PDA

View Full Version : 450 sizer/luber

big uns
01-09-2006, 02:59 AM
I have a Lyman 450 sizer/luber and was wondering how most of you gentleman clean your sizers when you change over to a different lube? I have thought about taking it apart,removing as much lube as possible and just putting the body of the sizer in boiling water to remove all of the previous hard lube. Will this work? I usually just remove most of the lube and fill with the new brand but was wanting to clean all the old lube out to "start anew " for once! ;-)

omgb
01-09-2006, 04:15 AM
If you set your ovenat 200 and put the sizer in there (sans any rubber parts) it will come clean in less than an hour.

9.3X62AL
01-09-2006, 05:14 AM
Oh, I can just see Marie conducting an insurrection if I tried that in HER oven. It would be easier to get the money from her for a new sizer/luber.

omgb
01-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Hmm, I see your point. I do it infrequently and usually only when Celeste is not home. OK, how about this: Take a hand held hair dryer, invert the machine and apply hot air. It's slower, but it works. What we're trying to do here is stay away from using water. Not that anything bad will happen it's just that the H2O method is so messy.

RJTalley

45 2.1
01-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Take out your sizing die and the compreesion disc in the lube body, put a tin can thats large enough under it to catch the melted lube and put a heat lamp shineing on the body of the luber. It will get quite HOT and all the lube will melt out. Takes a max of 30 minutes.

big uns
01-09-2006, 02:23 PM
I have a heat lamp so I think I will try that first! Thanks for the info. Denny

crazy mark
01-09-2006, 04:59 PM
I have a small bottle of mineral spirits I put mine in for about 1 hour. Remove and wipe off. All is clean. Then I throw away the paper towels or rag. Mark

kodiak1
01-09-2006, 08:27 PM
big uns I have a big pot I fill it full of water and boil the stuff out at the same time cleaning up any dies that have the same lube in them. Takes a few minutes once it is boiling. Dump out the water and wipe pot clean with rag while still hot and you are done.
Thanks Ken

yammerschooner
01-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Oh, I can just see Marie conducting an insurrection if I tried that in HER oven. It would be easier to get the money from her for a new sizer/luber.

Wow, that is a good idea. I don't suppose any of you are local Iowa and could lend me an old one to threaten my wife with?

It probably wouldn't work anyway. I already broke her in with cat litter (aka silica dessicant around here) in the oven.