost $200.ea on a pair of rear 4wheeler tires not long ago..

hoodat
12-08-2021, 10:09 AM
I just spent a thousand bucks to put a set of tires on a Jeep that's worth about two thousand bucks. I don't like to cheap out on tires. jd

CastingFool
12-08-2021, 10:09 AM
I just spent $1200 on a set of tires for our traverse. It has 20" tires. that price does include insurance. I had bought 2 rear tires for my truck, paid $400, a few months later, picked up a nail in the sidewall. All I had to pay was $19 for insurance on the replacement tire. So having insurance paid off.

tja6435
12-08-2021, 10:12 AM
You should see what tractor tires cost these days vs 1 year ago.

zarrinvz24
12-08-2021, 10:17 AM
One thing I've found is that cheap tires work out to be more expensive in the long run. I will only run Michelin tires, although Toyo and Nitto have been decent performers in the past. If you keep the vehicle long enough to wear out a set of michelins it is well worth the expense. For instance, I put a set of Cooper St Maxx tires on my F-350 and within 30k the wear bars were exposed, time to replace. I went with the Michelin Defender MS 2, and its been over 40k with hardly any wear at all. I'll admit that a 1 ton pickup is hard on tires in general, but I've found the Michelin's wore unbelievably long on every vehicle that I've run them on. Perhaps I'm a little biased, they are made here in SC after all. . . .

dverna
12-08-2021, 10:30 AM
I had Goodyear Wrangler Foritude HT's (IIRC) on my fiancé's F150 and had to replace them this year after over 60k miles. The worked OK and we get 120" of snow a year. I shopped around and a chain called Discount Tire had them for an even better price than Walmart...$165 each. Put another set on...if it works don't screw with it.

On my F150, the Michelins do not do as well in snow. I have a spare set of wheels with Cooper M&S tires. Pain in the butt to change over but nice to know if we get hammered, we have one truck with snow tires on it.

Ithaca Gunner
12-08-2021, 10:38 AM
I've been happy with Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11 truck tires for the price. I've bought 3 sets of them over the past 8 years for 2 different trucks.

GregLaROCHE
12-08-2021, 11:03 AM
I just bought a pair of snow tires with studs. They were cheaper than 4 season tires, of course without studs. It’s been over 25 years since I’ve had studded tires. I wonder if I will still like them.

memtb
12-08-2021, 11:07 AM
Yep.....getting outrageous! I recently priced tires for my Ram SRW (19.5” tires) four Toyo’s .....around $1500.00 (mounted/balanced/taxed). I may be off on the price a bit, as I was in shock and threw away the estimate....seems it was actually higher! memtb

Soundguy
12-08-2021, 11:23 AM
My newer Toyota 4Runner has a set of 33" tires that I bought for it a year ago. They were the newest Cooper design called the Evolution MT. They promised to offer daily driving manners with amazing off-road abilities. I ordered a set of 33" tall tires at $163 each from Walmart.com.

They arrived and I took them to a local shop that charged $18 each to sipe them, and then another $100 to mount and balance them.

They have performed extremely well off-road, OK in the snow, and not great in daily driving due to noise, weight, and sucking of MPG.

We just got a couple of inches of snow.

The 4Runner was slipping a bit so I did a search of snow and all-season tired designs.

All of the tires I had experience with and could confirm performed well were now well over $200 each.

I swore that I would never spend over $200 for a tire, but that promise is geeing harder every day

Wow.. I'd love a 200$ tire.. I drive a 1 ton dually.... that's 7 tires if you keep the spare updated... cheap chinese tires are 250@ name brands are a months pay for a set.. ugh...

Winger Ed.
12-08-2021, 11:49 AM

Then ya better not get a 3/4 ton truck or heavier with the 60-70 psi, 10 ply, 'E' rated tires!
The price of them will make your knees get weak.

kevin c
12-08-2021, 12:13 PM
Not just expensive but mostly unavailable.

I ordered a set of four Michelins for my sedan. Costco only had two that were mounted to replace the bad tires on the car, but it’s been two MONTHS and the other tires still haven’t been shipped from the manufacturer because they have no stock. My local tire center finally located some 475 miles away at another Costco and will have them sent over at their expense.

Oyeboten
12-08-2021, 12:16 PM
I have a 1980 Ford E-250 Club Wagon, which I bought about five years ago, fairly low miles, and seller mentioned how nice the Tires were ( which he had put on in 1982 ).

Okay, so, fast forward a ways, and I did some TLC things, and put it in to daily use about 3 years ago, nice Michelene Tires, plenty of nice Tread, and, after a while, one blew right outside of Town ( small Farming Town, rural Kansas ) and I limped back home at a walking pace on the rim ( Driver's side front ).

So, I put on the Spare, went to the two local places which work on Cars and Trucks to see if the had a good used Tire, and, no luck.

So, drive to a larger City to see some Tire Places to find a good used one, and blew a 2nd Tire on the Interstate, I felt it coming and slowed down, pulled WAY over, and, had to get a Tow Truck to bring me home since no Spare now...(50 miles, ugh! ).

Tow driver said "Those Tires look pretty old! No wonder you are blowing them!"

I said, "Well, 1982 I think..."

Well, I did not know that that was an issue, till this..and when they blew, they REALLY blew! Yeeeesh! Steel Wires sticking out and like a Grenade went off inside.

The 1980 Club Wagon takes 8.50 - 16.5 Tires, ten or twelve ply, 85 PSI, and I called around to every place within 100 Miles, and no one had any, but they said they could 'order them in' and it was always like mid upper 2s per Tire, not counting Mounting and Balance.

Got on line and found them on 'Amazon' brand New, Firestones, $135.00 a piece, ordered four, and they arrived to my front Porch in two days. Local place did Mounting and Balance for $85.00 Bucks, and did a great job.

So, Happy Van! Happy me!

Randy Bohannon
12-08-2021, 12:19 PM
Just put Michelains 20” for 2018 F150 $1300 and some change mounted,balanced,service warranty . I was hoping for $200.00 a tire.

wolfwing
12-08-2021, 12:22 PM
This is where I get my P/U tires, https://www.treadwright.com/collections/filter.
It does help to have an extra set of rims and to run a summer set and a winter set. Generally the more aggressive the tread is - the shorter the life. I run the Dirt Lords in the summer and the Claws in the winter. Avoid the Wardens for snow use - they didn't do so well on my wife's Jeep.

trebor44
12-08-2021, 01:02 PM
So I have a set of Michelin Ice-X (225/60 R17) studless with MB alloy rims listed locally for $550. Lot of looky lews buy no takers. Would swap them on the Subaru Outback for the winter so they are in excellent condition with hardly any wear showing. The Michelins on my truck are still going strong and do well on snow and ice. I keep thinking I need to replace them but they refuse to wear down to the 'wear' bars.
I do have some like new studded Firestones for the truck but they are past the "ten year" date and no shop will do the change over (they are on wheels). So in theory high miles or ten years you will have to replace the tires. Is that a conspiracy?

waksupi
12-08-2021, 01:35 PM
I’m surprised 33 inch tires weren’t more.
Just my opinion but the sipe business is a waste.

Since you are in Florida, I can see where you don't find much use for siped tires. I, on the other hand, live in NW Montana, and they have a definite use in this area! Big difference on icy mountain roads.

David2011
12-08-2021, 01:46 PM
April of 2020 I bought tires for my 2000 F-150 4x4. I replaced off road mud tires that were starting to crack with street tires. I’ve moved from a more rural area where I drove off road a lot to the suburbs. It’s main purpose now is hauling lumber and other large items. The truck is probably not driven more than 1000-2000 miles per year and it’s always my choice when to drive it so I generally avoid driving it in bad weather.

It got cheap Coopers. At that time I paid about $450 for four, drive out. They will probably still look near new when they rot from sun exposure. High end tires wouldn’t hold up any better.

Cosmic_Charlie
12-08-2021, 02:10 PM
We have 18" tires on our Toyota Avalon. It has Continental all seasons on it. Bought 8/20. they were shocking too. Hanging that middle class shingle out is going to be quite costly going forward.........

georgerkahn
12-08-2021, 02:31 PM
On my Toyota pickup I run Blizzak tires. Of highest importance for any snow/winter tire is the Alpine designation -- a requirement for winter tires in Canada which meet stringent specs. The Blizzaks are admittedly a tad louder as well as a tad rougher ride than the Kevlar summer tires... But, their performance in snow and on slippery pavements more than makes up for it. What was, in the old days, a "hundred dollar ding", or a slide ending up requiring a $400.00 bumper replacement.... *NOW* that same "ding" might run $2,000.00 to repair; and -- forget bumpers as they're mostly painted material attached to the vehicle's body. By no means an inexpensive fix either.
The M+S (Mud and Snow) rating is subjective, too -- not as good as Alpine. The M+S comes from designer intent; the Alpine needs meet and/or exceed government standards.292828
geo

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-08-2021, 02:38 PM
So I have a set of Michelin Ice-X (225/60 R17) studless with MB alloy rims listed locally for $550. Lot of looky lews buy no takers. Would swap them on the Subaru Outback for the winter so they are in excellent condition with hardly any wear showing.

>>>SNIP
I have been looking for something just like that for my Toyota Rav4.
Problem is, Toyota's (and I assume other manufacturers) put different lug bolt patterns and wheel offsets on all the different models...and some same models but different years. There is so many combinations, you almost have to find a buyer with same year/model of vehicle.

I've responded to countless ads for used snowtire/wheel sets. I end up being a looky lew, because after I research the actual dimensions of the wheels for sale, I learn they are different than my vehicle.
...with that said, I did find a set a few days ago, but they are over 300 miles away (near Roseau, MN). They are working out a way to get them closer to me, so I can buy them...time will tell...lots of hassle for them to sell me 4 rusty wheels with half worn snow tires mounted.

megasupermagnum
12-08-2021, 03:39 PM
Siping definitely helps a lot, but that is nothing to what a purpose snow tire can do. All it does is essentially turn a mud tire into an all terrain. I've got two sets of tires for the truck right now. Cooper Discoverer STT Pro, which are a purpose mud/offroad tire. They dig like you would not believe, and are great for gravel roads, since they hardly kick up any rocks, other than the occasional really big stone that gets your attention. The problem is they are death traps on any kind of ice. They are a relatively hard rubber, and while they will go through snow, any hard surface is scary. Siping would not help that much, and would shorten their already short lifespan.

I just put on the Cooper Snow Claw tires, and they are unreal. Saturday we had a blizzard, and I could hardly move in the driveway with the mud tires. I put the Snow Claw's on, and I barely even worried that the roads were pure ice. It must have been really bad, as everyone else seemed to struggle to do 20 mph. Both sets I bought 2 years ago. The Discoverer STT Pro is 31x10.5r15, the Snow Claw is 265/75R16. The Snow Claw's I think were cheaper. I remember about $800 for 4 of the STT Pro, and about $700 for 4 of the Snow Claw, all mounted and balanced. This was from Andy's Auto in Annandale, MN, great place if you are anywhere near buy. I never found any way to beat their prices. Even the tires alone were more from tire rack or other places.

The big problem I found was getting rims. It wasn't that long ago you could buy steel rims for practically nothing from a junk yard. I don't know when or why that changed, but now even steel rims everyone wants top dollar. It was actually cheaper for me to buy a set of used mounted tires and rims, then sell the used tires after I put on the Snow Claw's.

rockrat
12-08-2021, 04:58 PM
I have been getting my tires from Walmart.com and having them shipped to the house. Out of the city limits, so tax is less. Walmart will mount them for free. Did pay for lifetime balancing and tire hazard, $95 IIRC. Local tire place wanted $400 more for a set than what I paid altogether.

richbug
12-08-2021, 05:51 PM
Since you are in Florida, I can see where you don't find much use for siped tires. I, on the other hand, live in NW Montana, and they have a definite use in this area! Big difference on icy mountain roads.

Are you allowed studs? Sipes help in packed snow, but I have never seen they do any good on ice. We run studded true snow tires(which are siped) from November till march here in the snow belt.

Kraschenbirn
12-08-2021, 08:10 PM
My buddy just dropped almost $4K on a set of Continentals for his Porsche 911 Cabriolet...and that didn't include install and balance.

Bill

Bmi48219
12-08-2021, 08:28 PM

We left the gravel roads of rural Michigan when I semi-retired. Prior to that I averaged 55K a year to & from work. No mountains but plenty of ice & snow. First I heard of siping was when I bought tires for the younger daughter’s car. I couldn’t see the logic in cutting razor thin slits in the wear portion of a tire’s tread but if it works, it works.
I don’t imagine tire manufacturers are too keen on the concept.

tinsnips
12-08-2021, 08:52 PM
Bought 2 sets of 10 ply pickup tires for my 3/4 work pickups 2200.00 that was before the price increase.

megasupermagnum
12-08-2021, 10:09 PM
We left the gravel roads of rural Michigan when I semi-retired. Prior to that I averaged 55K a year to & from work. No mountains but plenty of ice & snow. First I heard of siping was when I bought tires for the younger daughter’s car. I couldn’t see the logic in cutting razor thin slits in the wear portion of a tire’s tread but if it works, it works.
I don’t imagine tire manufacturers are too keen on the concept.

On the contrary, siping is LOVED by manufacturers. Just look at snow tires. They are all siping, no solid blocks at all.

@richbug, we are allowed studs here, but I don't see anyone running them. I've never tried them myself. It seems to me that you will not beat a snow tire on snow. Minnesota for example gets snow on the roads, but the uber taxed system has them plowed in no time flat, and salted like the ocean. Here in SD being flat and windy, low taxes, it can be days for roads to be plowed, and a lot of rural roads don't seem to be salted at all except at certain intersections. The wind blows the snow away, but leave the roads a sheet of ice. That's another advantage of snow tires, they come with the intentions of having studs. I'm not sure if I'll add them to mine or not.

Idaho45guy
12-09-2021, 12:39 AM
Broke down and bought a set of tires from Discount Tire. Bought the relatively new Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrain AT. They have the mountain snowflake designation and were the best deal I could find. With my military discount and Discount CC discount, I paid just under $900 for 4 tires delivered to my door.

Local Midas Muffler will install them for under $90.

I spent hours doing research and reviewing videos from tire experts and normal consumers. Second place was the Firestone Destination XT.

I can sell my current set of tires for $500, so will be around $500 to get a brand new set of highly rated snow tires. Very happy.

megasupermagnum
12-09-2021, 12:48 AM
That's not bad, Goodyear wranglers are often considered one of the best AT's around. I forgot to expand on my previous comment on rims. Things have changed drastically in the last 10 years on rims. For decades the 15" rim was the gold standard. Now all of a sudden they are hardly seen. Less and less tires are even made for a 15" truck rim every year. For a few years 17" rims meant you had to take it in the wallet. Now I don't even know. It seems 17" tires aren't that bad anymore, 20" rims are common now, but a 19" rim means you had better have deep pockets. It's all over the map. I wish we could at least halfway standardize on a rim size again.

waksupi
12-09-2021, 01:06 PM
Are you allowed studs? Sipes help in packed snow, but I have never seen they do any good on ice. We run studded true snow tires(which are siped) from November till march here in the snow belt.

Studs are legal here. When I got my current pickup, the tires weren't siped, and I couldn't make the last curve to my cabin on the ice. Went and had them siped, made it in, more or less in control.

popper
12-09-2021, 01:14 PM
Wait till you have to buy a battery.

memtb
12-09-2021, 01:44 PM
Got another price quote......I was wrong! The price for 4 was a bit over $1800.00! :groner:! memtb

SSG_Reloader
12-09-2021, 01:58 PM
I read this and shuddered a bit as I know I'll need to be ordering some new tires for my f350 soon. They are 37" and that price tag is atrocious, especially for a good tire. At least I have a first born son I can sell to help pay for them.

That being said, anyone run 37" tires that have performed exceptionally well? Preferably all terrain.

Idaho45guy
12-09-2021, 04:47 PM
I read this and shuddered a bit as I know I'll need to be ordering some new tires for my f350 soon. They are 37" and that price tag is atrocious, especially for a good tire. At least I have a first born son I can sell to help pay for them.

That being said, anyone run 37" tires that have performed exceptionally well? Preferably all terrain.

Some pretty good choices in that size. All are between $400 and $500 per tire. :shock:

These are getting some good reviews...

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/mickey-thompson-baja-boss-a-t-tires/prod7460002?Tire+Height_PQ=37

rockrat
12-10-2021, 12:47 AM
Bought some tires late this Spring. Went down to the Flatlands for Niece's graduation so waited till I got back home to order them. wished I had ordered them before I left as they went up $50 per tire by the time I got back home.