PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag

Loudenboomer
11-24-2021, 08:49 PM
https://youtu.be/L9U9EmNwXu8

Back in the early 90's I had the opportunity to participate in the Nato Exercise Red Flag as a F-16 Crew Chief. This video brought back lots of memories. If you have the time I think most would enjoy this.

Battis
11-24-2021, 11:53 PM
My son's leaving the AF this month after 8 yrs, two deployments, and going into the Air Guard.

472x1B/A
11-25-2021, 12:05 PM
Interesting video, thank you for posting. Was there '76 - '78, Refueling maintenance, Transportation Squadron. Base activity was very hectic even when I was there at times. Red Flag exercises, back to back, even back then.

Scrounge
11-25-2021, 01:18 PM
Interesting video, thank you for posting. Was there '76 - '78, Refueling maintenance, Transportation Squadron. Base activity was very hectic even when I was there at times. Red Flag exercises, back to back, even back then.

I was there May of 78 until April of 83, as a photographer at the base photo lab. Went out on my first accident in June, by August I was teaching my co-workers how to do aircraft accident photography. I'd been an F-111D crew chief at Cannon until I retrained into still photography, but had gotten some training on all the older jets, F-4's, T-38's, F-105's, Tweets, and such, and remembered enough to be useful in accident investigations. By the time I left in 83, I'd been involved in about 100 aircraft accidents. It was quite a busy place. I learned a lot about the F-16's, and F-15's, and the Navy F-14's, as well. Lt. Cmdr. "Heater" Heatley, who filmed the air-to-air scenes for Top Gun, was there much of the time I was there, too. I met him for business far too often for either of our comforts.

Bill

smoked turkey
11-25-2021, 10:41 PM
Very Inspiring. I was touched by seeing the awesome power of the ordinance and the abilities of the mechanics as well as those who piloted the aircraft. It was definitely worth watching. I would love to see it at the IMAX rather than on this small computer screen!

bedbugbilly
11-26-2021, 11:53 AM
What a great video! Thank you for sharing.

Friends call me Pac
11-29-2021, 07:48 PM
I really miss TAC fighters. Worked with A10, F4, F16 and even the little O2 and OV10 the first 8 years and spent the last 12 with AETC. I never liked AETC. I knew it was important but I never could get behind all of the useless spit and polish along with the mission of flying around the flag pole.

DougGuy
11-30-2021, 08:13 PM
I would love to see it at the IMAX rather than on this small computer screen!

As fate would have it, I JUST opened a new HDMI cable and connected the GeForce GTX970 display card in the computer to the 55" LG tv sitting 4' away when I saw this post. THANKS!!