PDA

View Full Version : THE GREAT ENABLER Strikes Again

9.3X62AL
01-15-2009, 02:22 AM
You all know who I mean--the highly-skilled but reflexively scandalous Buckshot.

It all started innocently enough--I journeyed southward to Civilization for some doctoring, and between the appointments stopped by Casa De Donna y Ricardo for some gun talk and related conversation. I got to see some of the Buckshot R&D Laboratory experiments and projects--if you've seen Dr. Mephisto's castleworks on the South Park cartoon show, then you've been vicariously exposed to Rick's garage. Little more need be said, but it would take genuine imagination and a skilled millwright to get another power fixture installed therein.

His current point of greatest angst and upset was a missing crescent buttplate on a recently-acquired Model 92 in 45 Colt. Why does the phrase "Model 92 in 45 Colt" sound like "Maserati Camper Shell" to my ears? Think "fingernails on chalkboards" here. Buckshot seems to have purchased this rifle in the exhibited buttplateless condition, and his efforts to complete the assembly via the good graces of the seller had met with serial frustration. My own thoughts were along the line of "See what happens when ya buy a faked up South American reproduction of American-built and Browning-designed artistry in a caliber never intended by John Browning, Brigham Young, John Fremont, John Wayne, Randolph Scott, Robert E. Lee, or B. Tyler Henry to EVER be chambered in 45 Colt"..........and then try to find a missing steel crescent buttplate to fit it? Tempting fate with that depth of insolence will get yer dogma run over by somebody's karma just as sure can be. And it did. Res ipsa loquitor.

It was in furtherance of this buttplate sequential drama that Buckshot and I sallied forth toward Yucaipa, stopping enroute to do lunch and eat some actual food (now that the blood draws and other distractions to fine dining and tastable food had been dispensed with). Like all meals eaten with Rick--and there have been many--you emerge at the end of same knowing a lot more about many things than you did before sitting down. That alone is worth the price of admission.

One block away is the toy store involved in this story, Big John's Guns. We land unscathed and enter. Big John's always has lots of interesting war toys and noisemakers, and today was no exception. Rick motioned me toward the display case farthest from the door, and there it was--or, rather, there THEY were--3 VERY NICE Colt double-action revolvers--one an I-frame Army Special Target that was kinda overpriced, and two 4" D-frames--one each in 38 S&W and 38 Special, Police Positive and PP Special.

The PPS was pristine, 95%+. Action was bank-vault tight, mechanically perfect. The PP was nearly as good, with a little strap wear across the recoil hump but perfect bore and mechanics. The 38 S&W was odder, rarer, and $50 cheaper. Sold.

While I was drooling all over the century-old craftsmanship, Rick was finalizing the adjustment on the buttplate acquisition. We both came away happy, me with another V-spring masterpiece and Rick threatening to stop being mature and just buy the PPS. He says the PP purchase was all my fault, but I have a feeling I was "put together" yet again by The Great Enabler.

j20owner
01-15-2009, 03:38 AM
Great story!!!

My 'enabler' struck today as well. The old man(dad) bought a new Ruger BH, 5.5"barrel, .45colt, blue(the exact gun I've been wanting) for $11.73. God bless gift cards. Of course, it wasn't in stock and had to be ordered, but still, I'll get to load for and shoot another great, old, classic cartridge. I can't wait!

Buckshot
01-15-2009, 04:21 AM
.............Another version here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=43499

...............Buckshot

exile
01-15-2009, 08:56 AM
I am at risk for such behavior every time I go into a gunshop. Never fail to see something I like. I wish my gunshop carried more used guns, but I guess if they cannot make a living on it, that is the way it goes. Going there is always fun though, as much for the conversation as anything else. Great story.

exile

Bret4207
01-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Ol Bucksnort shoulda knowed better than to mess with Randolph Scott!

MT Gianni
01-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Nice find guys. Whatever happened to Randolph Scott?

Bret4207
01-15-2009, 01:37 PM
What ever happened to Gene and Tex and Roy and Rex, The Durango kid?

9.3X62AL
01-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Awright, JAPANESE--not South American. I always get those parts of the world mixed up. I should be a bit more charitable, those offshore sources are at least PRODUCING M-92s--unlike New Haven at present.

Catshooter
01-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Between the two of you cowboys I'm not actually sure who is enabling who.

Cat

waksupi
01-15-2009, 02:40 PM
I can see our intervention program needs revamped....

9.3X62AL
01-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Between the two of you cowboys I'm not actually sure who is enabling who.

Cat

Catshooter, Rick and I already had this discussion while driving away from Big John's yesterday. He blamed ME, raving on about how it was all my idea to eat lunch a block away from the gun shop.

He drove.

I rest my case.

fishhawk
01-15-2009, 03:58 PM
well the fix is easy! next time Al you drive!

9.3X62AL
01-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Oh, yeah--a BIG help that will be. I'm certain of it.

mtgrs737
01-15-2009, 06:44 PM
This is what happened to them!

http://oldfortyfives.com/thoseoldwesterns.htm

enjoy!

KYCaster
01-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I can see our intervention program needs revamped....

I couldn't agree more!!! How could they possibly leave the shop without all three of the Colts. Absolutly disgraceful!!!!!!!

Jerry

Catshooter
01-15-2009, 08:08 PM
waksupi,

If you look closely at the bottom of the Intervention Program paperwork and read the authors' names, the real problem should be clear to you.

"Catshooter, Rick and I already had this discussion while driving away from Big John's yesterday. He blamed ME, raving on about how it was all my idea to eat lunch a block away from the gun shop.

He drove.

I rest my case."

That the best you can do? I don't think you're fooling anyone here. Actually some recent documents uncovered by the Freedom of Information Act suggest stronly that you and Rick are identical twins.

Care to confirm/deny?

Cat

9.3X62AL
01-15-2009, 10:18 PM
The FOIA is filled with holes and overstatements.

Not twins, but we're both from families of long background in the San Bernardino Valley. We grew up within 10 miles of each other, and are a year apart age-wise. I suppose the term "grew up" is a little imprecise in our respective cases, but there you have it.

I agree that it was disgraceful to leave not 3 but 4 Colts behind. I failed to mention the Mark III Trooper in 22 LR x 6" in the same display case. I'm not wild about J-frame Colts, though.

S.R.Custom
01-16-2009, 01:24 AM
(I take it that the wimmen-folk in your respective lives had other designs on your time and money? :razz: )

9.3X62AL
01-16-2009, 01:43 AM
I screwed THAT up.......

What an appalling statement. Spoken like a man who has never felt the oppressive hand of marriage. When DON'T womenfolk have "better" ideas for the time and money of the men in their lives?

Jon K
01-16-2009, 02:16 AM
The FOIA is filled with holes and overstatements.

I agree that it was disgraceful to leave not 3 but 4 Colts behind. I failed to mention the Mark III Trooper in 22 LR x 6" in the same display case. I'm not wild about J-frame Colts, though.

Well..................you guys shoulda taken Larry & Turk with you, they might have taken the others you left behind.

Jon

Scrounger
01-16-2009, 11:16 AM
I screwed THAT up.......

What an appalling statement. Spoken like a man who has never felt the oppressive hand of marriage. When DON'T womenfolk have "better" ideas for the time and money of the men in their lives?

Something I've always wondered is why guys that go through a bad marriage and divorce can't wait to jump back into the same situation again! Talk about learning curve...

9.3X62AL
01-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Something I've always wondered is why guys that go through a bad marriage and divorce can't wait to jump back into the same situation again! Talk about learning curve...

Good question, Art. Any successful re-marriage is a triumph of hope over experience, I suppose.

To be more fair and accurate, Marie gives me ZERO grief over gun purchases or components acquisitions. She isn't into the gun hobby field like most of us are, but GREATLY enjoys shooting and appreciates nice firearms. She loves that little DetSpec I brought home last month, and will feel similarly about the little PP.

The "problem"--if it is one--is mine. I like firearms. I enjoy shooting them, working on them, and crafting ammo for them. I enjoy sharing those experiences with friends and family, and more than a few of the firearms have gone in their direction to enhance their enjoyment of the hobby. The question, at bottom, is "How many are ENOUGH?" For that, I don't have a good answer. I guess I'll know it when I get there. :)

S.R.Custom
01-16-2009, 05:22 PM
So this massive yoke of matriarchal oppression that you make such a great show of laboring under doesn't even exist? So why all the guilt? Did you spend your childhood under the vigorous guiding hand of the Catholic school system? Seems to me if Marie were indeed such a shining beacon of ballistic virtue, you would be singing her praises loudly so that the angry and bitter shrews of the world might take inspiration...

Buckshot
01-17-2009, 04:36 AM
..............I side step the issue by just keeping my mouth shut. I don't try to hide them however, as firearms are invisivble to Donna. "Trouble not the lioness in her lair", or some such:-)

...........Buckshot

9.3X62AL
01-18-2009, 01:19 AM
Super Mag, I'm a recovering Roman Catholic. I'm not a product of Catholic schooling, but that sort of backstop was always waiting in the wings if my attitude and demeanor wasn't up to standard through school. BIG STICK, that was. Marie DID go the Catholic school route, and is not its biggest fan.

Buckshot
01-25-2009, 05:12 AM
...............Just think Al, only 2 more days and you can pick up your new Colt! :-)

..............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
01-25-2009, 04:47 PM
True that, Rick.

I planned to do The Mature Thing and wait until Saturday, when I could combine the roller pickup with the usual end-of-month medicine stop in Yucaipa (Saturday 1/31).

Yeah, RIGHT.

Turns out, Marie is heading for civilization Friday afternoon and spending the weekend--so she can do the meds run. I think it is safe to say that I will be in Yucaipa on Tuesday morning. I see a lunch run in the making, if you're clear for same.

waksupi
01-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Burritos and a new Colt. Sounds like heaven on earth!

Jon K
01-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Al,

I might stop by for lunch, if I get out of physical therapy in time. I start PT Tuesday and Thursday.

Has Rick been redeemed from exile?

Jon

Bigjohn
01-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Burritos ?????

Not something which is mentioned on a lot of menu's here downunder.:-?

The only time I have to explain is when a new safe appears. There just too big to hide.

John

Buckshot
01-26-2009, 03:17 AM
True that, Rick.

I planned to do The Mature Thing and wait until Saturday, when I could combine the roller pickup with the usual end-of-month medicine stop in Yucaipa (Saturday 1/31).

Yeah, RIGHT.

Turns out, Marie is heading for civilization Friday afternoon and spending the weekend--so she can do the meds run. I think it is safe to say that I will be in Yucaipa on Tuesday morning. I see a lunch run in the making, if you're clear for same.

..............Do you suppose someone that looks like me has missed too many meals :-). Did you get any ammo loaded for it? If not I have some ammo. Some for the "V" models and some for the Iver Johnson (1.6gr BE/150gr WC) if you wanna, you know ...............shoot it, HA!

...............Jon K Al, Has Rick been redeemed from exile? Notchet. Shortly I hope!

................Waksupi, "Burritos and a new Colt. Sounds like heaven on earth!" Maybe relleno's too :-) Gotta dive outside town makes the best carne asada street tacos. Grease just runs down your arm and drips off your elbow :drinks:

..................Buckshot

Bret4207
01-26-2009, 09:14 AM
..............Do you suppose someone that looks like me has missed too many meals :-). Did you get any ammo loaded for it? If not I have some ammo. Some for the "V" models and some for the Iver Johnson (1.6gr BE/150gr WC) if you wanna, you know ...............shoot it, HA!

...............Jon K Al, Has Rick been redeemed from exile? Notchet. Shortly I hope!

................Waksupi, "Burritos and a new Colt. Sounds like heaven on earth!" Maybe relleno's too :-) Gotta dive outside town makes the best carne asada street tacos. Grease just runs down your arm and drips off your elbow :drinks:

..................Buckshot

There's a picture.....:mrgreen:

9.3X62AL
01-26-2009, 11:22 AM
BigJohn--

Sorry for the misunderstanding between us colonists. :) A burrito is sort of a casserole contained within a wrapped flour tortilla (tor-TEE-ya, flat bread made of flour & lard). Contents can vary, but often their base ingredient is refried beans, adding any sort of meat you might have handy/cubed or pulled, rice, vegetables, you name it. Breakfast burritos with scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, beans, or rice are another option. These have become a fast food staple in many parts of the United States, but originated in Mexican and Native American kitchens as a form of lunch packaging. Can't speak for Buckshot, but the Mexican kids and Anglos like me did a brisk trade at lunch time when I was in school--they were fond of our ham & cheese or salami sandwiches, while we craved their burritos mightily.

I've got materials galore for the new-to-me Colt, they're just unassembled at present. What I would like to do--if you're amenable--at some time before or after lunch, grab your pin gauge set and see what we're dealing with in terms of throats and land diameter. Unlike our S&W M&P revos, these little rollers are regulated for 145-150 grain boolits running 700 FPS or so. The British mil-spec loads would strain the Police Positive, although the top-break loads would be fine. My concern is that most Colts in both 38 S&W and in 38 Special run tighter throats than S&Ws typically feature, and our .363" boolits likely won't fit.

If you would like some of the NEI #169A PRC (Preposterous Revolver Chow) boolits, I have some ready for ya. Only seems fair, after the use of the wide-bodied Lyman #358063 you extended me a while back. Lemme know, sir.

9.3X62AL
01-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Well, so much for burrito lunch plans. I rolled outta the rack at 9:25 A.M., and with a 2 hour+ drive to Inland ahead of me.......no way I would arrive in time for the Burrito Run. Expletives deleted, I drove through and got some road brunch and set out. The only hold-up was a road maintenence stop in Johannesburg (10 minutes), and I got to check out the snowy ambiance on the Mel Gibson-esque Road Warrior motif that prevails thereabouts.

I arrived at Inland F&G just before noon, and just after lunch. The Usual Suspects were in attendance, including Senor Buckshot. All were basking in the afterglow of Rosa Maria's chile relleno burritos, the scalawags.

After discussion of world events and Rick's latest learning curve adventure with a new shop gizmo, 4 of us (Glen, Larry, Rick, and I) adjourned to Big John's to pick up the Colt Police Positive, newly paroled by the Governator as of 10 A.M. this date. No snags in that process, and the others entertained themselves drooling on toys and accessories while I signed and re-signed and re-thumb-printed a 4473 and the state forms assigning the gun to me. No injuries or incidents were recorded during this visit, and it was a fine time, with another Burritoisto of long standing behind the counter at the shop (Bearwalker). Good seeing him again, for sure.

Rick assisted with the Tale of the Tape concerning the 38 S&W. Throats look to be .359", groove roughly .356" and land diameter .346" at the muzzle. Given the usual Colt "choke" at the muzzle, I'm guessing the grooves are right around .358" and lands about .348".

Pics to follow.

Buckshot
01-28-2009, 03:00 AM
.............Yup, was a fine vist. We forgot to take pictures of the wee cute beastie :-) Al,you also left your paperwork sitting on the chest freezer. I was really surprized at the tightness of that Colt, it being chambered to 38 S&W and all. Orta just call it a 38 Special short, heh, heh!

...............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
01-28-2009, 04:26 AM
Al,you also left your paperwork sitting on the chest freezer. I was really surprized at the tightness of that Colt, it being chambered to 38 S&W and all. Orta just call it a 38 Special short, heh, heh!

...............Buckshot

I noted the absence of the paperwork when I got home, which gives a measure of the high esteem in which I hold such things, I suppose. Put it someplace safe, and I'll snag it next trip south. "38 Special Short" grates on my sensibilities more than slightly, sir--shall I say unkind things about those T-post-length milsurps you favor, or about their use as fencing supports w/fixed bayonets?

I thought not.

MT Gianni
01-28-2009, 10:34 AM
So Bucksot passed on the special or was it no longer available? Al you need to explain how nice those sights are for aging eyes.

9.3X62AL
01-29-2009, 01:38 AM
Gianni, the PPS was still in the case, so Buckshot's resolve has held (so far). As for the sights......well, they are usable. Sort of.

DanWalker
02-04-2009, 03:34 AM
No pics yet? What gives?
How are we to live vicariously through your purchases without pics?

Buckshot
02-04-2009, 04:06 AM
..............Yeah, I wanna know what happened, or actually how it did when he shot it. The dimensions were tighter then you see on 38 Specials.

..............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
02-04-2009, 05:39 AM
No shooting of the little critter just yet. I had to create some brass outta loaded 38/200 British ammo, which got accomplished a few days back. I would also like to pour some #358477s for the Initial Public Offering, and that is pending presently--along with a top-off of assorted 38 and 45 caliber boolit stocks that got depleted during a recent spate of cartridge refilling, brought on by the re-discovery of brass that made the July move but remained in hiding until unearthed by Marie during a search for barbecue tools for Super Bowl Sunday. TMI, I know.

I'd like to get some Tyler T-Grips for both this Police Positive and for the DetSpec. The PP will get first dibs, and will be the guinea pig to see whether that aluminum filler will mar bluing or stocks. The DetSpec's finish is too nice to see get bubba'ed by such ventures. In my big ol' paws, those tiny grips and the space behind the trigger beg for filling--and the DetSpec jumps around some when being fired on this account.

Those dimensional specs were not a complete surprise. Colts in 38 Special/357 Magnum generally run tighter than S&W or Ruger revolvers so chambered, as did a lone Colt Anaconda I once had in 44 Magnum.