PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show, Albany, N.Y., 1/24-25/09

Maven
01-15-2009, 10:09 AM
I was looking at the calendar of events that NYS publishes hoping to learn whether or not gun shows have been banned in the the Empire State Plaza: No dice as the on-line calendar showed nothing. However, a Google search revealed the following:

Albany Gun Show, Empire State Plaza, January 24 -25. Hours are 9AM -5PM on Sat. and 9AM - 3PM on Sun.

This used to be one of the better gun shows, but too much schlock has crept in of late. In spite of that, I'm planning to attend. Maybe I'll see you there.

Buckshot
01-16-2009, 03:36 AM
............The big gunshow (Great Western) that used to be held at the Los Angeles county fairgrounds had it's share of Vegematic and Ginsu knife sellers. However the good part was that it was so huge they didn't even figure in. It would run to 5-6 huge exhibition buildings and the areas in between. I sure miss it!

..............Buckshot

BD
01-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Albany is a about a 3 hr trip for me. We'll have to see what the "social director" has going that weekend.

We went to the fall antique gun show at the fairgrounds in Syracuse and both had a great time. Lots of old smoke poles, double barrel shottys, model 12 winchesters and miitary arms. probably the best show I've been to. Virtually no junk stands, and 4 or 5 vendors of old parts.

One guy had about 40 linear feet of table of 4"x 4" parts boxes, all sorted and categorized. I needed a rear sight blade for a Winc M 67 .22 and the guy was able to come up with it in under a minute. I don't remeber a single T-shirt stand. A welcome change from the usual gunshow BS.

BD

Bret4207
01-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Very encouraging BD, maybe I'll get there yet,

bishopgrandpa
01-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Bret4207, I'm from the Saratoga area. Where you located?

Bret4207
01-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Away up north on the border near Ogdensburg, from North Creek originally. Lived in Tupper and Long Lake, still have relatives in Wilton, Glens Falls area.

bishopgrandpa
01-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Syracuse will be handier than Albany for you. Better show to boot. I'm 45 minutes from the Albany show and 2.5 hrs from Syracuse. Have hunted Long Lake and Slide Mtn.

OldBob
01-17-2009, 05:51 PM
I haven't been to the Syracuse show in about 10 years, it was always a darn good one though, you really had to get there early and leave late to see the whole thing. We used to have a pretty good show in Clayton NY but the last 5-6 years it has gone downhill bad, fewer and fewer dealers and more junk and high prices.

Maven
01-19-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm planning to go on Sunday 9 (around 10AM). However, I don't think I'd go at all if I lived more than 75mins. away.

Maven
01-25-2009, 05:03 PM
I just returned from the Albany Gun Show (NYS Arms Collectors are the sponsors.) and didn't find much of interest or many bargains:

Revolutionary & Civil War items: Lots of Civil War rifles, primarily Springfields; lots of Colt's 1851 Navies & 1860 Armies; some Remington NM Armies; a few Starrs & Whitneys; a few Colt pocket pistols, both cased and by themselves. Also, several Revolutionary War muskets. All of this has been there before and at exorbitant prices.

Other BP arms: A few Plains-type percussion items; one T/C Hawken; one T/C New Englander ($125); lots of in-lines of varied manufacture. With the exception of the New Englander, which I'd rate VG externally (the bbl. looked less than pristine, with dings near the nipple), there was nothing reasonably priced.

Reloading gear: Very little, but the molds I saw were nicely priced, e.g., $40 for a Cramer (with handles) for a .45 auto, $40 for a ~480gr. RCBS .45-70 mold, several Rapines for ~ $35. The steal was a complete Lyman True Line, Jr. press + 3 dies and the original box for $60. Brass was expensive if you could find it. However, primers were available @ 20/1,000 Wolf LP (I bought 2k.) and 1 guy had a repackaged 14lb. jug of IMR 5010 for $138. (What universe does he live in?)

Books (not reloading manuals): Large selection, but tres cher!

Schlock: Militaria, no-name scopes, etc. made in-roads again this year.

Rifles, pistols, revolvers (FFL/4473, etc.): Been there done that with high prices. Quite a few milsurp 03A3's, Garand's, .30cal. carbines, one or two Arisakas, all at extremely high prices.

I'm not really complaining, but I am a bit disappointed. On the other hand, it was a nice way to kill a few hours on a very cold afternoon.

bruce drake
01-26-2009, 10:58 AM
With nearly 3ft of snow dumped on us in Watertown on Saturday and Sunday, I opted out of the drive. THank you for the report. Makes me glad I spent three hours snowblowing out the neighbors and myself instead of driving to Albany to face that.

Bruce

cabezaverde
01-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know the 2009 dates for the Syracuse show?

Bret4207
01-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Google is your friend! Looks like 4/18-19. The another in Sept.

http://www.americangunshows.com/GunShows/NY-GunShows.htm

BD
01-27-2009, 04:31 PM
From what I hear the September show is more collectors and the spring show has more junk. I guess I'm guilty of enjoying a show with a good selection of older firearms on display even if the prices are out of sight. I just like to look, and the antique guns keep my wife interested enough that we can spend the whole day.
BD