PDA

View Full Version : Daisy Loves Me!

Ithaca Gunner
12-06-2021, 10:40 AM
Maybe a little too much... The single mom across the road has a very ambitious Black Lab named, Daisy. Daisy's about two years old and full of life, she comes over to our place almost everyday to play with our dogs while her owner and kids are away at work and school, no problem. She stays a few hours, plays and we take her back when the kids come home. Daisy has grown particularly fond of me, if she does something bad she runs to me for council and protection.

I got up this morning, let our dogs out, fed and watered them, and let them back in, a normal morning until about 15 minutes after letting the dogs in there was a stampede sound through the house, a happy invader ran to me tail banging off the desk and back out of the room and up the stairs, back down the stairs. ''Daisy! How did you get in?'' That's a mystery, both doors were closed and latched, no one let her in, but there she was, happily bouncing around the house. I'm a dog magnet!

The wife doesn't see the humor in being invaded by a crafty dog, but I'm still laughing about it! I guess she's here till the kids come home.

Puppy Daisy.

Adult Daisy and my Border Collie, Shadow playing with a stick.

MUSTANG
12-06-2021, 10:44 AM
In the last 40 years every dog we have had "Adopted Us". All Labs (Except for Delila - a German Shepard). My wife thinks I am a Dog Magnet too.

Ithaca Gunner
12-06-2021, 12:49 PM
When we went to get a Border Collie pup Shadow jumped up at me right away as if to say, ''You're mine!'' and so I am. He's the smartest and best dog we've ever had, though a bit possessive. He thinks he should go everywhere I go and pay no attention to other dogs, don't even mention their names.

This is how he is! I'm well guarded and protected.

MrWolf
12-06-2021, 09:13 PM
Do your doors have lever handles? They delivered my sleep number bed Monday morning and I put the dogs in the laundry room/ their feeding room. About 15 mins later they come running out. They didn't notice guys in bedroom but ran for the door as they could see the truck. I am positive I shut that door.

Ithaca Gunner
12-06-2021, 09:57 PM
No, they're old fashion knobs. I too thought I had closed the door when I let the dogs in, but maybe I left it a-jar. It was a surprise when I heard the pounding of paws and Daisy came running into the room! That turned into a canine stampede with my dogs. Daisy never runs off, she always comes here to see me, so she's safe when she's no home. No big deal, if I had known she was out, I would have left her in anyway.

Idaho45guy
12-07-2021, 04:50 AM
Nice that you live in a neighborhood where a friendly wandering dog is tolerated.

My Rowdy was a gentle giant of a Lab/Great Dane mix and he LOVED kids. Every so often he would manage to escape and go find some kids to play with. By the time he passed, he was loved by all the neighbors and kids.

He was a dog so special and awesome that I don't want to gamble on trying to find another one as good and end up being disappointed.

MrWolf
12-07-2021, 08:07 AM
Nice that you live in a neighborhood where a friendly wandering dog is tolerated.

My Rowdy was a gentle giant of a Lab/Great Dane mix and he LOVED kids. Every so often he would manage to escape and go find some kids to play with. By the time he passed, he was loved by all the neighbors and kids.

He was a dog so special and awesome that I don't want to gamble on trying to find another one as good and end up being disappointed.

Ruger, my Great Pyrenees in my avatar, is gentle just like that. Also not a licker but loves giving me hugs on my shoulder and will gently lay his head on my stomach if I am laying on the floor to wake me. The pure Great Pyrenees (look for the extra dew claws) are livestock guardian dogs. They can be stubborn but if you have the time and patience to train them, they are phenomenal. He is my best friend and best dog I have ever known. He is about 160+ and they shed a lot, but it is always Christmas around here with the shedding snow drifts. He immediately took to my gf and her 80 lb short hair pointer, so we adopted both of them too.
Ron

jsizemore
12-07-2021, 08:55 AM
I vote for the secret opposing thumb to open doors.

gunther
12-07-2021, 09:43 AM
unscrewing lids off of plastic peanut butter jars takes too long. Just bite it! From Doberman's book of knowledge.

Markopolo
12-07-2021, 10:03 AM
I am a self confessed dog magnet....

but being in Alaska, there have been rumors of Hunting dogs crossing with reindeer occasionally!!!!

Ithaca Gunner
12-07-2021, 10:29 AM

The most anybody will do to a wandering dog around here is shoo them away. I've had a few show up that I didn't know where they belonged, one poor old fellow, skinny with ribs and spine showing through his skin. I took him in for a meal, but it was plain to see he wanted to be on his way so after he filled himself up, he went on his way. We've had quite a few unknown to us canine visitors over the years, we feed em and if they want to be on their way, so be it, if not they're welcome to stay until we find their family. The longest stay was five days, a Black Lab who wandered almost ten miles from his farm. Lucky we found posters with his picture on a phone pole with a number to call. Those people were at work in the city and left to come get the dog the moment we said we had him. They thought they had lost him forever. They can sense people who get along with dogs better than other people. We've taken in unwanted dogs with the pact, ''We'll grow old together.''

MaryB
12-07-2021, 02:12 PM
My black lab Misty loved kids. I started taking her to work with me where she would lay in a corner of the shop and just watch things go by. Unless a family with kids came in to shop(appliance/TV store). My boss was hesitant at first about her being there but she started playing gently with the kids and keeping them occupied so mom and dad could shop. Got to where families with kids would stop in to see her and buy small stuff if they weren't needing a new appliance. Kids asked to see her, sales went up, my boss started sneaking her treats of bacon... he didn't think I saw it LOL