PDA

View Full Version : Lock-Eze?

PopcornSutton
11-27-2021, 07:04 AM
Just wondering if anyone tried Lock-Eze for lubing the sprue plate pivot. Since it is a suspended graphite and the liquid evaporates away, would it not work? I have a couple nose pour molds and there is a plate top and bottom.

georgerkahn
11-27-2021, 08:13 AM
I have not used the product you mentioned, but did try/use a similar product -- with quite the disappointment. I tried a Teflon-based dry lub which worked awesomely until the mould was heated for a bit... then the lub properties turned to "braking" ;) properties. If I was to try a product like you're suggesting -- I'd put some on either an old mould I do not care about --or, preferably a couple of pieces of metal from the scrap box; HEAT to casting temp; cool; and reheat a few times for me to see if the lubricating properties remain.
Just a suggestion...
geo

FLINTNFIRE
11-28-2021, 01:51 AM
I never used it on sprue plates , but loved it for doors in house and cars .

Cosmic_Charlie
11-28-2021, 09:43 AM
Two Stroke oil and a Q-tip.

DHDeal
11-28-2021, 10:11 AM
Lock eze (or any of the lock sprays) work great........for locks.

Lord knows I try to reinvent a wheel and the best I've been able to do is make a wheel. I keep stout bamboo qtips (Ramrodz by brand) coated with mold lube and wipe the sprue plates every 20ish drops. I leave the bullets in the cavities when I do it and I can get off any lead on the mold tops without any worries of contamination.

By all means, try it and see if it works for you.

jsizemore
11-28-2021, 11:27 AM
I tried it and it was like I didn't do anything. 2 stroke oil works great. I apply at the end of my casting session and cast a few more to cook it. I throw those bullets back in the pot for next time. Mold is good to go after heating on the hot plate next time.

longbow
11-28-2021, 01:38 PM
Not sure about the carriers or other additives in Lock- Eze but graphite works and is a good high temperature dry lubricant.

I use powdered graphite (dry powdered graphite) plus a bit of sprue plate lube or 2 stroke oil. The graphite coates the metal surfaces and helps lubricate even if the oil burns off.

Mould releases... or at least some mould releases are graphite based. I do not use mould release in cavities though, just saying graphite takes the heat.

Longbow

G W Wade
11-28-2021, 03:59 PM
I was lucky. I procured an "empty" qt of synthetic 2 stroke motor oil. Apply with a q-tip The powder would be nice because easier to keep out of mold cavity GW

Three44s
11-28-2021, 09:30 PM
I was lucky. I procured an "empty" qt of synthetic 2 stroke motor oil. Apply with a q-tip The powder would be nice because easier to keep out of mold cavity GW

+10!

That’s what I did, procured a tossed container of that stuff my brother “used up”. Enough left for many casting sessions.

Three44s

MT Gianni
11-29-2021, 03:07 PM
A 2 oz bottle of synthetic two stroke oil was $0.99 at the hardware store a couple of years ago. I will never use it all.

gwpercle
11-29-2021, 03:32 PM
Two Stroke oil and a Q-tip.

LIKE !

So cheap , so easy and it works like gangbusters on pivot points .
Dry Lube is good as a mould release , inside the cavities but Teflon can take a lot of heat ... but , you can't over heat it .
Gary