PDA

View Full Version : Browning Mountain Rifle manual, anyone? [and load data or other insights]

jmstr
12-03-2021, 01:11 AM
Hello,

As you can see from my profile, I am relatively new to this forum.

I can create a really wandering post about my firearms and how fun they are, but the reason for my post is to see if anyone has access to a clean copy of the manual for a JMB Mountain Rifle?

My only ML rifle is a 50cal JMB Mountain Rifle, and I don't have a manual. I've had it for about 5 years, but have only fired it about 3 times- and have been very happy with how it works when I have had it out.

Anyone have any leads?

Also, any pet loads would be appreciated, and any other insights- so that I can create a word doc and save all of it for future reference.

Thank you!

sharps4590
12-03-2021, 07:48 AM
50 cal. in general, under a patched round ball; 70-90 grs. for hunting, 40-50 grs. for plinking and targets. If you don't find a sweet spot in there, it isn't the rifle.

ogre
12-05-2021, 05:14 PM
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?257330-Jonathan-Browning-Mountain-rifle

oldracer
12-05-2021, 10:06 PM
If you enjoy the rifle you have.....you will eventually will get more. That happened to me so I took the advice of my mentor: I.E. Make them all the same caliber, use the same powder, caps, etc. All mt round ball guns are 50 caliber, shoot the same load and so on.
John

LAGS
12-05-2021, 10:43 PM
Where was your mentor when I started doing muzzleloaders.
I have 6 different calibers of rifles.
But I at least have Two Rifles of each caliber , and 5 in .50 and only two are faster twist.

jmstr
12-06-2021, 01:06 AM
Hello All,

Thanks for the links and advice.

I completely understand about the comments regarding how I will eventually get more. I resemble that!

I really tend to shoot handguns more than anything else- be it black powder or standard guns.

As a result, I have 2 Ruger Old Army handguns and have a Walker on backorder. I have a Pietta 1858 New Army, but that is going to my daughter soon. I have a Patriot muzzleloader handgun as well. Vs the JMB Mountain Rifle and a muzzleloading percussion 12g SxS shotgun.

I do see a TC Renegade at my local gun shop that has caught my eye. However, I really can't get any more long guns until I sell something. It is a space issue.

Maybe I shouldn't have 5 Winchester Model 12 shotguns. hmmmm. [and, we are back to the 'if you like them, you will get more' concept.:bigsmyl2:]

megasupermagnum
12-08-2021, 01:07 AM
It sounds like you need another safe to me. I'm in the same boat, the only problem, nobody makes one tall enough for the longrifles. I can just barely squeeze my 30" barrel pump action in. My Ithaca mag 10, I have to take the barrel off. My 44" barrel muzzleloader, I have no choice but to not put it in the safe.

To answer your question, I do not have a manual, but there's not a lot of need for one. I don't remember if I had the browning mountain rifle, or CVA mountain rifle. Either way, it was a 50 caliber mountain rifle, USA made Douglas barrel. Shot lights out with 70gr FFg Goex, pillow ticking patch, and a .490" ball. I was probably using Crisco for lube at the time.

FLINTNFIRE
12-08-2021, 02:05 AM
Long rifles go on the wall where I live , other firearms are in safe , my safe will hold the 1884 trapdoor , but those 36 and 42 inch do not fit and I like to see them hanging above door and around room .

Start at 50 grains and work your way up , I have used 2f and 3f in my 50 calibers .

megasupermagnum
12-09-2021, 04:21 AM
Long rifles go on the wall where I live , other firearms are in safe , my safe will hold the 1884 trapdoor , but those 36 and 42 inch do not fit and I like to see them hanging above door and around room .

Start at 50 grains and work your way up , I have used 2f and 3f in my 50 calibers .

While they do look nice on the wall, it seems goofy for me to have my safe loaded with $200 H&R's, and $300 pump shotguns, but the custom muzzleloader that people often ask $1500-$2000 to leave that sitting out.

Then again, unless you have a serious safe, it doesn't take a couple guys long to rip a safe out, and haul the whole thing away either. At least it keeps kids out.

FLINTNFIRE
12-09-2021, 10:48 AM
Well most folks who would steal your firearms would not know the value of the long rifles , Most of mine I put together , the civil war rifles were already made , my safes hold the more modern firearms that would attract the thieving type of scum .

Insurance man told me that he got claims all the time for the safes as well as firearms , his take was they opened most from the top .

Old friend had his safe stolen while he was away visiting family for Christmas , most safes just are not tall enough for the long rifles .

All those nice tools , angle grinders , plasma cutters and even a stick welder can open a safe , and a lot of us bullet casters tend to have those tools , watched a welder with carbon arc rods cut a stainless bar during a flood , bar was pretty thick , cut was done in seconds .

I like them on the wall for my idea of decoration , wood and steel , never was a artistic type so no carving or inlays .

Kids are taught to respect them and not touch , other then that not much of a socializer so no company over anyway .

Those Browning mountain rifles are nice guns .