PDA

View Full Version : Saga of missing Miroku M92 buttplate solved.

Buckshot
01-15-2009, 04:10 AM
...............I postred about buying a Winchester M92 made by Miroku. It was from an estate sale and for some reason the buttplate was missing. It was sold to me stating a buttplate had been ordered. If it wasn't on hand at the end of the 10 day waiting period they'd take one off another.

1) Picked up rifle, no buttplate arrived. Gunshop guy took one off a Lightening (Taurus or Uberti I don't know) An Italian or Brazilian made buttplate to go on a Japanese made M92? Guy says "Sure, ther're the same buttstock". Nope, heel cap is too long by a yard.

2) Said he'd take one off a M92 he owned and lend it to me till the ordered one came in. So another trip up to the gunshop. His buttplate has a heel which is radiused. Mine is 90 degrees. Strike 2.

3) Tuesday I get home and a message on answering machine. Gunshop guy says the buttplate has arrived. ALL RIGHT!!! :-) Grab rifle, jump in the car and blister up to the gunshop. Walk in and the guy proudly holds up a gleamingly blued brand new buttplate for (wait for it)............. a CARBINE!

Third time is NOT the charm. I asked, is THAT the buttplate you ordered (consternation on gunshop guy's face)? "Uh, I think so but your's is a rifle and not the carbine". So I said, "and we've been waiting all this time for the WRONG buttplate then, right?" He's really sorry, and I should call and talk to the owner tomorrow (Wednesday, today) and they'd figure out something.

Just so happens 9.3x62AL arrives in town and comes by the house for a visit while in the area. We decide to go get something to eat, and maybe go to the gunshop so he could see those 2 S&W M10 revolvers I'd mentioned. After eating we adjourned to the place, and I point out the 2 revolvers in question, but AL see's 3 old Colt's I'd overlooked.

In the meantime the sales guy and I had a talk. I said I could order a repro sand cast M92 buttplate from Gun Parts or Dixie. Both had the same prices and both probably came from the same source, and regardless where one came from, even a finished one would require some fitting. So they laid $50 on me and we called it square. THE END.

Back to AL.

Seems the 2 Colt revolvers in the case are also from an estate deal. One is a Colt Police Positive in 38 S&W, and the other is a Colt Police Positive Special in 38 Special. Both are in super condition and lock up like vaults. Brand new looking bores. Tight and crisp. Al thinks they were made in the '20's, or early 30's. Perfect grips on both. Beautiful blue with just a hint of holster wear on some sharp edges.

The little Colt in 38 S&W was marked $269 and just as cute as could be. The Police Positive Special was $319. Both are out and lying on top of the glass countertop. AL looks at me with that kind of wild eyed maniacal gleam. You know that look. He either has gas, or he's gonna jump on one of those Colts. So he decides he's gotta have the Colt Police in 38S&W!! :drinks: Well, I had that look too and was desirous for the Police Positive Special. However I had a painting contractor who was supposed to be by at 1 o'clock to give me an estimate on painting the house, and it was 5 till. I didn't have time to start any paperwork.

I told Al I'd blast back home, deal with the contractor and then come back to get him. Did that and got back and he was all done. He had a Dr's appt to be at, so this was my chance to be mature. In California to buy a pistol you have to have a Basic Firearms Safety Card (BFSC) which I dont' have. You have to take this lame-assed 30 question test, which is just an excuse for the state to bilk you out of another $25.

I'll call next Tuesday and if they still have the Police Positive Special I'll go do the stupid test and get it.

.................Buckshot

S.R.Custom
01-15-2009, 06:38 AM
Miroku? Seems to me you could get one from one of the guys listed here...

http://www.winchesterguns.com/services/obsolete.asp

Buckshot
01-16-2009, 04:41 AM
.............SuperMag, tarnation! Great source there, Just this AM I called Dixie and ordered a unfinished 'as cast' cresent buttplate for it.

...............Buckshot

S.R.Custom
01-16-2009, 11:58 AM
That's going to be a lot of work, because you know it's going to require a bunch of hand-fitting... :-?

I'd be inclined to call around to one of those characters I've linked, and if you find one, cancel the DGW order.

Also, I see where the Miroku 1892 is in current production in .44M and .357M. You may be able to get one out of Winchester's current parts Dept...

http://www.winchesterguns.com/services/srvrepar.asp

9.3X62AL
01-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Super Mag, all that hand-fitting and modification is just what Rick craves and longs for. To just order something and have it fit "first try" has no recreational value whatsoever for our own Mad Machinist. He would consider such a move as cheating, or somehow unsporting--like snagging golden trout, or shooting sitting mallards on a farm pond. Where's the vigor (or glory) in that?

S.R.Custom
01-16-2009, 05:07 PM
You'd've thought, then, that he would have been thrilled with the Carbine butt plate...