PDA

View Full Version : Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?

Idaho45guy
12-05-2021, 11:12 PM
I say absolutely not. It's an action movie and a good one. But just because a movie is set around Christmas time, does not mean it is a Christmas Movie. Two such films are The Shining and Fargo. Both set around Christmas time and both feature Christmas items in them. Both are clearly not Christmas movies.

Who here thinks Die Hard is not a Christmas movie, and who here is wrong?

RoyEllis
12-05-2021, 11:27 PM
Lol, this from the guy who claimed ALL Okies were exactly like the characters in Netflix's "Tiger King". HA!
Full disclosure......I don't care for any of the 3 movies mentioned above.

trails4u
12-05-2021, 11:34 PM
Definitively a Christmas movie. Quite possibly the best ever.

BJK
12-05-2021, 11:43 PM
OK, it takes place around Christmas, but definitely not a Christmas movie. It is an action movie and I don't remember it dealing with Christmas.

Harter66
12-06-2021, 12:20 AM
Well the first one is staged against an office Christmas party with the underlying story about a marriage that could swing either way based on him showing up for the office Christmas party , ala' Hallmark theme .

It is a full blown bad guy grabs the wrong girl , short chase , hero escapes certain death , big chase scene with massive property damage , bad guy gets got in a spectacular kind of way ......so action movie ........

Theme of selfless giving , self sacrifice , boy restores girls faith in the relationship , it all happens set against the Christmas party back drop .

It's has been a seasonal staple since it's release ...... It ain't "Miracle on 34th street" .

On might argue with that "It's a wonderful life" isn't a Christmas movie but having been a seasonal staple for 50 years I'm sure of , it's pretty hard to say it's not though it opens , closes at a Christmas party ,and includes a Christmas tree set . scene .

I say it's in the eye of the beholder .

poppy42
12-06-2021, 12:20 AM
My favorite is still Bad Santa!

samari46
12-06-2021, 12:40 AM
Scrooge 1935 edition with Alistair Sim, definitely a Christmas movie. Watched the Chevy Chase Christmas movie last night. Best part was where his brother dumped the waste tank of his motor home and gramps threw a match in the sewer. Blew up and got Santa's sleigh in the process. Frank

Baltimoreed
12-06-2021, 12:41 AM
The Long Kiss Goodnight is a entertaining Christmas movie too.

12-06-2021, 01:10 AM
Just dont lick the street light post your tongue will get stuck[emoji39]

granville_it
12-06-2021, 01:37 AM
Thanks be Christmas.

The book, "Christmas Carol", Dickens, says all.

Xmas Mark

badguybuster
12-06-2021, 02:12 AM
Its NOT Christmas until I see Hans Greuber fall from.the Nakatomi building ��

BunkTheory
12-06-2021, 03:05 AM
actually if you actually look at christmas movies and at what the world has come to due to political and industrial ****ty nesss

Fargo
Die Hard
Gremlins
The Shining

All embody the seasonal stress and values of the modern industrial shopping season.

MrWolf
12-06-2021, 10:37 AM
Scrooge 1935 edition with Alistair Sim, definitely a Christmas movie. Watched the Chevy Chase Christmas movie last night. Best part was where his brother dumped the waste tank of his motor home and gramps threw a match in the sewer. Blew up and got Santa's sleigh in the process. Frank

Alistair Sim's version is the best Christmas movie. Watch it every year. We just watched It's a Wonderful Life last night and we have Christmas music on.

MostlyLeverGuns
12-06-2021, 10:58 AM
It is a Christmas movie, so is The Searchers, Hondo, Pale Rider, The Cowboys, The Christmas Story, Bad Santa, Fat Man - if your going to watch a Christmas movie, watch something YOU ENJOY.

Beagle333
12-06-2021, 11:06 AM
It's a great Christmas movie. Watched it again last night.

Handloader109
12-06-2021, 11:10 AM
Well, the first two are at Christmas time. Second plays more on the Christmas theme, at least playing some Christmas music. And I like to watch the first two. Third, not so much, 4th no.
But it is all how you see them....

Larry Gibson
12-06-2021, 11:23 AM
It's about as close to a Christmas movie as the movie "Pearl Harbor" was about the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.........

gwpercle
12-06-2021, 12:10 PM
Just dont lick the street light post your tongue will get stuck[emoji39]

LIKE !

Yeah !... That's still my favorite and one of the best :drinks:
Gary

1Hawkeye
12-06-2021, 12:15 PM
Nope I think the whole series is poo. If die hard is a Christmas movie then Quigley is an Australian tourism movie.

SteveM54
12-06-2021, 12:55 PM
Sorry but "It's a Wonderful Life" is a REAL Christmas movie.

fiberoptik
12-06-2021, 01:36 PM
The Long Kiss Goodnight is a entertaining Christmas movie too.

+1!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiberoptik
12-06-2021, 01:37 PM
Nope I think the whole series is poo. If die hard is a Christmas movie then Quigley is an Australian tourism movie.

Hey, it made me want to go there!

Noah Zark
12-06-2021, 01:44 PM
DH is a Christmas movie if I think it's a Christmas movie. And I do.

Noah

Fishman
12-06-2021, 03:59 PM
It's a better Christmas movie than most movies that claim to be Christmas movies.

And anyone who doesn't like the movie, what's wrong with you? :laugh

MUSTANG
12-06-2021, 06:30 PM
Been thinking on the Subject all day. No - Diehard is NOT a Christmas Movie; it is simply a Christmas background. Now along that same thought process -- I doubt those seemingly thousands of Hall Mark Christmas movies with the D level Actors/Actresses that have been churned out over the years are "Christmas Movies" either; after all how many times can you run the same plot - different location and entice people to watch your Hallmark (or Lookie Like Hallmark) "Christmas Movies"?

gwpercle
12-06-2021, 07:01 PM
No ... Die Hard is a battery sold by Sears !
Gary

Stewbaby
12-06-2021, 09:33 PM
Most people now under 40 years of age would say “What’s a Sears?”.

Bigslug
12-06-2021, 10:42 PM
I figure any movie with the line "Now I have a machinegun. Ho! Ho! Ho!" qualifies.

But then, my favorite "Christmas carol" is AC/DC's Highway to Hell because it purges all the damn Holly-Jolly earworms out of my head, so what do I know?:evil:

gambler2200
12-06-2021, 11:11 PM
Last night I watched Frosty Affair on YouTube
I thought that it was really good!

jj850
12-06-2021, 11:52 PM
+1!

+2 Or Maybe I am wrong, but it is fun.

Idaho45guy
12-07-2021, 04:42 AM
I really don't care if people think it's a Christmas movie. But I do get a kick out of the Christmas apparel and products that are made.

gwpercle
12-07-2021, 09:53 AM
Most people now under 40 years of age would say “What’s a Sears?”.

When did Sears go ... Dang I missed the going out of business sale !
Gary

myg30
12-09-2021, 11:15 AM
I guess if there is Snow falling, it’s thought of as a Christmas movie ?
Im leaning more towards Die hard then some of the new Hallmark Christmas movies. I don’t care for the direction they are turning now. 6-10 years ago they had some really good Christmas movies.
I don’t want to get started and banned from here. I guess I’m old because of the way I feel and the way I was brought up.

God help the USA and God bless our military !

Mike

Stewbaby
12-09-2021, 11:31 PM
I think the ‘Ho Ho Ho’ locks it as a Christmas movie:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211210/734dff26e8234989c1470ca610a2cd96.jpg

BunkTheory
12-11-2021, 01:01 PM

No, Quigley is a movie that shows the bad side effects of inbreeding

jeepyj
12-11-2021, 01:56 PM
I've heard it both ways in discussion around work. I think it's a stretch but I I'm more inclined to watch around Christmas that the 4th of July. Jeepyj

shaune509
12-11-2021, 11:01 PM
Die Hard, Lethal Weapon and Gremlins are all Christmas movies.
Shaune509

Blackhawk Convertable
12-12-2021, 12:02 AM
They do have Christmas music in the movie...soooooo.....

6string
12-12-2021, 08:16 AM
I don't know if Die Hard is truly a Christmas movie (probably not), but I seem to watch it every December!
I do recommend Fatman as a Christmas movie!
Mel Gibson is Chris Cringle (aka Santa Claus) and he is despondent over the decline in Christmas spirit and overall moral decay. Business for the workshop is so bad he is forced to take on contracts with the Department of Defense, much to his chagrin. Meanwhile, a spoiled, mean-spirited rich brat is upset for having received a lump of coal for being, well, a spoiled,mean-spirited brat. So, he hires a hitman to kill Santa. But, not just any hitman. This guy has major "Santa issues" of his own.
The plan runs into a snag when they discover this Chris Cringle shoots back!

Mal Paso
12-12-2021, 10:00 PM
Thanks! I ordered Fatman and Die Hard on Blu Ray. If you want to move data here Four Wheel Drive beats internet every time.

All set for Christmas. Ho Ho Ho

rmark
12-12-2021, 10:12 PM
Best Hallmark Christmas movie ever ��

Mal Paso
12-12-2021, 10:30 PM
According to the movie web site IMDb Die Hard is the number 2 Christmas Movie, second only to It's A Wonderful Life.

todd9.3x57
12-12-2021, 10:36 PM
yes, next question?

BamaNapper
12-13-2021, 09:29 AM
The fact that this question comes up every year, on every forum and discussion group that is guy-oriented, shows just how important the topic is. And of course I have to read every comment in the threads every year. I hope there is never a clear resolution as the question itself provides as much entertainment as the movie.

I come down on the side that DH is a Christmas movie. To those who say it's just a movie set at Christmas time, I'd have to point out that's the case with every Christmas movie. :p

MUSTANG
12-13-2021, 11:11 AM
The fact that this question comes up every year, on every forum and discussion group that is guy-oriented, shows just how important the topic is. And of course I have to read every comment in the threads every year. I hope there is never a clear resolution as the question itself provides as much entertainment as the movie.

I come down on the side that DH is a Christmas movie. To those who say it's just a movie set at Christmas time, I'd have to point out that's the case with every Christmas movie. :p

Ohhhh Say it aint Soooooo. All the movies focused on Santa are christmas movies. All the movies focused on Rudolph are Christmas movies. And "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out" is most definitely a Christmas Movie.

Rapier
12-13-2021, 11:28 AM
It depends on your orientation, mine, as an old demolition man, is sort of eschewed toward, the office chair down the elevator shaft, with plastic, very nice Christmas present. Created a whole new need for screen doors…[smilie=p:

Idaho45guy
12-13-2021, 03:58 PM
Ohhhh Say it aint Soooooo. All the movies focused on Santa are christmas movies. All the movies focused on Rudolph are Christmas movies. And "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out" is most definitely a Christmas Movie.

Exactly! A movie focused on Santa, elves, reindeer, or Christmas itself is a Christmas movie. A movie that is set around Christmas time is NOT a Christmas movie.

Could Die Hard have been written so that he was attending a Halloween party, or some other random office party, when terrorists attack and the movie still be as good and have the same flavor? Absolutely.

One of my favorite movies is Just Friends in which the main character spends Christmas back in his hometown and is reunited with his high school sweetheart. I don't consider it a Christmas movie. Nor do I consider The Shining a Christmas movie.

fatnhappy
12-13-2021, 04:17 PM
Die Hard is THEE Christmas movie.

What other movie features a ballet dancer, more accustomed to the nutcracker, as a psycho killer terrorist? That's acting

Idaho45guy
12-13-2021, 05:12 PM
Going off of the standard set by those who swear Die Hard is a Christmas movie because it happens to take place around Christmas time, I offer the following list of my favorite top ten Christmas movies...

1. Trading Places

2. Better Off Dead

3. The Godfather

4. LA Confidential

5. Ironman 3

6. Ghostbusters

7. Rocky

8. The Philadelphia Experiment

9. Cast Away

10. Batman Returns

1Hawkeye
12-13-2021, 09:33 PM
I never thought of Better off dead as a christmas movie but it was funny that the mom gave everyone tv dinners for christmas gifts cause she was such a rotten cook.

12-13-2021, 10:11 PM
Yippie-Ki-Yay, XxxxxxXxxxxx it is!

Cast_outlaw
12-13-2021, 10:12 PM
The answer is simple
There two kind of people in this world
Those who think diehard is a Christmas movie
And those who are wrong

jorg0370
12-13-2021, 11:43 PM
Die Hard was released on July 15, 1988. Christmas movies need to be released after Halloween, at a minimum, to be considered as a Christmas movie.

Stephen Cohen
12-14-2021, 01:00 AM

WHAT! You mean it isn't, I am shattered. regards Stephen

BunkTheory
12-14-2021, 01:42 AM
Exactly! A movie focused on Santa, elves, reindeer, or Christmas itself is a Christmas movie. A movie that is set around Christmas time is NOT a Christmas movie.

Could Die Hard have been written so that he was attending a Halloween party, or some other random office party, when terrorists attack and the movie still be as good and have the same flavor? Absolutely.

One of my favorite movies is Just Friends in which the main character spends Christmas back in his hometown and is reunited with his high school sweetheart. I don't consider it a Christmas movie. Nor do I consider The Shining a Christmas movie.

Gunning people down while dressed as some crappy movie monster wouldnt work at all... wouldnt work wth the plot synopsis of the film either.

And when your stuck in a big building of idiots with that rappy "christmas music" over head, who DOESNT wanna play die hard.

Wag
12-14-2021, 09:54 AM
Going off of the standard set by those who swear Die Hard is a Christmas movie because it happens to take place around Christmas time, I offer the following list of my favorite top ten Christmas movies...

1. Trading Places

2. Better Off Dead

3. The Godfather

4. LA Confidential

5. Ironman 3

6. Ghostbusters

7. Rocky

8. The Philadelphia Experiment

9. Cast Away

10. Batman Returns

11. Lethal Weapon. :D

--Wag--

blackthorn
12-14-2021, 02:20 PM
Favorite Christmas movie:---Ernest does Christmas.

Favorite Christmas song:---Grandma got run over by a reindeer.

anothernewb
12-14-2021, 04:41 PM
Bruce willis running around a tower trying to avoid Alan Rickman. Die hard is a harry potter movie!

1Hawkeye
12-14-2021, 06:48 PM
Bruce willis running around a tower trying to avoid Alan Rickman. Die hard is a harry potter movie!

That explains the magic chant of yippy ki a ___ ____ now dosen't it.

scattershot
12-14-2021, 07:09 PM
Actually, it predates movies.

GregLaROCHE
12-15-2021, 01:31 PM
If we are talking about Mel Gibson, we need to mention Fat Man. Is that a Christmas movie?