Yes, that's normal and will work fine.

buck1
01-09-2006, 12:30 AM
well I sluged the cylinders on my bisley and it =452 and my redhawk and it =452
the barrels were 451 and 451.5 is this normal

I wont say its "normal" but its sure enugh what you want!!! ....Buck

Buckshot
01-09-2006, 12:42 AM
................I suppose you could call it 'Normal', or maybe more correctly it's 'As it should be'. I know Deputy Al had a Ruger with backwards measurements. Another friend had a Ruger BH 45 Colt and the cylinder mouths were .449" with .451" grooves.

In addition, on this or the AIMOO incarnation one of the members had sent a revolter back to Ruger with almost the exact same dimensions. Ruger sent it back stating their famous (or infamous) "It's within specs". If THAT wouldn't make a person want to grab a Ruger executive by the stacking swivel and jap slap'em a few times I don't know what would. Shipping back and forth on that was not cheap.

In this day and age, considering revolvers have been made for what, 150 some years you'd think they'd have a clue about what does and doesn't work, wouldn't ya? Their 'specs' sure need revamping IMHO.

................Buckshot

buck1
01-09-2006, 12:52 AM
"
In this day and age, considering revolvers have been made for what, 150 some years you'd think they'd have a clue about what does and doesn't work, wouldn't ya? Their 'specs' sure need revamping IMHO. "

TRUE TRUE TRUE!.....Buck

9.3X62AL
01-09-2006, 01:48 AM
Bisley 45--

Your throat-to-groove diameter relationship is well-nigh perfect. Size the castings to .452" and you should be good to go in both revolvers. If a .453" sizer die was readily available, I might recommend that--but it really shouldn't matter too much, as long as it meets the throat diameter. The mainstream die makers jump from .452" to .454" (Lyman and RCBS).

Ruger's public attitude is managed to mesh with their production quality limits, I'm sure. Anyone with a few years in this hobby knows very damn well that throats tighter than groove diameters is bulls--t tolerance-keeping, and I'm sure Ruger knows it too. A shame, but a lot of mass market firearms aren't "finished" when sold.

Bisley, you got a GOOD ONE. Your revolver must have been made Tuesday-Thursday.....mine on Monday or Friday, just before a three-day weekend. Given the Paterson Colt was started in 1836, that would be 170 years of wheelguns.