PDA

View Full Version : Freezer burnt? Don't throw it away

MoldyJoe
01-15-2009, 10:52 AM
We came up with a great way to salvage some of the Venison/ Elk that was in the back of the freezer now that most of the kids have moved away to school, lives, etc. Some of it was up to 5 years old and we just opened it up, cut off the freezer burnt portion (usually only 1/2 to 3/4" on the outside, cut it up into stew meat size chunks and pressure cooked it.
You need to follow the instructions in your pressure cooking book, but we used pint jars and found chicken breasts on sale and did some of them as well. (1 lg breast=1 jar) I figured if the power ever goes out for a while I will still have some meat. P. S when my daughter served it to her roommates who won't eat game she said it was "home made shredded beef" and it tastes fantastic. Put in 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of salt and fill with water to the first big ridge on the top of the bottle.

BPCR Bill
01-17-2009, 05:10 PM
We came up with a great way to salvage some of the Venison/ Elk that was in the back of the freezer now that most of the kids have moved away to school, lives, etc. Some of it was up to 5 years old and we just opened it up, cut off the freezer burnt portion (usually only 1/2 to 3/4" on the outside, cut it up into stew meat size chunks and pressure cooked it.
You need to follow the instructions in your pressure cooking book, but we used pint jars and found chicken breasts on sale and did some of them as well. (1 lg breast=1 jar) I figured if the power ever goes out for a while I will still have some meat. P. S when my daughter served it to her roommates who won't eat game she said it was "home made shredded beef" and it tastes fantastic. Put in 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of salt and fill with water to the first big ridge on the top of the bottle.
Thanks Joe, I have some Caribou that needs to be out of the cold locker and put up!:p

Regards,
Bill

Old Ironsights
01-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Spicy Meatsticks/chubs are another good use. Grind it up fine and Slimjim it.