PDA

View Full Version : An Anticipated Opening Day

ChristopherO
11-30-2021, 02:15 AM
Due to a vehicle accident in September 2020 I was out of commission for last year's deer season. Any season, for that matter. By God's grace and the determination to stand on two feet, traverse uneven ground, to hunt, as motivating goals I used what little free time in 2021 to rehab and refresh myself in casting, reloading and target practicing with a few rifles I thoroughly enjoy. This morning was the start of Gun Season in Ohio, which found me overlooking a freshly harvested soybean field, the very one I shot my first deer in 35 years ago. It isn't a big producer of venison, yet, I find it a spot to go to on opening day every few years, for old time sake, or because I hadn't procured another farm to hunt on by this time of the year. The reason I choose this spot didn't matter. I was going to hunt opening day this year with a renewed vigor to be out with a rifle in hand readied with my cast handloads.

The thermometer was hovering around 20F. Very little breeze to note touched my face, the sunrise over my shoulder was slowly illuminating the landscape to the front of my little spot, cut out of the brush at the field's eastern most edge.
It isn't a stretch to say I was very much looking forward to this activity again. An added touch was my oldest was hunting the east part of the farm across the road. It was a good morning to be out.

Just after legal light I thanked God for this opportunity, and that I would greatly appreciate a deer this morning. With the words leaving my lips I turned my head toward the south (left) and noticed a deer on a high spot about 70 yards out. Because of the distant tree line as a backdrop and the dimness of the dawn I wasn't certain if it was a buck or doe, but leaned toward it being a year and half old buck, by the way it was moving about. If you are familiar, the young guys are looking for company, but aren't quite confident about how to go about it. Much like I was as a young man. That is how this deer was acting. The angle wasn't wise for shooting, as the county road is in that direction, so I elected to watch to see where it would go. Finally, after minutes of indecision, it turned around and walked toward the west. Once it cleared the distant trees the rack on it's head could be clearly seen and confirmed my initial suspicions. A young buck. That'll do. I need the meat and the shot angle is good. Bleating stopped him broadside, the front post of the Marlin Cowboy lined up on the shoulder as I aimed through the Skinner Peep, the trigger squeezed and impact was nearly as loud as the gunshot. He fell without a twitch to the .460" 405 grain WFN boolit with aplomb. Don't think I've seen a deer drop dead quite as fast with a straight wall cartridge as this one did.

My son remarked how loud the meat report sounded to him, when he came over to help load the buck up. That big meplat really put the smack on this guy in a most satisfying manner. I'll conduct a complete autopsy once it is skinned out, but I'm on the prowl for a big doe to go along with this fella. Will keep you posted how that goes, too.

falmike
11-30-2021, 06:47 AM
Well done

Jal5
11-30-2021, 07:30 AM
Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midohhntr
11-30-2021, 07:33 AM
That’s awesome!

danmat
11-30-2021, 08:55 AM
Glad you are healing up, a morning like that rehabs the spirit.

hc18flyer
11-30-2021, 08:56 AM
Well done, and thanks for taking the time to share!

kbstenberg
11-30-2021, 09:06 AM
+5 With the rite incentive mountains can be moved!

Thumbcocker
11-30-2021, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the write up. That is a big bodied youngster. He should eat good.

versa-06
11-30-2021, 11:01 AM
Good to hear your progress, Good photos, Nice deer & gun, Thanks for sharing your hunt.

white eagle
11-30-2021, 11:05 AM
excellent and congrats on the recovery and getting back out there

ShooterAZ
11-30-2021, 11:10 AM
Now that's what hunting is all about. Congrats on your accident recovery, and on a successful hunt. Great story to boot, and thanks for sharing it.

osage
11-30-2021, 11:27 AM
Excellent job on your rehab/recovery and getting back out there along with a nice deer.

marshall623
11-30-2021, 12:10 PM
Glad you could get back out , and good shooting

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

school of mines
11-30-2021, 12:12 PM
Nice writ up and pictures! Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading.

nagantguy
12-02-2021, 01:43 PM
I’m glad you are physically and spiritually healing! Wonderful hunt , I’d give anything to hunt where I took my first deer- it’s a heavy equipment operators school now.
Some years ago a severe shoulder injury had me missing work and how season ; but being mule stubborn I decided to shoot left handed for firearm/muzzle loading season. Took what was at that time my nicest buck ever a 3.5 year old 10 point .
Anyhow very proud of you , and I’m glad you got to hunt with your son!

CastingFool
12-02-2021, 01:54 PM
Congrats on a successful hunt! Excellent write up, too. Made me feel as if I was sitting next to you. God is a God of miracles and sometimes He does things for you, to remind you that He loves you and cares for you.

DougGuy
12-02-2021, 02:22 PM
That's not a good hunt, that's a PERFECT hunt! Nice looking deer, nice looking rifle, good shooting!

sixshot
12-02-2021, 02:52 PM
That's the proper way to rehab! Congratulations!

Dick

koger
12-02-2021, 02:56 PM
Great job, thanks for taking us along an the pics as well.

bisleyfan41
12-02-2021, 03:23 PM
Congrats on a perfect hunt and thanks for sharing your story. God knew you could use a blessing. Best wishes on another for the freezer.

JDL
12-02-2021, 03:55 PM
Most excellent!

ChristopherO
12-02-2021, 08:59 PM
Thank you gentlemen for your kind words and encouragement. It has been long year, but I wasn't complaining knowing it could have been much worse. So grateful to be back out and on my feet doing what we love to do. Yesterday evening's hunt was delightfully interrupted by the lone moo from a neighboring steer. A flood of memories flowed from my head straight to my heart. Long story, but suffice it to say the Holy Spirit was present in that fence line at about 5 pm.

Haven't killed a doe, yet, but still working on it. Here are is the damage report on the 405 Grain WFP/GC boolit that dropped the buck on Monday:

Entry Side. I intentionally aimed for the shoulder to drop the deer fast. It worked well.

What the WFN did to the entry scapula upon impact. He wouldn't have gone far with this type of hit, if he hadn't died on the spot.

Exit wasn't huge but the boolit did the job with the terminal ballistics.

The reason for the bang/flop was that the projectile just touched the bottom of the spine, breaking it in the process. Interestingly, I've seen and also directly hit the spine with large 12 gauge slugs and the animal struggles until the Coup De Grace is administered, and this guy was dead standing. Funny how the CNS can instantly turn off the switch on some shots and not others.

If this buck would have run off it wouldn't have been far with the top of the lungs shredded as they were. As always, I am much pleased with the outcome of this kill and the cast boolits. I keep them fairly soft, never hard cast. Out of the barrel at about 1,700 FPS.

Maybe tomorrow a fat doe will fall. Until then, Happy Hunting!

thadfz
12-02-2021, 09:04 PM
Great write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk