PDA

View Full Version : Machine casting long rifle boolits

hunter74
11-24-2021, 08:17 AM
Anyone tried this? It's my opinion that long narrow boolits are harder to cast on a machine than fatter and shorter boolits. In other words rifle boolits should be harder to fillout than handgun boolits.

I'm thinking of trying 22s and 30 kal.....

Edit: I'm very interested in experiences with casting rifle boolits on Magma Bullet Masters.

Jhopson
11-24-2021, 12:08 PM
I cast a 215 grain 300 blackout using the magma bullet masters. We had more problems getting the sizing machine setup so the bullet would not get bent than we did with the actual casting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunter74
11-24-2021, 12:14 PM
I cast a 215 grain 300 blackout using the magma bullet masters. We had more problems getting the sizing machine setup so the bullet would not get bent than we did with the actual casting.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDid you use double or single cavity moulds? What was the solution of the sizing problems? Did you coat the boolits?

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

Jhopson
11-24-2021, 02:58 PM
Did you use double or single cavity moulds? What was the solution of the sizing problems? Did you coat the boolits?

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

Double cavity molds. Ended up slowing down the sizing machine and adapting the drop tube section to handle the longer bullets. The plunger has to hit the bullets almost exactly when the bullet is over the sizing die so that there is no side to side movement of the slide bar. Plus I had to have a bullet feeder plate built just for the bullets so that they would go nose down. The reason for the nose down setup is the bullet automatically starts into the sizing die before the plunger begins to push on it. We use Hitek coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk