PDA

View Full Version : Removing A BOSS

Johnch
11-27-2021, 09:24 PM
I just got a Winchester 70 in 30-06 , factory box , a mounted Leupold scope and 17 rounds & 3 empty cases in a factory box
From what I was told , my Uncle shot the 3 shots the out of the rifle and put it away
The rifle looks like it is brand new

A early Christmas gift to me from them as I hunt and will use it

It has a BOSS on it
I would like to remove it
Is there a thread protector made , designed to protect the threads ?

John

1Hawkeye
11-27-2021, 10:02 PM
I don't know if Browning still sells them or not but they use to offer a replacement that didn't have all the vent holes in it and they were a lot quieter option.

M-Tecs
11-27-2021, 10:21 PM
It's been years since I worked on one but IF I remember correctly it should be 9/16"-24 threads

John Taylor
11-28-2021, 10:27 AM
I should be able to make one, just need to know what size thread you need.

buckwheatpaul
11-28-2021, 12:41 PM
My old A-Bolt had one and it came with a tread protector when you took the BOSS off for hunting....dont remember the thread count.....cant tell you as I got older and dont like the heavy recoil of .338 Win....

Johnch
12-06-2021, 02:30 AM
Thanks

Sorry I was away for a bit
Had to deal with a multi day Migraine
So I had to spend a few days in the hospital to get IV pain meds ..... Not fun

John

Bmp4510
12-06-2021, 02:44 AM
Sorry to hear about your migraine. I had a Browning BAR with the BOSS, an early one that had the compensator cut into it. Muzzle blast was horrible hunting, tolerable at the range with muffs on. A few years later they came out with a blank sleeve that replaced the compensator sleeve and it really quoted the rifle down, although more kick was noticed.

I’d recommend finding the blank sleeve and keep the system OEM intact. The weighted end piece correspond to the hash marks in the barrel, and you could tune the rifle to the loads, instead of the loads to the rifle. I remember had a bench shooter friend that played with the rifle and he got it down to under 1/2” groups at 100 yards with factory ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bmp4510
12-06-2021, 02:44 AM
Forgot to ad the BAR was a 30.06

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk