PDA

View Full Version : 50/50 bhn

southpaw
01-14-2009, 09:37 PM
First let me say what a great site this is. I am sure glad that I found it. now my question. I got some solder bars that were marked 50/50 and some that were not. when I cast them into ingots the ones marked 50/50 looked different than the one that were not marked ( they were shiny ). second I bought some ingots that were sold to me as 50/50 and I wanted to make sure that is what I got. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the bhn is for 50/50 ( I have a lee tester). I wish that I would have tested the 50/50 that I had before I used it. oh well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS. be prepared for more questions as I am just getting into rifle casting ( 30cal and 45-70 )

Marlin Junky
01-14-2009, 09:49 PM
The air cooled hardness will vary depending on the casting and ingot pouring temps. I've measured 50/50 (Pb/Sn) at anywhere from 15 to 18... not very scientific, is it? I say, If it's not stamped or "labeled" 50/50 bar solder, assume it's not. A hardness test is a real poor way of trying to determine the composition of your alloy because Sb and As will affect the hardness more drastically with much smaller proportions.

MJ

GrizzLeeBear
01-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Just to be clear "50/50" what? 50/50 solder is 50% tin and 50% lead and will cast shiny like you said because of the high tin content. Were the ingots you bought supposed to be 50/50 solder? Maybe the person you bought them from cast them from something else. One of the common hunting alloys used by many here is 50/50 ww/pure (as in 50% wheel weights and 50% pure lead). Just trying to clarify since you said you are new to casting.

southpaw
01-14-2009, 10:28 PM
MJ- Thanks I really hadnt thought of Sb and As being in the mix. Is there another way that I could easily tell if I am being hustled?

GrizzLeeBear- Yes they are suppose to be solder. they said that they mixed equal parts of tin and pure lead. I am still waiting for them. I ordered them on 1/7/09 so they should be in soon. I just wanted to make sure that they didnt sent me something other than what I ordered.

Thanks for you input

Marlin Junky
01-15-2009, 05:00 AM
Southpaw,

The melt temp of 50/50 solder should be around 425F. Better get yourself a thermometer to go with your hardness tester.

MJ