PDA

View Full Version : 166 grain .358 powder coat fouling.

armednfree
11-21-2021, 02:51 PM
292015 292016

So I have these 166 grain lee .358's cast. They will be powder coated with Eastwood Ford Blue. Run ahead of 15-17 grains of LiL-Gun in my Rossi 92, should I expect powder or jacket ( the coating) fouling?

By the way, that's one pretty bullet.

FLINTNFIRE
11-21-2021, 04:51 PM
If your cure time and temp is right , expect powder fouling .

armednfree
11-21-2021, 05:07 PM
Here's the thing. I read 20 minutes at 400 degree's. Mine run for ten to twelve and they are smoking. And they pass the hammer test.

jcren
11-21-2021, 06:42 PM
Here's the thing. I read 20 minutes at 400 degree's. Mine run for ten to twelve and they are smoking. And they pass the hammer test.
Check your oven temp, most toaster ovens "surge" over temp when cycling. Sometimes as much as 100 degrees. You will not see any lead or pc fouling if the powder is fully cured. Adjust your temp setting with an actual oven thermometer (ie. 375 setting may actually be 400 degrees) and a cast iron or steel plate on the bottom rack will help smooth out the peaks and hold heat.

armednfree
11-22-2021, 09:19 AM
Check your oven temp, most toaster ovens "surge" over temp when cycling. Sometimes as much as 100 degrees. You will not see any lead or pc fouling if the powder is fully cured. Adjust your temp setting with an actual oven thermometer (ie. 375 setting may actually be 400 degrees) and a cast iron or steel plate on the bottom rack will help smooth out the peaks and hold heat.

Well, whatever that is they are working very well. hammer test is good, no fouling in the gun. I figure if it's smoking it has to be hot enough.

charlie b
11-22-2021, 10:03 AM
It does need time to cure. Follow the mfg instructions and check your oven with a thermometer to make sure the setting are correct. Mine is at 400F when the dial says 380F.

Eastwood says 450F until the powder is glossy, then 400F for 20min. Smoke's powders are 400F for 20min.

The powder can be compromised by cooking too hot as well. Some mfgs have time/temp plots.

Yes, you can probably get away with shorter times, higher or lower temps. And one day you might not. :)

mehavey
11-22-2021, 06:13 PM
I figure if it's smoking it has to be hot enough.
Eastwood Ford Blue does not smoke (period).
If it does, you are waaaay over-temp.

Mine run for ten to twelve [minutes...]
Eastwood means it when they say at least 20 minutes @400dgr after powder flows.
You are over-heating and under-timing for proper cure guarantee.
(deceased failure threshhold).

Highly recommend getting thermometer (#1) ($16 - cheap (https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71iIymFSkdS._AC_UL320_.jpg))
Companion suggestion (#2) of letting oven equilibrate before using.

murf205
11-24-2021, 03:48 PM
By all means get a decent thermometer. You will never know the story until you do. My toaster oven was over 400 degrees and when I finally got it to 390-400, the dial said about 360! After you have gone to the trouble to cast your boolits, it is a shame to ruin them because of slumping. I use a short side baking pan lined with non-stick aluminum foil to spread the temp out. As far as powder coat fouling, have shot some pretty fast and never had a bit of fouling but I would imagine the condition of the barrel will let you know. If it is rough enough to cause PC fouling, you can be sure it would probably lead foul as well. PC'em and get to shooting, then let us know how it turned out.