PDA

View Full Version : Reservations About Consuming Venison from CWD Areas

Thundarstick
12-06-2021, 07:33 AM
I have become leery of consuming venison because of CWD. The CDC recommends not eating any deer until it is tested as negative, and discard meat from the ones that test positive.

How do you handle this situation?

winelover
12-06-2021, 07:50 AM
We had it when I resided in Michigan and it's been showing up recently in Arkansas. My county is in the CWD zone. Has never been proven that it's transmittable to humans.

Just harvest healthy acting deer. None acting weird/wobbly.

Winelover

starnbar
12-06-2021, 07:57 AM
Well it is a prion type disease and you are talking about artificial proteins so I would definitely get any meat tested and by someone who knows what they doing for the test.

TyGuy
12-06-2021, 10:15 AM
In our county we have mandatory testing for all deer taken during opening weekend of firearms season. We have taken them in for testing the last four years and all have come back negative. The first year we paid to have the meat processed. The negative test results were back before the meat was ready for pick up. The last three years I’ve processed at home. We usually have heart for breakfast the next morning and stew for dinner.

We also tend to take younger deer and MDC doesn’t seem as concerned about them. From what I’ve read it seems to be the breeding age deer that tend to spread the brain funk. Wifey’s little immature buck from a few weeks ago is already about a quarter eaten. Our results should be in soon but he was a very heathy looking lad, aside from the wonky little excuse for antlers. If the results come back positive we’ll toss the rest to the dogs. Personally, I feel like eating at a restaurant is more of a gamble than CWD.

I like my steaks medium rare, my burgers medium, and my eggs either sunny side up or over easy. I have no doubt that CWD is a major problem but life is a series of risk/reward decisions. We all have to do what we feel is right for ourselves.

trebor44
12-06-2021, 10:15 AM
CWD. mad deer, mad cow, mad elk, mad sheep and yes mad people (it has been detected). Just eat road kill, probably safer! Is there any state that does not have CWD?

Thundarstick
12-06-2021, 10:19 AM
Funny you should mention "road kill". Road killed deer are specifically warned against. I guess it makes sense because can't observe behavior of the animal.

Scrounge
12-06-2021, 11:30 AM
CWD. mad deer, mad cow, mad elk, mad sheep and yes mad people (it has been detected). Just eat road kill, probably safer! Is there any state that does not have CWD?

In humans it's called "kuru." Or Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)

Bill

gwpercle
12-06-2021, 12:06 PM
I simply try to use a little common sense when it comes to things I eat ...

But you have to remember I have eaten Pickled Pigs Lips , Squirrels , Raccoons , Spam and most things that swim , fly , creep or crawl ... use enough heat and it will kill any bacteria , virus or bug ...
Cook it well done and don't eat anything raw ... No Sue-she !
Gary

megasupermagnum
12-06-2021, 02:52 PM
What is there to think about?

If the test comes back negative, you are safer than any FDA approved beef, there is no test for mad cow. Even if it is positive, not a single human being has ever contracted CWD. It is neurological disease. The meat does not contain CWD. Don't eat the brain, and don't hacksaw the spine. As long as you don't contaminate the meat, you will not come into contact with CWD, which doesn't matter anyway, since humans can not get CWD.

Straight from the CDC. "To date, there have been no reported cases of CWD infection in people"

Who even cares what the CDC thinks at this point? They are rotten at the core.

Also, over cooking does not kill Prions, so stop ruining your steaks. Your family will thank you.

BJK
12-06-2021, 02:57 PM
Fully cooking might not kill a prion. It can survive 200°C (392°F) for 2 hours. I don't want any meat that over cooked and the prion will still be active.

Pretty good article about them. It'll ask you to accept cookies, but it can be read and not take their cookies.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/artful-amoeba/prions-are-forever/

megasupermagnum
12-06-2021, 03:00 PM
Fully cooking might not kill a prion. It can survive 200°C (392°F) for 2 hours. I don't want any meat that over cooked and the prion will still be active.

Pretty good article about them. It'll ask you to accept cookies, but it can be read and not take their cookies.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/artful-amoeba/prions-are-forever/

If you cook a steak past 200 degrees, you may as well throw the meat away, tan the hide, and eat that.

TyGuy
12-06-2021, 03:14 PM
I have read that brain matter and spinal fluid should be avoided but I don’t plan to consume those anyway.

Edit* I started my post but never finished it. It seems Megasupermagnum beat me to the punch

Idaho45guy
12-06-2021, 03:59 PM
I was out on a UTV ride a couple of weeks ago and came across a husband and wife hunting duo leaving the woods. We stopped and chatted about the dismal hunting this year due to CWD and Blue Tongue disease. The wife said she tried to shoot a doe, but it was just circling and circling "like a ballerina". She said it was weird and she never could get a shot off, but must have been trying to protect a nearby fawn.

Uh, no. That's a symptom of a diseased deer suffering from CWD. These people were actually going to shoot and eat a deer with CWD.

JimB..
12-06-2021, 04:03 PM
I don’t hunt deer, but am curious if you see a deer with symptoms do you waste a tag on it and call a game warden for disposal, or just leave it be?

megasupermagnum
12-06-2021, 04:19 PM
I don’t hunt deer, but am curious if you see a deer with symptoms do you waste a tag on it and call a game warden for disposal, or just leave it be?

That's where ethics and law collide. The ethical thing to do is shoot it. If it is during the season, then I wouldn't even hesitate. I'd then call a warden, and see how it plays out. If it wasn't in the season, then it is a lot tougher call. If it really is so sick that you contemplate shooting it, I'd say you should have enough time to call a warden first, provided you have cell reception. If not, the coyote's have to eat too.

megasupermagnum
12-06-2021, 04:22 PM
I was out on a UTV ride a couple of weeks ago and came across a husband and wife hunting duo leaving the woods. We stopped and chatted about the dismal hunting this year due to CWD and Blue Tongue disease. The wife said she tried to shoot a doe, but it was just circling and circling "like a ballerina". She said it was weird and she never could get a shot off, but must have been trying to protect a nearby fawn.

Uh, no. That's a symptom of a diseased deer suffering from CWD. These people were actually going to shoot and eat a deer with CWD.

I'm thinking you are correct, but does do circle around, often for fawns, but I've seen them do it for no apparent reason. The catch is they will take off if you get close enough. You are probably correct, but deer aren't super bright either, so I wouldn't be so certain that was a case of CWD.

white eagle
12-06-2021, 04:31 PM
you need to quit hunting and take up golf
no mad club disease
do not worry about cwd after aren't we all mad

TyGuy
12-06-2021, 05:17 PM
“We’re all mad here…”

BrassMagnet
12-06-2021, 06:05 PM

CWD wildlife are more likely to become roadkill.
Only the states that don't test are CWD free (Sure!).
Feeding deer seems to greatly increase the % with CWD.
When there are large numbers of CWD, you soon reach the point where there are no legal bucks. Sometime after that there are no longer any does mature enough to have fawns.
Cats have developed CWD. So far, no canines have developed CWD.
A CWD antelope was traced as the source of Mad Cow in people (vCJD/nvCJD) in England.
I believe our Gov't still says no one in the USA has died of nvCJD unless they traveled to Europe. Not true. A friends wife died of it without ever leaving the USA. It was probably caused by Scrapie, the sheep version. Don't eat brains!

BrassMagnet
12-06-2021, 06:08 PM
In humans it's called "kuru." Or Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)

Bill

CJB is when old people get it. New Variant/Variant CJB is when young people get it.
There have seemingly been old folks dying of it forever and then it was given a name. Now young folks have a new name.
Kuru was what they called it when cannibals got it.

BrassMagnet
12-06-2021, 06:12 PM
I simply try to use a little common sense when it comes to things I eat ...

But you have to remember I have eaten Pickled Pigs Lips , Squirrels , Raccoons , Spam and most things that swim , fly , creep or crawl ... use enough heat and it will kill any bacteria , virus or bug ...
Cook it well done and don't eat anything raw ... No Sue-she !
Gary

The prions from CWD are not destroyed in an incinerator. The Mad Cow residue in England was buried. CWD contaminated game residue in one state (Maybe Michigan) is buried in the ground after the whole is prepared with clay bottom and sides. Apparently the prions are captured and bond to the clay (or other type of barrier!)

BunkTheory
12-06-2021, 06:24 PM
mad cow can be tested for, however it requires slices of the brain to be put upon these thin pieces of glass that are called slides,a nd then looked at under a microscope..

however, the meat needs to be cooked.

Minerat
12-06-2021, 06:41 PM
In Colorado if you harvest one that tests positive the CPW will give you a new tag if you turn in the carcass that tested CWD positive. Here they only want the head for testing and recommend you avoid cutting into the spinal area. Just don't shoot one that looks or acts weird.

gwpercle
12-06-2021, 06:59 PM
I got too many things to worry about now ... it all started back in 1955 in first grade , hide under the desk because the Ruskies were going to drop the A-Bomb ...started with worry about "The Bomb" and hasn't stopped ... I need a spread sheet to keep track of what to worry about on what day ....
Anyone got a worry sheet that includes everything we should worry about ?
Gary

nannyhammer
12-06-2021, 09:09 PM
Currently I hunt in AR and OK which have had or do have CWD positive herds. I only shoot healthy looking/acting deer. We also bone out all carcasses and we hardly ever cut into any bones. If we want to save the horns we use a saw that never contacts any edible meat. If you eat brains and spinal cord/fluids you are not very bright anyway. If CWD was easily spread among other species why don't we have CWD postive possums, coons, coyotes, crows, buzzards, etc..? I know it has been transmitted to monkeys but I understood it was injected into their brains. By boning the deer you could easily freeze it, submit the haed for a test and then process it after given the all clear. However remember it can take years for it to show up in an animal. Take a few precautions and don't worry about it.

JohnH
12-06-2021, 09:58 PM
“We’re all mad here…”

Speak for yourself, I'm just mildly 'teeched

MT Gianni
12-07-2021, 01:26 AM
Montana does a free test and pull or you can mail them in. I drove the 7 miles to the testing area and visited with the two cute ladies that were pulling glands. They gave me a number and I had to wait about three weeks for results. All three animals tested negative. I process my own so I have cut it and ser it in the freezer waiting for the results. I will now grind the meat I have bagged.

Our landfill will no longer accept carcasses unless they are bagged. They do furnish a large baggie. Instructions from FWP are to leave the spine and head where you shoot it or dispose of it in a landfill. It's easy enough to do.

The only prep I do different is bone the shanks and cook them rather than Osso Bucco with the marrow.

SSGOldfart
12-07-2021, 12:59 PM
I got too many things to worry about now ... it all started back in 1955 in first grade , hide under the desk because the Ruskies were going to drop the A-Bomb ...started with worry about "The Bomb" and hasn't stopped ... I need a spread sheet to keep track of what to worry about on what day ....
Anyone got a worry sheet that includes everything we should worry about ?
Gary

Very true,guess I need one as well:groner:

yeahbub
12-15-2021, 02:02 PM
no mad club disease
Mmmm, I dunno - I see a lot of politicians of a certain association which make me strongly suspect formal membership.

These mis-shapen prions are pesky things, durable as all get out, to 200 deg C!?! A steak would be a hockey puck by the time they were seriously affected. I'll get mine tested. Like with the fake vax, my health and life are worth more than an hour's enjoyment.

BJK
12-15-2021, 05:09 PM
Check me out on this, but aren't the prions only in the nervous tissue? If so, just don't eat the brain and spine or contaminate the meat. But DO NOT take my word for that. Ask someone in the know and that's not me. But I do seem to recall getting that from somewhere many years ago.

bayjoe
12-15-2021, 10:08 PM
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/animal-disease-information/cervid/cervids-cwd/cervid-cwd
If you want to know more about CWD click on the link. Then below the article click on Human Health.
Interesting reading

Wayne Smith
12-16-2021, 08:53 AM
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/animal-disease-information/cervid/cervids-cwd/cervid-cwd
If you want to know more about CWD click on the link. Then below the article click on Human Health.
Interesting reading

Thanks for posting that - very interesting material.

yeahbub
12-16-2021, 01:40 PM
AFAIK, these prions are primarily in brain and spinal tissues/fluids, but are not absolutely confined there, but don't take that for an absolute. Moe has probably been discovered since I read about it.