PDA

View Full Version : Wish List for Hornady

jim4065
01-15-2009, 01:34 PM
1. A 32 caliber PTX. They have one for the 475 but say they don't think there's a market for 32's. Surely more 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Mag, and 32 ACP's are reloaded than the combined 480 Rugers and 475 Linebaugh's.

2. A shim kit (or add-on) for the LnL Conversion kit to let you change over dies from LnL AP to the single stage without re-setting all the dies. :groner: The time-saving in load development would be tremendous. As it stands, you can't even swap back and forth between the Hornady LnL single stage and the LnL AP. [smilie=b:

3. Sufficient LnL bushings to go around. They've been back-ordered a mighty long time, and the AP ain't worth much without bushings. I've reloaded 1300 38 Specials and 900 380 ACP's, but everything's at a screeching halt 'till I get more bushings.

cheese1566
01-15-2009, 10:12 PM
I have an aged but very well maintained Pro-7 progressive that recieved the update to a Projector with the 7/8" threads.

I cannot understand why on earth they went to the LNL system!!??

I really never thought it took very long to do a die change over, even on the 5 station press...

Heavy lead
01-15-2009, 10:15 PM
I have an aged but very well maintained Pro-7 progressive that recieved the update to a Projector with the 7/8" threads.

I cannot understand why on earth they went to the LNL system!!??

I really never thought it took very long to do a die change over, even on the 5 station press...

Agree 100 percent, and I have a LNL, only beef with it is the LNL system, it's only there as a gimick. I can unscrew dies just fine and on my own too, and they don't loosen up like the LNL bushings do. But then they couldn't sell the LNL bushings with the die sets now could they?

August
01-15-2009, 10:40 PM
4. Broader selection of powder through expanders. Available ones are too small for cast bullets and require a station be used for separate expander.

5. A way of securing shell plate to spindle that doesn't loosen up and cause primer depth problems.

1hole
01-16-2009, 11:03 AM
No "quick change" die holders for me. For the life of me, I can't understand how simply screwing a die in or out is supposed to be either difficult or significatly more time consuming!

Hardcast416taylor
01-16-2009, 12:24 PM
I got my Pro-7/Projector back when they first introduced it. I had it upgraded to Projector model. I like the press but have removed the auto priming station, I trust my actions better. The case kicker was a problem from the onset. Hornady didn`t agree with me on the remedies that would make it work better that I suggested. I find no handicap in screwing in or out dies. A good guess on actual load cycles, about 65 to 75,000 rounds loaded.:castmine: Robert

500bfrman
01-16-2009, 12:44 PM
But then they couldn't sell the LNL bushings with the die sets now could they?

But you don't like them anyway. Right? I have never had a problem with them loosening up.

Heavy lead
01-16-2009, 12:55 PM
But you don't like them anyway. Right? I have never had a problem with them loosening up.

I really don't see the need for them, I have one that is a chronic problem, not enough for me to not like the press mind you, I do like it and understand all machinery is flawed at least somewhat. To me though it fixes a problem that doesn't exist. I can sure push a lot of 45acp out on it and of good quality too. To me the quanity only counts it there is quality with it. All in all I think it is a great value and I got 1000 free 230 xtp's to boot, which are not cheap, I bought this 1 and a half years ago when they initially ran the free bullet program.

jim4065
01-16-2009, 05:07 PM
I've got another question for you LnL AP guys. What makes the PTX go into the case and expand it? Is it just gravity acting on the LnL powder thrower? My .355 PTX doesn't want to enter the re-sized 380 cases. The powder dispenser just lifts up to the top of the press stroke. It looks like there ought to be an additional spring to try to force the PTX into the case to actually expand the brass. If I don't run the brass through the sizing die I can push down on the top of the powder thrower casting and force the PTX into the case - otherwise it won't enter. I'm not even sure that another spring would offer enough resistance - gotta be doing something wrong....................

Never mind - it is expanding - just not enough to matter (or to set the bullet into the top of the case). Seems like there ought to be a ledge to roll open the top - just a tad. I am not gonna chamfer the case mouths.

I just now read the little instruction sheet with the PTX (if all else fails). It says that you can't make it bell. That's so you won't have any problems pushing the case into the seating die. I didn't realize they were doing me a favor - all those mean 'ol other companies make me adjust the die for the perfect amount of belling. Gosh - Thanks, Hornady!

jeff423
01-21-2009, 07:31 AM
[QUOTE=jim4065;469469]1. A 32 caliber PTX. They have one for the 475 but say they don't think there's a market for 32's. Surely more 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Mag, and 32 ACP's are reloaded than the combined 480 Rugers and 475 Linebaugh's.

I called Hornady about this issue and they offered to make me one for about $55.00

Jeff

jim4065
01-21-2009, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=jim4065;469469]1. A 32 caliber PTX. They have one for the 475 but say they don't think there's a market for 32's. Surely more 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Mag, and 32 ACP's are reloaded than the combined 480 Rugers and 475 Linebaugh's.

I called Hornady about this issue and they offered to make me one for about $55.00

Jeff

Do I smell a potential Group Buy here? :mrgreen:

You guys who don't like the LnL bushings must not be using the Lee "lock" rings. Hitting the exact same adjustment twice is problematic. I could buy replacement lock rings from other makers, but we're talking a bunch of money that could be better spent on components, beer, wurst, etc. :roll:

wildwilly501
01-25-2009, 03:25 PM
I'd buy a .32 and a .41