PDA

View Full Version : Pewter find that wasn't

William Yanda
11-18-2021, 08:29 PM
Earlier this week I accompanied the Mrs. to a shot appointment and the hairdresser-both hers. Made a couple of stops pewter hunting along the way. The only score was a bud vase for two bits at Restore. When I weighed it the needle went past 4 oz.
My mistake was leaving it on the table rather than storing it with other like objects in the garage. It now holds 3 flowers and I have lost ownership.
I can't say I wasn't warned. Someone posted here that all his finds are dropped in the drive before they enter the house.

11-18-2021, 08:46 PM
Maybe you could switch out the vases indiana jones style and escape alive with the treasure[emoji39]

The Dar
11-18-2021, 10:32 PM
I'm clumsy, somehow the pewter I buy slips through my fingers and gets "accidentally" stepped on in the parking lot.

Well, now, that's not entirely true...I do have some pieces that I won't melt down until I'm desperate for tin.

imashooter2
11-18-2021, 10:40 PM
It happens. Even with all my bold talk, there is a 5 inch pewter angel sitting on a shelf above the kitchen sink.
At least it was a 4 ounce bud vase and not a 4 pound platter. :drinks:

kevin c
11-19-2021, 01:21 AM
Two bits and the wife is happy? I can live with that.

jsizemore
11-19-2021, 04:18 AM
Does it count for a Christmas or birthday present? If not, it will have a fatal accident while crossing the road.

Winger Ed.
11-19-2021, 02:10 PM
Just look at it as part of your strategic reserve for use in case of an emergency, hidden in plain sight,
and you don't have to take up any valuable shop space to store it.

Traffer
11-19-2021, 02:35 PM
I bought a pewter item yesterday at Goodwill for $2.99. A chalice. It's too nice to melt so now I am building a nice collection of pewter that I will never melt.

super6
11-19-2021, 02:50 PM
why and who could melt a angel. Should be illegal to make things like that when theres a shortage of tin.

imashooter2
11-19-2021, 03:01 PM
why and who could melt a angel. Should be illegal to make things like that when theres a shortage of tin.

I would have that dust catcher in a pot of lead in a heartbeat. But Her Majesty wanted it and love can make a man do foolish things. :-D

bangerjim
11-19-2021, 03:53 PM
Four oz of lousy pewter is NOT worth the "problems" taking it from her would create!

Go find some more.

I just bought a 12 piece set of Americana solid pewter figures (12-15 oz each) for our collection. They will never be melted down. The craftsmanship and workmanship in those "signed by the artist" works of art protect them.....at least in this house.

Averaged a dollar a pound!

banger

banger

imashooter2
11-19-2021, 05:35 PM
The wife’s angel was made by Lenox. Not exactly on par with your pieces, but I’m with you on the sentiment.

bangerjim
11-19-2021, 06:59 PM
The wife’s angel was made by Lenox. Not exactly on par with your pieces, but I’m with you on the sentiment.

If stamped LENOX, it is VERY collectible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lenox stuff, be it either china or pewter is desirably by collectors. Never melt anything down that is stamped "pewter by Lenox"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Markopolo
11-19-2021, 07:04 PM
I want one of them 50 cent Angels for my wife also!!!!

imashooter2
11-19-2021, 09:19 PM
I want one of them 50 cent Angels for my wife also!!!!

Scrounge 6 or 700 pounds and you may well find one! :drinks:

Sasquatch-1
11-20-2021, 08:30 AM
It seems like half the pewter I have acquired has ended up in the china cabinet.

I went to the Harper's Ferry Flee Market (now defunct) and made an offer on some pieces a man had on a table. Next thing I know the man's wife pulled a box from under the table that had more in it, placed the items in the box and said she had been trying to get rid of it all year.

About half of that ended up becoming my wifes.

Cosmic_Charlie
11-20-2021, 03:02 PM
I melted a couple of single candle holders with handles that now I wish I would have saved.

bangerjim
11-20-2021, 04:06 PM
I melted a couple of single candle holders with handles that now I wish I would have saved.

I tell everybody in "the mad rush for pewter" to be careful what you melt down. There is a limited amount of "modern" pewter out there due to the price of Sn and it, just like lino and type metals, is not being produced in vast quantities these days. Pewter today is mainly for high-end artist's work and some service ware.

Melt with care!!!!!!!!!!

I have found pieces that weigh a few pounds each, but are worth many hundreds of dollars in the antique marketplace!

Rooster
11-20-2021, 06:17 PM
I look at it like pizza to the tire techs. It's a good morale (Pavlov) booster too.