PDA

View Full Version : Stripper clip tumbler cleaning, brain fart to avoid

lastditch
11-23-2021, 09:43 PM
Figured this would be the best spot to post a not so great idea!
Recently bought a batch of 1903 stripper clips with some tarnish on them. I had my brass tumbler still out from a batch of brass I ran through, so if it clean brass cartridges why not brass stripper clips!
It did clean stripper clips, BUT just like the old days on the beach with the girlfriend sand in every crevice but instead with tumbling media in EVERY crevice in the clips.
My great buy is turning into many hours of work poking out grit with a wire. Hope this post saves some headaches for somebody.
lastditch

tankgunner59
11-23-2021, 09:47 PM
I have stripper clips for my 7.62X39 and 7.62X54R ammo, but I believe they are steel not brass. Either way they don't appear to need cleaning. But thanks for ther heads up.

Stewbaby
11-24-2021, 12:36 AM
I’ve cleaned them in a tumbler using the lizard litter media and then taking an air hose (with proper eye protection) to blow them out.

Winger Ed.
11-24-2021, 02:17 AM
My great buy is turning into many hours of work poking out grit with a wire.

When I fall into one of those time consuming situations-- I look on the bright side.
They do help keep me out of those crooked BINGO parlors.:bigsmyl2:

15meter
11-24-2021, 08:38 AM
Or just toss them back into an EMPTY polisher for a couple of minutes.

Just wear ear plugs if it's a bunch of them.

Most if not all of the offending grit will get knocked loose.

zarrinvz24
11-24-2021, 11:56 AM
For next time, a citric acid/hot water soak for 3 minutes will probably be a better fit for this application.

lastditch
11-24-2021, 06:26 PM
The empty polisher/tumbler sound like it should work, going try that.
Tried air hose got some out but embedded some under tension spring. Thank for the tips.
Ain't going to do that again!

Mk42gunner
11-24-2021, 07:44 PM
Having done the 9mm/.40/.45ACP in the tumbler at the same time drill, I sympathize with you.

My money is on having to take the springs out to get all the media out.

Robert

georgerkahn
11-24-2021, 09:00 PM
Figured this would be the best spot to post a not so great idea!
Recently bought a batch of 1903 stripper clips with some tarnish on them. I had my brass tumbler still out from a batch of brass I ran through, so if it clean brass cartridges why not brass stripper clips!
It did clean stripper clips, BUT just like the old days on the beach with the girlfriend sand in every crevice but instead with tumbling media in EVERY crevice in the clips.
My great buy is turning into many hours of work poking out grit with a wire. Hope this post saves some headaches for somebody.
lastditch

Thanks for headsup re tumbling! I have a few original .30 Remington clips which were pretty crudded, and G96 plus a brass cleaning brush only seemed to clean parts which needed little/no cleaning. Hence I got the bright idea of using my Hornady Ultrasonic cleaner with Lyman Parts (mixed as directed) cleaning solution. The good news is it did in fact work! The "bad part" is that they came out looking very unpleasing to the eye -- and almost instantly began to rust. I liberally then sprayed them with G96 which arrested further rust formation... STUPID Geo actually (covertly) reckoned brass stripper clips were made of brass (oops!) and never gave possible rusting a consideration...
geo

Adam Helmer
11-26-2021, 11:29 AM
lastditch,

In future, please consider Brasso as a possible alternative.

Adam

beemer
12-05-2021, 12:02 PM
A little OT but along the same line. I ran across a box of really crudy 7mm gas checks and decided to clean in a wet pin tumbler. Did you know a stainless pin is a perfect snap fit in a 7mm gas check.

LAGS
12-05-2021, 01:13 PM
A old girlfriend was over one time and saw me tumbling brass casings.
She didn't tell me , but she decided to throw her jewelry in the tumbler to shine it up.
It came out really shiny.
But it polished off ALL the gold plating that was on it.

Lloyd Smale
12-09-2021, 06:34 AM
to me if there serviceable id leave them alone. Just character like the gun that uses them has.

georgerkahn
12-09-2021, 10:52 AM
to me if there serviceable id leave them alone. Just character like the gun that uses them has.

In my case, "serviceability" was the issue. The groove which holds the case rim was filled with "crud" (for lack of a better term) and I used edc pocket knife blade; toothpicks; bamboo skewer sticks; and even an opened paper clip to clean them so cases would slide -- e.g., the stripper would enable stripping ;) -- and then -- due to marginal performance with above tools -- got the ultrasonic cleaner idea. As I wrote, it worked dandily to remove crud; my shortfall was thinking the clips were not made of a ferrous metal which would not be prone to rusting. (I have several stripper clips for both .30-'06 and .30 Remington which are in fact made of brass!)
For display purposes, you are correct to leave them alone and have their agedness complement the rifles they are intended to be used with. BUT -- for actual use -- at least mine needed to be cleaned.
geo