PDA

View Full Version : What's the secret to searching by caliber on this Forum?

JackQuest
11-25-2021, 02:42 PM
I've used up my search engine tricks brought with me into retirement.

I'm looking for 40 S&W loads, and also for moulds suitable for 40S&W including the 38-40 mould that I did not create a bookmark for.

Any insight is appreciated!

And have a great holiday sleeping off the turkey & dressing!

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-25-2021, 08:24 PM
sometimes I have luck searching for specific things using "search forum", which comes up when you click on the forum you want to search. It doesn't work for non-specific things like 40 S&W.

So, when that doesn't work, I use google with website specific directions, like this...
site:castboolits.gunloads.com 40 S&W loads

Winger Ed.
11-25-2021, 08:29 PM
Put 'Loads for .40 S&W' into a regular search engine.

A BUNCH of data will pop right up.
I've searched for things that way, and had some links come back here on posts from years gone by.

RickinTN
11-25-2021, 08:32 PM
Go to an outside search engine and enter your search criteria as well as Castboolits.gunloads.com. This usually works for me better than the forum search engine.
Rick

toallmy
11-26-2021, 08:41 AM
For a few years I spent a lot of time in the archives doing deep research , but it seems the search does not work as well for me as it did in the past .

Ben
11-26-2021, 10:18 AM
For me , the forum search engine doesn't work well at all.

MOA
11-26-2021, 06:11 PM
I think I remember asking No. 1 about the search engine on the forum not working like it use to. I think he told me that when they did a update or had to switch something that the search engine here on the forum does not work anymore. I think your more likely to get your answer by Google and look for an answer that references castboolits with a link.

JackQuest
11-26-2021, 07:49 PM
Great answers all! Mabye a Sticky should be put up so others don't fall into this trap. Using Google helped greatly.

Worked from JonB_In_Glencoe's approach and found what I was looking for.

The Forum members come thru again!

15meter
11-26-2021, 07:50 PM
I have not been able to limit the search string to just what I am looking for, it seems to grab every occurrence of what ever you are searching for.

Search for .40 and it seems to grab things like 400 Whelan, 450/400, 400/350 and any other time 40 appears. It would be nice to limit to the exact search string you entered.

In the old days, depending on the system there were limiters like %.40% would tell the system to only look for what is between the percent signs.

But I started on punch cards.

When we migrated to paper terminals with keyboards we thought we were in high cotton.

Boy are we spoiled.

Joe K
11-26-2021, 09:45 PM
This is a programmable search for this site. Not my creation. Just passing along. Save it to your favorites for when you need a specific search here. https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=001951264366462437169:ggn3vg-bjum

toallmy
11-27-2021, 08:45 AM
When the search box had Google in it it worked very well , then when it had Google enhanced in it well it sorta worked , but now I get discouraged when using it .

square butte
11-27-2021, 09:59 AM
I have not been able to do much with the search function for quite some time now. For me, one of the greatest things about this site was the ability to access years of archived info about a particular topic - or from a certain more knowledgeable poster. It just does not seem to be possible anymore - Or it may be more accurate to say that I don't know how to do it with the current set up. Love to have it back to something more workable . . . .

double00
11-28-2021, 07:03 AM
jonb in Glencoe's trick worked for me. I hate asking questions that been ask before. But i could not get search to work. Thank you for these suggestions.

popper
11-28-2021, 02:34 PM
Moulds in the 180 is gr RNFP (40SW type) seem to be correct type for revolvers.