PDA

View Full Version : Ever gotten a professional massage before?

Idaho45guy
12-08-2021, 05:18 AM
I had not, until today.

I'm not counting the one in Olongapo City in the Philippines in 1991, either...

I switched jobs at work from a cushy security job with horrible hours to one with great hours but much more physical work. I've been pretty sedentary for a few years, and when I started using hand tools and doing a lot of bending and reaching, my muscles did not like it.

My average steps for a day went from 800, to around 5000, according to my phone. I went to my Chiropractor when my back, shoulders, and knee started complaining.

He recommended a massage. He said I was so tight and screwed up that he couldn't adjust me. His wife happened to be a professional masseuse in his office, so I agreed, but a bit skeptical.

Now, these are unique people. My chiropractor is in his late 40's, American, is ethnically Jewish, but is a Muslim. His wife is in her 30's, Moroccan and fresh off the boat, super attractive, and a Muslim. His receptionist is a beautiful Greek girl.

He is always telling me that I need to get a Moroccan girl.

So, I show up for the massage, flirt with the receptionist, then the wife comes out and leads me into a dark room with candles and incense. She tells me to strip, except for my skivvies, and lay down.

She returns a few minutes later, and proceeds to give me an amazing massage. Calling it a massage seems insulting, because she expertly worked every muscle in my body in a way that brought instant relief and healing.

She remarked that my muscles and joints were incredibly tight. She worked on my for an hour and we talked about food, women, and religion. She of course tried to convert me to Islam. Promised that if I converted, she could introduce me to her female friends that would treat me like a king and support me in any way I desired. She said American women were selfish and spoiled and that Muslim women knew how to treat their men.

I politely declined the sales pitch but agreed to get a massage at least once a month to try and fix my body.

Since I have never had a medicinal massage, I'm wondering if they are all so good. I would rather get my massages without the Islamic sales pitch or temptation.

12-08-2021, 07:35 AM
Get a foam roller and foam ball and use it daily to stretch your back.

Stretch frequently. Drink more water.

contender1
12-08-2021, 07:36 AM
I've never had a professional one,, but my wife has.
She's gotten several of them over the years,, AND can tell you that there are really good ones and others,, not so much. One girl that used to do them had a car accident & it caused her to switch professions. She was my wife's favorite, because her abilities were excellent & worked great. Currently,, my wife gets one every 4-8 weeks,, and she's found a masseuse that's "pretty good" but not the same as her favorite.
Different people have different issues,, and as such, require different techniques. Finding someone who can figure it all out is what you need to have happen.

Idaho45guy
12-08-2021, 07:55 AM
Different people have different issues,, and as such, require different techniques. Finding someone who can figure it all out is what you need to have happen.

Absolutely! I was amazed when she found a muscle group that I had forgotten about that was super tender and needed work.

However, I am a skeptic. When she poked and prodded my stomach area and said that I was pre-diabetic and had liver issues, I was skeptical. But, I had been taking mouthfuls of Tylenol for about a month for my bad knee and noticed that my stools had turned light-colored. Google search revealed that too much used of painkillers can cause the liver to stop producing bile.

I had stopped all use of OTC painkillers about a week before and noticed an improvement in the darkening of stools. But the blood samples indicated a problem with my liver. This woman, by poking around my liver and gut, had figured out the issue and treatment all on her own. Cool!

Finster101
12-08-2021, 08:03 AM
I would quit just over the religion aspect of it. Not necessarily because they are muslim but any religion. I respect everyone's views but I'm paying for a service not a sermon.

Thumbcocker
12-08-2021, 09:49 AM
Online yoga. Free. Yoga with Adrian is on YouTube. She is very good.

RogerDat
12-08-2021, 10:07 AM
Yep. Trying to avoid another back surgery. If it wasn't so expensive I would go more often. Once a month seems to help and she provided a couple of stretches that really seem to relieve pressure on nerves of lower back.

My left foot is partly numb, at one point she starts working on my left leg and suddenly I can feel sensation returning to that foot. Helps me get "upright" with head up, shoulders relaxed and down and back straight. By the time I go back head is sort of scrunched from tight muscles, shoulders are up and bracing the neck as well as wrapped around my front which causes me to hunch over.

I also use ice packs. Cut the pain down and muscles that are numb are not as tight. Chiropractor used to cover my back with ice packs to do adjustments. Needed because back then I was doing very physical labor and if I could feel the pressure and brace for it nothing would adjust. Ice kept things numb enough to adjust.

Beagle333
12-08-2021, 11:04 AM
No. Never tried it. Maybe one day..... I'm only 57. ;)

Winger Ed.
12-08-2021, 11:53 AM
Ya got a sermon instead of a happy ending?
You might consider going back to the P.I. next time.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-08-2021, 02:58 PM
Yes I have.

I am not a fan of Chiropractors. I suspect I never had an issue that a Chiropractor could fix? (knock on wood)

Onto the therapeutic massage story:
a couple decades ago, while laying bricks in a underground stairway, I overworked my Back. I went to the Chiropractor, because my insurance would cover some of the bill. I wasn't impressed. He took some xrays, and hooked me up to a electric shock machine that messaged the muscles for 15 minutes and told me to come back next week. He said it'll likely take many treatments to fix my problem.

After that Chiropractor visit, I complained to some friends about this. They tell me that I probably pulled a muscle and I should try a therapeutic massage, because Chiropractors are more about bones, than muscles.

I look around locally for a masseuse, one of the local hairstylists advertised therapeutic massage, $35 an hour (this was 20 years ago), it sure seemed reasonable. So I make an appointment. The masseuse asked my what the problem was, so she could concentrate on that area. Let me tell you, she really worked over those muscles well. Afterward, she said to drink a lot of water, so the body could flush the toxins out. She said that I'd probably need another message in a couple weeks...but just the one did it.

Since that time, when ever I have overworked my back, I make an appointment for a message and it has always done the trick.

rockrat
12-08-2021, 05:08 PM
Drink plenty of fluids to help flush out the bad stuff out of your body. You will probably be even more sore the next day

Use to go to one that did a great job, but after so many years it damaged her fingers and shoulders. I would stumble out to the car but figured out if I went to the course and played a round of golf, I was very limber and had a good game. Once she had to retire, I have never had such a workover. Decent ones, just not great ones

MrWolf
12-08-2021, 06:48 PM
Have you ever tried the traditional acupuncture, not the type done by chiropractors? The type with the "cupping", incense, etc. Had a great one about 20 years ago that got me walking again after my first accident. She did one modern thing where she hooked up electrodes to the needles. Wow, it was phenomenal and nothing like a tens unit. My kids would say I had pepperoni back from the impressions left after the procedure. Good luck.

Geezer in NH
12-08-2021, 08:01 PM
I had one 40 years ago but had to let her go because she rubbed me the wrong way.

jsizemore
12-08-2021, 08:03 PM
My old hometown in Fla. Had a therapeutic massage school in the late 60's. After my hitch in the military, the local college used what they taught on the training table for their athletic programs for injury and warmup before/after games/events. Standard fare for most college and pro sports now. I don't hesitate to use them when I've overdone things.

Thumbcocker
12-08-2021, 09:04 PM
I'm suprised a Muslim woman was allowed to be in a room with you without a male relative present, let alone lay hands on you.

andre3k
12-08-2021, 11:53 PM
I have gotten a few over the years. They make me feel worse afterwards, all with the same symptoms. My face and hands swell up, lots of sinus congestion, and it usually feels like I got my butt kicked in a fight the following day.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SteveM54
12-09-2021, 05:09 AM
Hey bud, if you like massages go try a pedicure.
I used to laugh at my friends that did both - until I tried it.
Holy smokes batman my feet never felt so good every time.

Idaho45guy
12-09-2021, 05:48 AM
Hey bud, if you like massages go try a pedicure.
I used to laugh at my friends that did both - until I tried it.
Holy smokes batman my feet never felt so good every time.

I would never subject a woman to such torture.

myg30
12-09-2021, 08:32 AM
A good masseuse can work all the knots out of your muscles. I just recently got a few back only massage and the first one hurt because so many knots. That kind of deep tissue massage is fantastic about 2x a month especially if your back is very tight and if your a couch or recliner potato.
After I get my surgery and recuperate I’m going for a full body massage head to toe.
It really gets your circulation going. Try it, you’ll like it !!

Mike

FISH4BUGS
12-09-2021, 10:29 AM
My other half is a massage therapist and has her office right here in the house.
We remodeled a room between the house and the barn....very nice country setting.
I do not take nearly enough advantage of it, but at 72, she is slowing down and does about 2 massages a day for her long time clients.
I would suggest every other week for a few months.
See how it helps you.
There are different style of massage and you may find one style suits you better.

poppy42
12-09-2021, 07:33 PM
Drink plenty of fluids to help flush out the bad stuff out of your body. You will probably be even more sore the next day

When I was in my twenties, I had to have an upper GI Series( you know when you have to drink the barium stuff) for ulcer. Well that’s what the doctor told me right after the test were done. go drink plenty of liquids! Funny there just happened to be a tavern right across the street from the clinic. About four hours later I had all the liquids I could possibly consume!
Oh and yes I’ve had quite a few massages for various different orthopedic problems.

gwpercle
12-10-2021, 03:44 PM
My wife isn't going to fall for the ... Massage for theraputic reasons only ...
She didn't just fall off the Turnip Truck and she knows what happens when a woman touches me ...
It usually leads to other things !
Gary

alfadan
12-11-2021, 05:20 PM
I had not, until today.

I'm not counting the one in Olongapo City in the Philippines

Oh come on! Those girls ARE professionals. They dont do it for free.

beezapilot
05-03-2022, 03:16 PM
I got pretty broken once, when I had healed enough to be mobile- it was physical therapy time. PT- Personal Torture- but my insurance mandated that you went to PT AND a massage afterwards. The PT was grueling, and the massage REALLY helped after the workout. My masseuse asked me if I had pain not related to my knee. I told her that sometimes it felt like an un-insulated electrical cable under my shoulder blade, and when it shorted out it would bring tears to my eyes. She said she knew what that was, that she could fix it, but... it was gonna HURT A LOT when she did it. Told me to take a precautionary leak prior to the event (and I'm glad I did)- Most intense pain I've ever felt when she "adjusted" me. BUT- no problem at all ever since.

Oolongapo... the massages there were like eating peanuts, couldn't stop at just one....

Hick
05-03-2022, 09:07 PM
seems to me the benefits of a professional massage would depend a lot on the profession of the professional-- just sayin'

~JM~
05-03-2022, 10:15 PM
Yes I have.

Quality/technique of massage therapists varies... A lot!

If you can find a +/- 6 foot tall gal, that grew up working on a farm/country life, you probably have a good one.

Drink the extra water & look up: Myofascial (my-o-FASH-e-ul) Release

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/back-pain/expert-answers/myofascial-release/FAQ-20058136

warren5421
05-03-2022, 10:44 PM
I get a deep tissue massage once a week. I have Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and osteoarthritis (OA) in my spine. They cause muscle spasm up and down my back into my legs. The physical therapist that does my massage has been doing it for me about 3 years. Sometimes it hurts bad other times it just hurts. It fells so much better after she is done and I am still walking not riding a wheelchair like the doctor told me I would be doing.

Land Owner
05-04-2022, 06:00 AM
My spouse convinced me to get one with her - a couple's massage. I've been skeptical but have been twice. The first one, a month ago and done by a gal, I was sore all over afterward. As the soreness went away, some 48-hours later, it logically made me "feel better". Still, I was not convinced.

The 2nd one, this month, meh, not so much. Same gal, different massage (I think), though I asked for the same as the last. It seemed much less intense (perhaps I wasn't as uptight) and more like her leaning on muscle groups (forearm on backs of legs) rather than strong hands, breaking capillaries (to be certain), then squeezing the muscle (blood out). I did not feel at all sore or as if I had gotten much out of the 2nd one.

I may have one more though. I want to feel like my muscles have been "worked". If the gal can't do it, perhaps the massage guy can. I'll let you know - next month.

FISH4BUGS
05-04-2022, 07:16 AM
My other half IS a massage therapist. I would suggest weekly for a month, then go to twice a month until you think you are ready for monthly. Most of her clients are twice monthly.
It is real and it works.
I think i would go away and find a different therapist, only because of the religion sermon, but that's just me.

Rapier
05-04-2022, 07:55 AM
Usually the Shot Show has massage tables set up on the main floor near the middle, next to an exterior wall. 3-4 days of walking around on that big concrete floor is hard on your back, feet and legs. I have stopped in several times over the years during the show for a bit of relief. I found that when the pain starts it only gets worse when the muscles start to tighten up, if you try to ignore it.

I also went through physical therapy after a shoulder rebuild and back operations. The shoulder rebuild was not a pleasure massage.

memtb
05-04-2022, 09:14 AM
Nope…..never had enough money! Though, I understand that a good masseuse rivals a good chiropractor (which I have used)! :) memtb

waksupi
05-04-2022, 12:24 PM
I've had several over the years. Last time, I had the massage, followed by chiropractor adjustment. Then went to the hot spring for an hour. I was like a limp noodle for the rest of the day, and felt great.

fixit
05-04-2022, 12:40 PM
I've had limited access to therapeutic massage, and I will echo the fact that it depends on the therapist.....some act like they're afraid of hurting you, and others may actually be sadists......but a good massage is an amazing thing!!!! I'm very much about manual labor and get knots on knots, so a wimpy massage won't cut it. Wife of a friend is a licensed therapist, and I hope to schedule with her soon. Hubby says she's brutal, but he acknowledges that he's a wimp!

popper
05-04-2022, 01:06 PM
Once by a Chiropractor. Then he tried to crack my neck. Never going back. A roller or vibrator from wife only anymore. Hair cut lady uses one on the shoulders that feels good for an hour.

MT Gianni
05-04-2022, 08:11 PM
Had several chair massages. You sit backwards on a chair while they work the neck, shoulders and upper back. I had frequent chiropractic visits when I worked, at least 8-10 a year. My pipe wrenches weighed 60 lbs so you can imagine what I through around every day. In the 5 years since I retired, I may have gone 5 times.

farmbif
05-04-2022, 08:16 PM
oh yeah. I had Rolfing therapy, where the muscle is separated from the fascia tissue.