PDA

View Full Version : Violated my own rule....dang it

murf205
12-06-2021, 02:33 PM
My self imposed rule is to never have 2 different kinds of powder on the bench at the same time. I was loading 223's and had about 3/4 lb of TAC on the bench and about 1/4 lb can of BL-c2 on a table adjoining. I picked it up and poured it into the powder measure and set it on the bench. Dropped 10 rounds of BL-c2 in some cases and seated the Sierras. About this time my grandson came in and started pestering me to use the computer and I told him to wait a min till I got everything put away. Then I took the powder measure and promptly dumped the BL-c2 into the TAC can! The minute I did it I knew I had boo booed. Oh well, it made the trip to Mama Murf's rose garden. I know I am not the only one to do this but the only other time this happened powder was $3.05 a lb.

Dusty Bannister
12-06-2021, 02:41 PM
There are those who have, and those who will. Just have a distraction at the wrong time and.....

G W Wade
12-06-2021, 02:51 PM
I bought a Sinclair powder bottle adapter for my RCBS Uniflow. It's an aluminum adapter that lets you screw a Hodgdon bottle directly onto my measure. Powder never leaves the origional bottle except to go into case. They sell bottles for powder that does not come with that style can/bottle. GW

megasupermagnum
12-06-2021, 03:02 PM
I bought a Sinclair powder bottle adapter for my RCBS Uniflow. It's an aluminum adapter that lets you screw a Hodgdon bottle directly onto my measure. Powder never leaves the origional bottle except to go into case. They sell bottles for powder that does not come with that style can/bottle. GW

It would still have to come out for a trickler. No doubt your way reduces the risk, but I'd rather keep my baffle.

GregLaROCHE
12-06-2021, 04:47 PM
I started only to keep all powder at the other end of the room, except the one I was using. That was after I dumped a half full Lyman 55 back into the wrong container. The one I put it in was almost full too. I didn’t want to loose all that powder, so I cut the top of the plastic bottle off a good ways below the level of the powder and removed the contaminated part. I was lucky the two powders had very different looking grains, so I could be sure I got it all.

762 shooter
12-06-2021, 05:12 PM
Ones that have and ones that haven't yet.

NC_JEFF
12-06-2021, 05:39 PM
I'm guilty, cost me almost an entire pound of Titegroup, lesson learned

45-70 Chevroner
12-06-2021, 06:05 PM
Did it one time about 50 years ago. My rule was the same as yours back then and still is today, haven't done it since. I was buying powder back then for less than $3.00 a pound but I was only making about $6.00 an hour.

Bloodman14
12-06-2021, 06:06 PM

Winger Ed.
12-06-2021, 06:55 PM
I started only to keep all powder at the other end of the room, except the one I was using. .

^^this^^

I haven't mistakenly mixed any powders yet, and I'm sure trying not to either.:bigsmyl2:

It's an easy deal for me. The bench is on one end of the shop, all the powders are in a cabinet on the other.
I don't have multiple presses set up at the same time for different calibers either.
I'll set up to load one cal. for what I think I'll shoot for a year or two,
clear & clean the bench, and then set up for the next one.

charlie b
12-06-2021, 07:10 PM
^^^^
Best one yet!!

Have not contaminated a jug of powder yet. I did have a full powder measure and lost track of what was in it. Had to dump it all.

Markopolo
12-06-2021, 07:24 PM
this is why I love the aliant "dot" powders... sooooo nice to see them red dots!!!!

gwpercle
12-06-2021, 07:36 PM
The more expensive the broken rule ... the more likely I'm going to remember it !

Good catch on the boo-boo ... You get a big ATTABOY for being alert !

Gary

murf205
12-06-2021, 09:35 PM
Thanks Gary. I am not into duplex loads so that's why the rose bushes got the uh oh. I waited 2 months for that darned TAC!

waksupi
12-07-2021, 01:17 PM
Considering the slow burn rate of BL C(2) in the .223, and considering how cheap I am, I probably would have used the TAC loading info and used it for plinking powder. The BL C(2) would have acted as a filler.

Prepared to catch hell from everyone!

skeettx
12-07-2021, 01:22 PM
Logic is OK waksupi, but how do you do load duplication if the
mix is the most accurate thing you have ever loaded? he he he

RogerDat
12-07-2021, 01:27 PM
I have same rule. Have caught myself on two occasions violating it but kids and grandkids not around and apparently wife was taking a break from her supervision of my activities so I managed to dodge a mix. But I figure sooner or later..... when not if as they say.

dondiego
12-07-2021, 01:50 PM
I never throw powder away. There are just too many pyrotechnic options...............

brassrat
12-07-2021, 02:33 PM
I guess this is one mistake I havent made yet. `unlike yesterdays change to a heavier j word at the last minute and kept the same powder plans. Lucky for my old manuals that say ok maybe at max.

murf205
12-07-2021, 03:13 PM
I never throw powder away. There are just too many pyrotechnic options...............

I was tempted but when there is a VERY inquisitive 7 yr old around you don't want to encourage that!!!

DDriller
12-07-2021, 05:46 PM
I was breaking down some shot shells and dumped shot in my powder, didn't realize it until I started loading some shells. 25 gr. on first one, 58 gr. on the next one, 69 gr. on the last one. Thought my measure was screwed up so I tore it all apart an put it back. Then threw some more and they were screwed up too. Calibrated the scale with same results again. Finally saw a piece of 8 1/2 shot in the pan. 3 ounces of 8 1/2 shot in a 4# jug sure takes a lot of time to find. Didn't have a screen that would work.

gc45
12-07-2021, 06:19 PM
Your not the first nor the last to do this; guilty, guilty, guilty myself. The goods news is, most of us will discard the powder learning an exspensive lesson.

Daekar
12-08-2021, 06:51 AM
Done it! I made that rule for myself too, so far it has been an effective mitigation.

Glad I'm not the only one...

jban
12-08-2021, 08:07 AM
I guess it pays to keep a cluttered bench. I only have room for 1 can of powder on it. LOL

murf205
12-08-2021, 02:27 PM
The last time I pulled this stunt was in 1972 I believe. I distinctly remember that it was IMR 4350 that I poured into a can of H4831. 49 yrs ago. I guess if I do it every 49 yrs I will only be 123 yrs old then. Wonder what reloading and casting will be like in 2070??

blackthorn
12-08-2021, 02:31 PM
The last time I pulled this stunt was in 1972 I believe. I distinctly remember that it was IMR 4350 that I poured into a can of H4831. 49 yrs ago. I guess if I do it every 49 yrs I will only be 123 yrs old then. Wonder what reloading and casting will be like in 2070??

I really hate to rain on your parade---but---If you did that 49 years ago and you only do that every 49 years---time up, so, be VERY careful this next year!!

WRideout
12-08-2021, 04:57 PM
this is why I love the aliant "dot" powders... sooooo nice to see them red dots!!!!

That's how I discovered I had poured a can of Green dot into a can of Unique.

Wayne

beemer
12-08-2021, 08:04 PM
Logic is OK waksupi, but how do you do load duplication if the
mix is the most accurate thing you have ever loaded? he he he

I resemble that remark.

fast ronnie
12-08-2021, 09:43 PM
I was breaking down some shot shells and dumped shot in my powder, didn't realize it until I started loading some shells. 25 gr. on first one, 58 gr. on the next one, 69 gr. on the last one. Thought my measure was screwed up so I tore it all apart an put it back. Then threw some more and they were screwed up too. Calibrated the scale with same results again. Finally saw a piece of 8 1/2 shot in the pan. 3 ounces of 8 1/2 shot in a 4# jug sure takes a lot of time to find. Didn't have a screen that would work.

Sounds like you need a lead magnet.

FLINTNFIRE
12-08-2021, 11:59 PM
Considering the slow burn rate of BL C(2) in the .223, and considering how cheap I am, I probably would have used the TAC loading info and used it for plinking powder. The BL C(2) would have acted as a filler.

Prepared to catch hell from everyone!

No hell here to give , I would have probably loaded some plinking loads also , in this time of short supply .

But I load light rounds with old surplus for the youngest son to learn with .

Guess I am cheap to .

dondiego
12-09-2021, 12:41 PM
I was tempted but when there is a VERY inquisitive 7 yr old around you don't want to encourage that!!!

He would love it. Use it as a safety teaching opportunity! My dad bought me either a Chemistry Set or a Gilbert Microscope set every year for Christmas. I later went on to get a BS in Biology and Chemistry.

dondiego
12-09-2021, 12:45 PM

I have done that many times. Take the contaminated powder/shot and pour it into a long, flat bottomed pan. Tilt pan. Shot quickly rolls down to one end, powder stays at the other end.

dale2242
12-10-2021, 07:53 AM
Having loaded for more than 50 years , I haven`t done that.
I fill the hopper of whichever measure I am using and set the can of powder next to it.
I never, I repeat, never have 2 different powders on the bench at the same time.

murf205
12-10-2021, 12:08 PM
He would love it. Use it as a safety teaching opportunity! My dad bought me either a Chemistry Set or a Gilbert Microscope set every year for Christmas. I later went on to get a BS in Biology and Chemistry.

He probably would love it. My dad bought a chemistry set for me for Christmas as well and the result was some purple stain on the wall of my room and my clothes as well. Maybe the chemistry set was what made an electrician out of me.

lightman
12-10-2021, 01:38 PM
Glad you caught this boo boo. I've haven't done that. Yet!!! But I'm pretty set on only having one can of powder out at a time.