PDA

View Full Version : Vent about my broken Mossberg 464

handyrandyrc
01-14-2009, 11:33 PM
I got my Mossberg 464 back from the repair facility today. Checked the serial number to make sure it was the one I sent out -- yup! Attention turned to the extractor -- it looked nearly the same as the one I sent in! In fact, so MUCH like the one I sent in, that I believe it was the VERY broken/bent extractor pictured in my original thread. However, it looks like someone had perhaps bent it back into place...

GREAT.

I put a couple of rounds in the tube to cycle, and I gave it a swing. Locked up perfectly, racheted the lever back, then forward, and realized IT'S DOUBLE FEEDING! What?!? I peered down at the 'fixed' extractor, to find the tip COMPLETELY MISSING NOW. I've broken it clean off. ONE LOUSY ROUND chambered and the extractor tip busted right off clean.

So -- here are the details. Bent the extractor within a handful of rounds out of the box, to where it would not extract anymore. Seemed the extractor was CHEAP and would give me trouble. After hearing reports of the same, I decided it best to send back to Mossberg for repair. I spent 27 dollars of my own cash to send/insure it on 10 Dec 2008.

Today is 14 Jan 2009 -- it has been gone for 34 days. Albiet, some of that time was over the holidays, so perhaps that could be expected. But to send it back, unfixed!?! No packing slip was enclosed. I was hoping to see a work order of some type, to show what had been done, but nothing. A technician bent my flimsy extractor tip back into place, something I COULD HAVE DONE with needle-nosed pliers, and sent it back.

I could not confirm whether it had been received for nearly 10 days after I sent it. If you call Mossberg tech line, you'll get one of a few things: Busy signal (not good), 20-30 minutes on hold (not good), and someone who is in a hurry to get you off the phone (not good). They will not follow up with a phone call if you leave a message. Your e-mail will go unanswered. I am not kidding, I tried all of the methods of contact.

I finally called after it had been gone 20+ days, to see if it had been worked on. Nobody could tell if anything had been done. I was told I would receive a call to let me know status of the work, and when it might ship.

After 24+ days, and not receiving the promised status call, I inquired again. I sat on the phone for 20 minutes, and got someone who said they would find it. I waited for 15 minutes to have them return, and tell me that it would be shipped out 'tomorrow'. I was told I'd receive a call to give me tracking information.

2 days later, after not hearing back, I called again. I waited my 20 minutes. I got a person who said they would find out what my tracking number was. They returned after 15 minutes to tell me they would call back with the number. I received a call back this time (phew!) with the tracking number.

Tracking number showed it had been printed on 7 Jan 2009. However, the package was not even scanned by FedEx until 10-Jan 2009. My promised ship date slipped and passed, and I finally saw it hit the road and get on its way. It arrived this evening, and I was so excited to go and give it a try.

No dice.

It's like buying a car, but the keys they give you are made of super-thin glass. The first time you go to start the car, the glass key breaks off in the ignition. The factory needs you to send everything back to have it repaired, AT YOUR SHIPPING COST. After a month of waiting, the car comes back, and you realize that the tech has glued the broken glass key back together. WHAT?!?!?! Obviously, it breaks again when you try to start it.

I HAVE HAD A RIFLE NOW SINCE 5 DEC 2008 that will not function. Mossberg, are you guys listening? If you weren't off at the SHOT Show, Mr. Mossberg, I'd be on the phone with you tomorrow, but I realize there isn't a chance in hell I'll find you during that. You'll probably be announcing new models tomorrow to the public.

Thanks guys -- have a laugh at me, I know I gave others a hard time about their problems. I really wanted to give these guys an honest chance. I have had a Kel Tec pistol that I went through this same rig-a-ma-roll with a couple of years ago, fixed, come back, breaks in a few rounds, etc. I got rid of it, and swore I'd never buy another Kel Tec. WHY DO I ALWAYS PICK THE LEMONS?!?

EMC45
01-15-2009, 07:41 AM
The new kid on the block isn't always the best.

missionary5155
01-15-2009, 07:46 AM
Good morning
An old saying down here... " Never be the first.. Never be the last ".

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2009, 08:16 AM
boy if that dont sound like ruger!! About the same exact thing has happened to me twice with ruger. Call them and tell them you want a paid shipping label. They should at least pay for the shipping this time.

Baron von Trollwhack
01-15-2009, 08:20 AM
How about mailing those mossberg people a copy of this page and tell them their shi**y customer service on your problem will display for months for tens of thousands to see and understand that you got screwed, as we bump it to the top on our highly respected forum.

Suggest they read the leverguns discussions and think about who on their staff is sabotaging their new effort to sell a mossburg 30-30 levergun to Americans. We get more than enough of this cra* from chinese junk. BvT

handyrandyrc
01-15-2009, 12:25 PM
I decided I didn't want to send it in for another month, whether they pre-pay for shipping or not.

Before I told them anything this morning, I asked what work had been done. A new extractor was put in, as well as a new carrier (I was also initially having feed issues).

So I guess I broke a brand new extractor.

I asked them to send another extractor -- I'll do the replacement. I suppose I will be making a pictorial guide on "how to replace your Mossberg 464 extractor".

Junior, I'm going to use your Winchester 94 disassembly guide to get me started! Most of the steps seem to apply to this Mossberg, as it seems like a very close copy. Some things are slightly different, but no so much as to throw me off too much.

NHlever
01-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Lloyd, you are one of the few that has received a poor response from the Ruger customer service folks. I'm sorry to hear about your poor experiences. Did they relate to the service itself, to shipping costs, or knowledge of the service folks?

MtGun44
01-15-2009, 10:17 PM
I have to say Ruger treated me extremely well the one time I needed to
get pistol worked on. The pistol was 20+ years old and they replaced
the grip frame, which required replacing all the internals and grips since
they had changed. This was a .22 auto target model, that I bought used.
I got a totally new lower half for nothing and quick service.

I'm surprised if they don't do good service in other cases.

Bill

jh45gun
01-16-2009, 01:00 AM
boy if that dont sound like ruger!! About the same exact thing has happened to me twice with ruger. Call them and tell them you want a paid shipping label. They should at least pay for the shipping this time.

After owning LOTS of rugers in the past I do not own any. Their quality control sucks as does their attention to stuff at the factory.

Throckmorton
01-16-2009, 02:41 AM
i AGREE , you sould send an email including the link to this page,and tell them that we here buy guns from Good companies,and shun the rest.
Sad to hear of this kind of treatmant.

corvette8n
01-16-2009, 06:02 PM
I like leverguns so I went to a local gunshop and picked up the Moss 464 in the case, cycled it a few time and it just didn't feel right. So I put it back.
I decided to stick with pre 64 Winnys and Marlins made in the 50's.

Huntsman
09-15-2013, 12:44 PM
I just bought a 464 SPS ZMB. I took it out to the range yesterday (Sat Sep 14th) and after the 9th or so round the extractor broke. ***??? I thought.
So being of sound mind and Armourer by trade I contacted Mossberg in hoped they send me 2x extractors and I will carry out the repairs myself.
This aint my 1st lever just my 1st Mossberg lever. I like the gun and concept and growing up watching George A Romeros zombie flicks only seemed suiting lol. Plus I love the 30-30 cartridge. Another plus about this lever gun is I can adjust the length of pull som my daughter can hunt with it ;)
Lets hope Mossbergs questionable customer service will see things my way.
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i375/Jamie_MG/Mossberg-464-ZMB-Lever-Action-Rifle_zpsb1579e37.jpg (http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/Jamie_MG/media/Mossberg-464-ZMB-Lever-Action-Rifle_zpsb1579e37.jpg.html)

Huntsman
09-20-2013, 07:36 PM
I got in contact with Mossberg today and because I live in Canada they will not ship me the "spring steel extractor" to my address.
I'm not too happy right now!
They want me to take it back to the dealer I bought it from and they will send the whole thing back to Mossberg and I probably wont get it back for awhile and it will cost me shipping charges.
Did I say I was'nt too happy!!

Huntsman
09-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Ok, I'm happy again. :D
I simply took it to the store where it was purchased (not by me). I had no receipt but they said no problem nor worries. They send it to the Mossberg dude in Ontario and he dioes all the warranty work soI dropped it off today and expect a long wait. So to tide me over till then I walked out of the store with a Mossberg 500 ZMB :bigsmyl2:
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i375/Jamie_MG/50592_500persuaderzmb_sling_zps5486ead5.jpg (http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/Jamie_MG/media/50592_500persuaderzmb_sling_zps5486ead5.jpg.html)
:-D

Bzcraig
09-21-2013, 09:32 PM
I have now and previously owned a few flavors of Mossy 500's and have been well pleased. I was considering buying a mossy 308 4x4 until I contacted customer service and gt the run around with just a simple question about a particular stock being available, I waited about 10 mins with a promise to get me an answer. Waited two weeks called back asked for the lady I spoke with the first time and she claimed she had no idea what I was talking about. I decided that if that was the best their customer service gets, I would not buy a gun from them.

jmort
09-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Mossberg customer service blows. I have a 500 and had a 590 and both were/are great. Othewrwise, Mossbreg customer service blows.