PDA

View Full Version : Pepper grinders

MaryB
11-27-2021, 02:58 PM
Awhile back there was a pepper grinder discussion(before we had the cooking gear thread). My beat up old wooden grinder is dying, I have to hold the burr in while filling or it falls out(the strap holding it in tore put of the wood multiple times, sure I could rebuild that but the burr is badly worn).

I need a mill that will produce a lot of pepper at times and turns easy(carpal tunnel).

I know one brand rose to the top... and due to advanced CRS I can't think of it LOL

BJK
11-27-2021, 05:08 PM
We've used Turkish Coffee Grinders for years. They last and last and yes, they'll put out lots of pepper. Not a wimpy grinder at all.

We've had ours for over 30 years and they're still going strong and they get lots of use. Ours is NOT the electric type.

https://www.coffee-statistics.com/best-turkish-coffee-grinder/

At the 2nd link is the type we have.
https://www.amazon.com/Pepper-Mill-Imports-Traditional-Coffee/dp/B000WCRKHC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=Pepper%2BMill%2BImports%2 BTraditional%2BCoffee%2FSpice%2BMill%2C%2BBrass%2C %2B11%22&qid=1558496557&s=gateway&sr=8-3-fkmrnull&linkCode=ll1&tag=atlascoffee-20&linkId=513e910cd78206a0bb9d612c14841dc6&language=en_US&th=1

GregLaROCHE
11-28-2021, 12:35 AM
I discovered that an old antique box type coffee grinder works great. That’s all I use these days.

barrabruce
11-28-2021, 08:06 AM
I have used an expensive grinders for salt and pepper.
With ceramic burrs and all.
They didn’t last that long.

Our favourite one is a small local brand that comes with pepper in it.
They die after a few years like the rest but are cheap and easily handled.
I just dried a heap of our own grown peppercorns and I chuck some of ‘Em in the electric coffee grinder for a few spurts to brake them up a little.
Just like our daily grind of coffee but very course.1/4 corns maybe.
They tend to go thou the grinder a lot easier without fuss.
Being smallish you get to grind a new batch every now and again which keeps the flavour fresh just
like coffee does.

Ohh ….fresh dried peppercorns …or home grown herbs really do make meals

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-01-2021, 05:21 PM
Zassenhaus Speyer (made in Germany).
They have a handle crank and aren't that expensive.
The new one's are ceramic, the old ones are SS. Look for a gently used older one, made in W. Germany ;)

Baltimoreed
12-01-2021, 05:53 PM
You need one of those old Sharps rifles that had a coffee grinder built into the buttstock. Handy when your in your bivouac.

MaryB
12-02-2021, 01:32 PM
I have a little coffee grinder for when I need bulk ground pepper...

I need a hand mill for table use or when I am at the stove seasoning things...

I do not like to pre-grind a bunch and have it sit. Loses to much flavor after 1 day

Electrod47
12-02-2021, 01:50 PM
I discovered that an old antique box type coffee grinder works great. That’s all I use these days.

Thats what my mom always used and I have followed suit into my 75th year of pepper eating. There was a chain Steakhouse back in the day called "The Pepper Grinder" That had the old style coffee grinders on each table filled with pepper corns and even offered them for sale. I found one on Ebay for 10.00 10 years ago and is still going strong with daily use.

GregLaROCHE
12-02-2021, 03:15 PM
Thats what my mom always used and I have followed suit into my 75th year of pepper eating. There was a chain Steakhouse back in the day called "The Pepper Grinder" That had the old style coffee grinders on each table filled with pepper corns and even offered them for sale. I found one on Ebay for 10.00 10 years ago and is still going strong with daily use.

Mine is over a hundred years old and I’ve been using it since I got it almost fifteen years ago. I got one for a friend as a thank you present, but he never used it. To each his own.

BJK
12-02-2021, 06:51 PM
I need a hand mill for table use or when I am at the stove seasoning things...

Yup, the Turkish coffee mills are for use in the hand. We have one at the table with B' pepper in it and a few near the range top for use in cooking filled with black pepper and other peppers.

Gofaaast
12-03-2021, 12:33 AM
I was gifted a battery operated S&P set from sams club a few years back that are still going strong. I filled both with pepper corns as I have no desire to grind salt. They would be excellent for arthritic hands. They require 4 aa batteries each.

sierra1911
12-06-2021, 05:54 PM
I did a little research a couple of years ago and purchased a Magnum Plus from Unicorn Mills (unicornmills.org). Couldn't be more pleased. Grind size is easily adjustable over a wide range and it puts out enough pepper for large pots of food. The also sell a Magnum grinder which i believe is the same grinding mechanism but with a smaller reservoir for peppercorns and also comes with a plastic tray to avoid dibbles of ground pepper on the countertop.

They sell their products via Amason. They formerly had a matching salt grinder but discontinued it because of salt in humid climates adhering into a mass and not dropping into the grinding mechanism. I called the company and they assembled and sold one to me after I promised that it'd only be used at my current location in the driest of all 50 states.

MaryB
12-07-2021, 02:04 PM
I did a little research a couple of years ago and purchased a Magnum Plus from Unicorn Mills (unicornmills.org). Couldn't be more pleased. Grind size is easily adjustable over a wide range and it puts out enough pepper for large pots of food. The also sell a Magnum grinder which i believe is the same grinding mechanism but with a smaller reservoir for peppercorns and also comes with a plastic tray to avoid dibbles of ground pepper on the countertop.

They sell their products via Amason. They formerly had a matching salt grinder but discontinued it because of salt in humid climates adhering into a mass and not dropping into the grinding mechanism. I called the company and they assembled and sold one to me after I promised that it'd only be used at my current location in the driest of all 50 states.

Thanks! I had ordered the Unicorn Magnum last week! Looked at Amazon reviews and it was a winner. And the name rang a bell from that old discussion here. I buy peppercorns by the pound... that is how much black pepper I use LOL

DougGuy
12-07-2021, 03:03 PM
Thanks! I had ordered the Unicorn Magnum last week! Looked at Amazon reviews and it was a winner. And the name rang a bell from that old discussion here. I buy peppercorns by the pound... that is how much black pepper I use LOL

Be glad you did when you did, I looked just out of curiosity, and they are Currently unavailable.

We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

I use a store bought bottle of peppercorns that has the grinder built in, I like the Alessi brand.

MaryB
12-08-2021, 03:10 PM
I am iffy if it will arrive... said in stock when I ordered it, but it hasn't shipped yet.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-08-2021, 03:42 PM
On Cyber Monday (8 days ago), I ordered 4 items from Amazon (all were in stock and all were to be shipped from Amazon Warehouse). I got a "shipped" email for two items on Sunday, the other two items, no email notice yet, so I assume they haven't shipped. So I suspect the warehouses in MN (and maybe all over?) are way backlogged.
It was also on the news yesterday, that Amazon's cloud was "OUT" for a few hours, putting all Amazon's activities on hold.

Wayne Smith
12-09-2021, 11:48 AM
Have wood lathe? I do and make my own. www.pennstateind.com is where I get the kit.