PDA

View Full Version : Tip for applying loose gas checks

Shuz
11-27-2021, 02:29 PM
Smear a thin layer of boolit lube near your sizer. Take a boolit to be gas checked and lightly touch the base of the boolit to the lube before picking up the gas check with the boolit base. Really nice for boolits where the gas check shank is on the small side and the gas check wants to slip off before it reaches the sizer.

fastdadio
11-27-2021, 02:34 PM
Thanks for that bit of wisdom. I've had this happen, and I used my grease syringe to put a drop in each cup. Then the cups stuck to the tip of the syringe.......

metricmonkeywrench
11-27-2021, 06:28 PM
For the loose ones I keep a stick (screw tube type) of hobby paper glue nearby and dab the bullet base before putting on the check to keep those pesky ones in place til I can seat them.

Bad Ass Wallace
11-27-2021, 09:38 PM
Strange thinking, if the shank is small then forcing a lubed GC on is going to leave a boolit base that is smaller than the desired bore diameter. I successfully use oversized GC's example 8mm for 303 boolits (0.316") and 7mm for 270 boolits (0.278").

It is the diameter of base of the boolit as it leaves the barrel that is most critical.

0.278 boolits with 7mm gas checks

https://i.imgur.com/CtMbKoRl.jpg