PDA

View Full Version : Losing things...

Idaho45guy
12-04-2021, 11:22 PM
Starting to misplace things, and as I am single and live alone, I have no one to blame.

But, unlike my dad, who when he misplaces something accuses me of stealing it, I am accepting that my brain simply malfunctioned.

Frustrating and getting expensive. I shot 100 rounds of 10 mm the other day and painstakingly picked up every single piece at the range since it was all virgin brass. I can't find it. I know I put it in a container in my reloading room, but it is gone.

Then, I tried to find a brand new Glock OEM barrel that is extended and threaded for my G23. $160. Used it a couple of times and took it out. Now I can't find it. Even tried organizing and cleaning my gun room so I don't lose stuff and it didn't help.

Anyone else getting frustrated by losing stuff?

obssd1958
12-04-2021, 11:31 PM
Story of my life these days...

Moleman-
12-04-2021, 11:34 PM
I blame the shop yetis. Stinking jerks are always hiding stuff on me.

Scrounge
12-04-2021, 11:43 PM
I believe we're shuffling sidewise into other universes, very similar to ours, but not exactly the same. It's particularly bad when my wife and I are comparing things that have happened, both recently and in the distant past. Not that my faulting memory is of any help there.

Bill

Idaho45guy
12-05-2021, 12:15 AM
Found the items after another hour of searching. Barrel was stashed in a plastic baggie with a bunch of other Glock parts and shoved in the bottom of a shooting box.

10mm cases were right in front of me in the red Caseguard 50-round boxes. I swore I had put them in a red 100-round box and then emptied it into a red plastic Folger's coffee can. Nope.

Mytmousemalibu
12-05-2021, 12:57 AM
I feel your pain! Single guy too and i have a lot of stuff. Having moved in 2016, lot of stuff went in totes * boxes and much of that I kept stored because it didn't get used. It's the pits try to find this stuff sometimes when I know for a fact I have it somewhere. I have a good quality label maker that I really like. Thats been the most helpful thing for my memory.

Oyeboten
12-05-2021, 01:16 AM
The secret for finding such 'lost / misplaced' items, is to look for something else, or, buy another one, then, either way, it turns up!

Idaho45guy
12-05-2021, 01:22 AM
The secret for finding such 'lost / misplaced' items, is to look for something else, or, buy another one, then, either way, it turns up!

So true! Bought a Lee Ramline priming tool and then found the one I couldn't find.

Sasquatch-1
12-05-2021, 08:06 AM
I was looking for the keys to my truck one day. I was starting to go ballistic thinking I had lost them. I looked for about five minutes and then I realized they were dangling from my mouth. I had put them there while I opened the door.

ripshod
12-05-2021, 08:10 AM
It only gets worse.

GregLaROCHE
12-05-2021, 08:55 AM
Thé worst is when you can’t find something you had in your hand three minutes before and haven’t moved five feet.

Finster101
12-05-2021, 09:00 AM
Thé worst is when you can’t find something you had in your hand three minutes before and haven’t moved five feet.

Been there. Done that!

AlHunt
12-05-2021, 09:14 AM

I've been doing that since I was a teenager. JUST used that screwdriver, my feet haven't moved ... where could it possibly have gone ?!?!?!

RKJ
12-05-2021, 09:17 AM
It happens to me all the time. I've done similar with the keys, had them in my hand more than once. That saying: "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" rings true anymore.

Isaac
12-05-2021, 09:31 AM
Same here! I'm in my early 60's. Its been getting worse over the past year or two. Not only misplacing items but forgetting stuff. I mean, in 30 seconds I'll completely forget what I was thinking or going to do. I have to stand there for a moment and try to remember or retrace my steps. Forgetting something from one room to another is the worse!

Isaac

MrWolf
12-05-2021, 09:32 AM
Know how many duplicate and triplicate tools and such I have because I couldn't remember where I put em? I am finally getting organized. Figure by the time I am done, my funeral will probably be the week after:veryconfu

ascast
12-05-2021, 09:36 AM
yes it is very maddening - I wind up buying stuff twice over, cant find documents I must have, then I need a sandwich and glass of milk, then I .. wait, what are we talking about?

William Yanda
12-05-2021, 09:40 AM
Last month I lost my wedding ring after 47 years. To the best of my recollection it must have happened while I was splitting wood for my daughter and her husband. A metal detector was used to search, the wood pile has been marked to distinguish the area where I was working and I will look again. In the meantime, I ordered a very simple, inexpensive replacement. Unfortunately, that did not assist in locating the original.

Gator 45/70
12-05-2021, 09:41 AM
Get used to misplacing items, That nasty habit will not improve itself down the road.

country gent
12-05-2021, 10:05 AM
My big one is 6" metal scales I can set one down and its gone for days if I dont put it right back in the apron pocket.

Thumbcocker
12-05-2021, 10:06 AM
I blame the shop yetis. Stinking jerks are always hiding stuff on me.

They are close relatives of arrow gnomes. Arrow gnomes have existed for thousands of years and are greedy covetous little suckers. They stash their hoard underground. Occasionally a stone point will be found where they swiped arrows from the Indians.

Research is ongoing to determine if they have branched out into socks and brass or if new species have evolved.

Nazgul
12-05-2021, 10:11 AM
Know what you mean. Locked the bedside gunsafe with my favorite 1911 in it while we were on vacation. Granddaughter stayed here while we were gone. Took 3 weeks to find the key after we got home.

Several years ago I bought 1500 147 gr FMJ 308 bullets on sale. Went to put them under the bench and they wouldn't slide in. Looked and there was already an unopened box of 1500 there!!

Don

AnthonyB
12-05-2021, 10:16 AM
If anyone comes across a Glock 19 Gen 4 with night sights hiding somewhere, I have a Crossbreed holster and ten-plus magazines waiting to be reunited with it….
Tony

Alstep
12-05-2021, 10:20 AM
I can relate to all your stories. Been there, done that. Frustrating!

Pine Baron
12-05-2021, 10:25 AM
Never, NEVER reorganize your gun room. Everything will be lost from that point on...ask me how I know.

DocSavage
12-05-2021, 10:48 AM
A few weeks ago I lost a hat that I just bought tore the house apart looking for it no luck,off to the store to replace it.
1 week later found the hat in a bag with some sweat pants I bought at the end of Sept. My problem is trying to do to many things at once. MaybevI should take pictures of things I lay down with my cell phone.

Ithaca Gunner
12-05-2021, 10:52 AM
In a phone conversation with my brother, he mentioned 1,000 rounds of 55gr. 5.56 NATO ammunition he had picked up for me at some point and I paid him for them...Huh? He described the box and insisted I both paid him and got the ammo. I don't remember the transaction nor ever having the ammo. I searched for days, a case of 1,000rds. of ammo should be an easy thing to find! Nope, to this day I don't remember ever buying it, having it, or seeing it, but in late summer I was moving some things around in the shop and came across a medium storage tub filled with 5.56 NATO ammo I didn't realize I had. Okay, the story must be true...I still have no recollection of any of it! (I'm happy to have it though!)

Several years ago my brother called, obviously upset asking me what he did with his .45 Winchester Magnum Wildey pistol. ''How should I know?'' He ask if I had it. I told him I did not, but I did remember him shooting it on our last range outing and that he had it in it's wooden box and cardboard sleeve and that I didn't even touch it. ''I can't find it!'' he said and wondered how to report a missing firearm. Two weeks go by and seems he found it, carefully packed away in it's double box wrapped in a paper grocery bag in his closet. He's always very particular, (to the point of peculiar) on putting his guns away, locked in a safe. How and why the Wildey ended up in his closet in a paper bag is still something he wonders about.

I identify with, ''I haven't moved, I just set it down...NOW WHERE IS IT?'' almost daily.

ShooterAZ
12-05-2021, 10:58 AM
I completely "re-organized" my reloading gear early last year, it had gotten pretty cluttered. I should have just left it alone, because now I have to make a bunch more clutter just to find anything I need. I can't seem to remember where I put my stuff, even though I've marked most of the boxes.

JoeJames
12-05-2021, 11:02 AM

Man! you nailed it! Almost sounds like you were watching me on a project yesterday. My cousin calls it the C.F.S. syndrome... Cain't find S.

salpal48
12-05-2021, 11:04 AM
as I get Older , I get Forgetful. when I can't remember where it is . I just say to myself " It just where you left It"

BigAlofPa.
12-05-2021, 11:06 AM
I loose things all the time too. The worst one. I lost my keys to my gun cabinets. I drilled out the locks and put new locks in. After i did all that. A few weeks later. My wife finds them behind my archery target.

salpal48
12-05-2021, 11:26 AM
See it was right where you left It. Sooner or later you would have found them

salpal48
12-05-2021, 11:29 AM
Spring Is coming , Now I'm starting to forget where the Mower is.

Bmi48219
12-05-2021, 11:52 AM
I have a good quality label maker that I really like.

I have one too, if I could only locate it!
This thread is proof someone or something has been bombarding us with gamma radiation. If I could only find my tin-foil hat.

OS OK
12-05-2021, 11:53 AM
One of the things that is getting me lately is 'looking right at something I'm looking for' and not even seeing it. "How does that happen?"

Something that got me every time was putting something in a 'safe place', I had to order another one before I found the one that was lost!

blackthorn
12-05-2021, 01:02 PM
Last month I lost my wedding ring after 47 years. To the best of my recollection it must have happened while I was splitting wood for my daughter and her husband. A metal detector was used to search, the wood pile has been marked to distinguish the area where I was working and I will look again. In the meantime, I ordered a very simple, inexpensive replacement. Unfortunately, that did not assist in locating the original.

Just a thought---if you were wearing gloves, did you check in the fingers? Along the same line, if you had gloves, check where you took them off. Worked for me years ago. Good luck in finding your ring.

Scrounge
12-05-2021, 01:07 PM
One of the things that is getting me lately is 'looking right at something I'm looking for' and not even seeing it. "How does that happen?"

Something that got me every time was putting something in a 'safe place', I had to order another one before I found the one that was lost!

SWMBO laughs at me, but I have a box in the shop marked "Someplace Safe." So far, everything I've put in there has stayed there. Anything that I put in any other "someplace safe" the stuff is not seen again for decades, if ever.

Bill

OS OK
12-05-2021, 01:14 PM
SWMBO laughs at me, but I have a box in the shop marked "Someplace Safe." So far, everything I've put in there has stayed there. Anything that I put in any other "someplace safe" the stuff is not seen again for decades, if ever.

Bill

PURE GENIUS! Don't know why I never thought of this? Consider your method...COPIED!

thanks...charlie

Scrounge
12-05-2021, 01:18 PM
PURE GENIUS! Don't know why I never thought of this? Consider your method...COPIED!

thanks...charlie

Not possible. I stole it from a gentleman on the old Yahoo Metalworking groups. Something like a decade ago! :) I know a good idea when I steal one!

Bill

GL49
12-05-2021, 02:23 PM
1) My wife is much better organized than I am.
2) She uses a notebook to write down appointments, dates, etc.
3) She also makes sure everything has it's place, and it is in it's place.
4) She puts labels on boxes stating their contents.
5) She has a keen eye, she notices things that aren't "in their place".
6) She never just sets something aside thinking, "I'm in a hurry, I'll put it where it belongs later"
7) Drives. me. nuts.
8) Me? I like to think I never forget things and never lose things, I remember where I put things.
9) But, if I can't find something I usually just ask her.
Go back to the first sentence and start over, paying special attention to sentence six.

PS: Trying to be more like her, I just inventoried all my boolit moulds. I wonder if my methods are the reason I've got duplicates of three different moulds, one of each still unopened in the box. Good thing I took this inventory, I was going to order a mould for my 45 colt rifle....I already have the one I was going to order, new in the box. I have no idea when or why I ordered it.

bayjoe
12-05-2021, 02:31 PM
I'm a member of the lost club too.

rcslotcar
12-05-2021, 02:35 PM
Right now I'm searching every where for all the parts for my RCBS case trimmer, I feel the pain.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-05-2021, 02:53 PM
Last Spring, I finally got around to cleaning/decluttering my garage and put up a bunch more shelving. My garage was a "catch all" for stuff for over 20 years. I could never find anything in that mess and of course if I was working on a project, I was always moving junk out of the way, that move it back again, what a headache.

During the decluttering, I recycled countless boxes of steel (screws/brackets/parts and such from former projects or jobsite leftovers). I also got rid of a bunch of saved lumber scraps (some wasn't too scrappy either), with the inflated price of new lumber this summer, it was easy to find people that'd haul it away for free. I sorted through all the good tools and stuff, kept a little and then had a large yard sale and attempted to sell it cheapy. Everything that didn't sell was donated to Goodwill or other places...or thrown away. Everything I kept got put in well marked boxes on a shelf, so finding stuff is now easy...if I didn't dispose of it...AND THERE IN LAYS THE RUB.

Now that I have room to work on things again, when I need this or that, some part I knew I had collected 15 years ago, just is gone, must have sold it, or given it away...So at least I don't spend hours looking for something, I just go buy a new part. Time is worth more than $5 worth of bolts these days.

BTW, the cleaning/decluttering/garagesale, all in all, took more than a month...But back to the whole point of this rambling post, It sure was easy losing stuff in a cluttered garage, but now I never lose anything in the cleaned up garage.

country gent
12-05-2021, 02:56 PM
Was arguing with the boss and swept my hand out wedding band went flying made 2 tinks and couldnt be found.3-4 month later the shop helper came up it was found when he was cleaning the coolant tank on the surface grinder. 30 foot 2 bank shot there.

Biggin
12-05-2021, 03:07 PM
Man! you nailed it! Almost sounds like you were watching me on a project yesterday. My cousin calls it the C.F.S. syndrome... Cain't find S.
Goes with C.R.S Can't remember S .

Biggin
12-05-2021, 03:12 PM
Right before the plandemic I bought bought breakers outside outlet boxes and outlets and all the necessary fittings to 2 complete mtr loop projects I was working on. It almost filled up a 5gallon bucket. 2 years later and I still can't find it!!!

Baltimoreed
12-05-2021, 03:41 PM
Mislaid both 5/16 in allen wrenches Friday. Have 2, one for the mini mill, the size of my cap screws that I use on T clamps and another in the reloading room that my presses are bolted down with. Needed one to set up my mill, walked back and forth several times between the house and barn. Then they both appeared on the mill bench. Something I’ve done is to change the angle of the way you’re looking for something, bend down, look longways the bench. Getting old ain’t for wussies. My rt hip gave me a fit last week with sciatica, calming down now.

GregLaROCHE
12-05-2021, 04:30 PM
That’s why I now lock most of my stuff up. If it wasn’t, I’d swear someone had stolen stuff I can’t find. This way it could only have been me responsible.

alfadan
12-05-2021, 05:33 PM
If I set something down because "I'll get to it in a little bit" I physically point at it and say out loud "Your wrench is on the reloading bench, moron" it seems to help.

Bmi48219
12-05-2021, 06:54 PM
To add to the problem my wife rearranges the kitchen cabinets and drawers every other week. I cook a lot so I’m constantly looking for a pot, pan, lid or utensil where it was last time. When unloading the dishwasher I have to search for the “new” storage spots.
Way I figure it sooner or later the place I put something will wind up being right.

Iowa Fox
12-05-2021, 10:14 PM

My brother in law lost his wedding ring and wasn't sure where it happened except that he was in the cattle lot. About 5-10 years after he lost it he was rotary hoeing in the field and found the ring on one of the spikes of the hoe after he was cleaning it up to put away for the season. He was pretty sure he lost it working on cattle. Must have gotten hauled out with the manure spread on the field and then he picked it up with the hoe.

Gator 45/70
12-05-2021, 11:27 PM
Ha, I know I bought a new pair of tennis walking shoes 2 weeks ago, I've yet to see them at the house?

DDriller
12-06-2021, 02:02 AM
Which one of you all stole my 30-06 dies? My dies are all on one shelf, everything but the '06. Been looking for it for over a year. Glad
I loaded all my empties the last time I used it.

Sasquatch-1
12-06-2021, 09:46 AM
thé worst is when you can’t find something you had in your hand three minutes before and haven’t moved five feet.

gremlins

bedbugbilly
12-06-2021, 10:48 AM
Can't imagine anything like that happening . . . . I have a really neat poem that someone sent me about problems like this . . . . . I'd post it but I seemed to have misplaced it somewhere? :-)

mozeppa
12-06-2021, 10:53 AM
Starting to misplace things, and as I am single and live alone, I have no one to blame.

But, unlike my dad, who when he misplaces something accuses me of stealing it, I am accepting that my brain simply malfunctioned.

Frustrating and getting expensive. I shot 100 rounds of 10 mm the other day and painstakingly picked up every single piece at the range since it was all virgin brass. I can't find it. I know I put it in a container in my reloading room, but it is gone.

Then, I tried to find a brand new Glock OEM barrel that is extended and threaded for my G23. $160. Used it a couple of times and took it out. Now I can't find it. Even tried organizing and cleaning my gun room so I don't lose stuff and it didn't help.

Anyone else getting frustrated by losing stuff?

yer dad stole it!:kidding:

Hickok
12-06-2021, 12:15 PM

SteveM54
12-06-2021, 12:27 PM
"Starting to misplace things, and as I am single and live alone, I have no one to blame"

Yeah, I'm 68, just retired & have the same problem.
Been single divorced 20+ years & trying to meet someone to spend time with ????? Good luck finding her !!!!!!
Just hang in buddy, we both have friends that didn't make it to our age

Edward
12-06-2021, 12:29 PM
Thats just average ,I hold the record ! 3 /24 inch levels (one of 3 that I lost) and found 5 yrs later ,being an excavator I use one for pipe levels doing curtain drains . Did one at the neighbors house and 5 yrs later had to dig it up to move for an addition ,guess what I found (dirty) but back in use /Ed

salpal48
12-06-2021, 12:38 PM
I find If you put some tools in the refrigerator , you will always find them

rbuck351
12-06-2021, 12:45 PM
I was working at a motorcycle shop as a mechanic adjusting a carb with a special screwdriver. I blip the throttle a couple of times and go to tweak the idle air screw a bit and can't find my screwdriver. I search the bench the bike is on and then my toolbox but it's gone.I search the bike to see if I had laid it somewhere on the bike but no luck. Next I go to the sales counter to see if someone had borrowed it while I wasn't looking. I asked if anyone had seen my screwdriver and the secretary asked if it was the one in my hand. Sure enough I had been searching for about ten minutes for what I had been holding in my left hand. I would like to say it was from old age but I was about 20 at the time. Now if I don't put tools back where they belong, they are lost until I stumble on them.

wv109323
12-06-2021, 12:47 PM
It seems that I can remember where I originally put something but if I use it and move it then it is much harder to remember where I moved it.
I also am losing the ability to remember how to reassemble something I just took apart.
It is one thing to forget to take something out of the microwave and another to remember what the microwave is used for.

Sasquatch-1
12-06-2021, 01:03 PM
I would like to say it was from old age but I was about 20 at the time. Now if I don't put tools back where they belong, they are lost until I stumble on them.

Was this back in the 60's? :kidding::2 drunk buddies:

LenH
12-06-2021, 02:55 PM
Have you ever lost your cell phone while talking on it? Ask me how I know that feeling.

I seem to hide more stuff from myself than is humanly possible.

Petander
12-06-2021, 03:23 PM
10mm cases were right in front of me in the red Caseguard 50-round boxes. I swore I had put them in a red 100-round box and then emptied it into a red plastic Folger's coffee can. Nope.

This is me.

It's obvious that our eyes are ignoring things that don't look right. I "lost" some brass that was right there in front of me for days, in a black box. My eyes/brain were looking for a green box.

rbuck351
12-06-2021, 11:57 PM
Yeah, it was in the 60s, but I was never into the hippie stuff. Motorcycle racing, sky diving and reloading/shooting were my interests and mind bending stuff didn't mix well with any of those.

lightman
12-09-2021, 11:00 AM
I guess we all misplace things occasionally. I have tried to form better habits, or establish a routine to help with this problem. I empty my pockets at the same place everytime to keep from loosing my keys. I put my hand tools that I use in the loading room in the same place overtime. Ect, ect!!! It helps.

David2011
12-10-2021, 02:53 PM
For me it’s not a memory problem, it’s not paying attention to what I do with things. I first noticed this at 18 when I started working on a street rod. Almost 50 years later it’s neither worse nor better but I have learned to PAY ATTENTION to where I set things down if not in their “home” place.

Mal Paso
12-10-2021, 08:25 PM
I don't recall ever having memory problems.

Sasquatch-1
12-11-2021, 09:40 AM
I don't recall ever having memory problems.

Should this be in purple?

Mal Paso
12-11-2021, 09:51 AM
Should this be in purple?

Not if you are saying it with a straight face.

salpal48
12-11-2021, 09:54 AM
I was doing some work @ the house recently and Misplaced my Hammer. By the time i found the Hammer I lost , I found 5 others I misplaces a while ago.

David2011
12-14-2021, 09:10 PM
Just found my favorite safety glasses. They were at the bottom of the pile of tools I had been using to hang Christmas lights over the weekend.

Rich/WIS
12-15-2021, 09:30 AM
If anyone should find my mind please PM me.

Ithaca Gunner
12-15-2021, 09:44 AM
I thought buying multiples of things would help, nope. Somewhere I have about half a dozen of those telescoping rods with a magnet on the end. I dropped a socket down in the engine compartment of the truck yesterday, saw where it was and needed one of those magnets to retrieve it, I know there's at least 3 of them in the shop...somewhere. Tried the one that normally is stuck to the gun safe, not there either! Go to the tool cart, nope! Finally the wife produced one with a broken shaft just long enough to get the socket. I don't lay these things down somewhere, they're always stuck to something metal where they're obvious. I guess I'll have to tie bright orange ribbons to them!

salpal48
12-15-2021, 12:42 PM
I try To Wear everything I think I.m going to Misplace .

Ithaca Gunner
12-15-2021, 01:30 PM
I've learned that buying multiples of things doesn't mean you'll find one when you need it.

dale2242
12-16-2021, 06:37 AM
I personally do not lose things.
I am sure that it is either gremlins or the neighbor kids.

.429&H110
12-16-2021, 09:41 AM
Years ago I was changed to online time sheets, really bad software, so the boss hired a student worker to follow me around and keep the little boxes all filled in. In exchange I taught my millenial how to walk twenty miles of stairs (tracked by their iphones) every day. These kids are out of shape.

Cosmic_Charlie
12-19-2021, 08:00 AM
Faulty memory leads to losing things. I took a skinner peep off a rifle and could swear I put it in a ziplock bag in the rifle box. Nope, not there. That leaves me to search through a huge amount of stuff that is poorly organized. I may accidentally find it one day but for now it may as well be on the moon.