PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 139gr coated bullet loads.

kevin.simpson.94
11-17-2021, 08:30 PM
Hi guys, I'm totally new here and pretty new to reloading in general. I'm trying to load some inexpensive (relatively) plinking loads for my 30-30. I have 139gr coated cast bullets from Acme. I have Bullseye pistol powder and BLC2 that I use for jacketed bullets because it's what I can get right now. I am wondering about using the bullseye powder behind the cast bullets. I found some data online where they where using 5.0 grains of bullseye behind a 170 gr bullet for 990 FPS does something like this sound acceptable to the experts? Does anyone have any experience with something similar or suggestions for loads based on what I have for powder?
Here is the info I found.
http://gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Go easy on me, I'm new lol.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Thumbcocker
11-17-2021, 08:33 PM
Bullseye and plain base boolits in a .30-30 is a recipe for fun. I applaud you for doing some research and not trying to drive a plain base boolit to jacketed speed and whining about poor accuracy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kevin.simpson.94
11-17-2021, 08:37 PM
Bullseye and plain base boolits in a .30-30 is a recipe for fun. I applaud you for doing some research and not trying to drive a plain base boolit to jacketed speed and whining about poor accuracy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TapatalkAny magic loads you can suggest I try? [emoji6]

I've been on various forums pretty much since the beginning of the internet, I try not to be "that guy"

Thumbcocker
11-17-2021, 08:50 PM
I would have to check some manuals. I would stay in the single digits. You will need an "M" die to expand your cases so you don't deform the boolit when seating it. There are other things that can be used but it is hard to beat an M die.

Just to use belt and suspenders I would roll the boolits in thinned liquid lube. A lot of commercial boolits are hard, undersized, and lubed with a poor lube. You might be able to substitute paste wax for the liquid lube if you have some. There is a lot of information on that on this site.

What diameter are your boolits?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Misery-Whip
11-17-2021, 08:57 PM
Welcome to the addiction. I dont have a lot of data for the 30-30.
This is from the Lyman Cast boolit Handbook. If you can find a copy, its a good read and has cast data for a lot of calibers. I know it doesnt list the powder you have, but it helps to know what powders to look out for.

Edit, tried to rotate the pic and failed.

kevin.simpson.94
11-17-2021, 09:04 PM
I would have to check some manuals. I would stay in the single digits. You will need an "M" die to expand your cases so you don't deform the boolit when seating it. There are other things that can be used but it is hard to beat an M die.

Just to use belt and suspenders I would roll the boolits in thinned liquid lube. A lot of commercial boolits are hard, undersized, and lubed with a poor lube. You might be able to substitute paste wax for the liquid lube if you have some. There is a lot of information on that on this site.

What diameter are your boolits?

Sent from my SM-G960U using TapatalkThey are sized to .310 the BN is 16 the alloy is 92-6-2
They are 135gr, not 139gr, had a brain cramp lom.

WinchesterM1
11-17-2021, 11:58 PM
For a 130grn plainbase coated bullet, I’ll tell you this , the LEE 312-95swc I PC and size to .310 over 3.5 grn of bullseye for a lot of quiet fun, with a 170grn NOE NLG FN I use 10 grn of unique for a decent little round, for the 130s I’d use 5-7grn of bullseye and see how you like that, see what will shoot the closest to the sight picture

kevin.simpson.94
11-18-2021, 10:01 AM
For a 130grn plainbase coated bullet, I’ll tell you this , the LEE 312-95swc I PC and size to .310 over 3.5 grn of bullseye for a lot of quiet fun, with a 170grn NOE NLG FN I use 10 grn of unique for a decent little round, for the 130s I’d use 5-7grn of bullseye and see how you like that, see what will shoot the closest to the sight pictureThank you!!! That is the range I was thinking as well. I will give it a try.

quilbilly
11-20-2021, 12:15 AM
I used the Lyman 130 gr tumble lubed plain base boolit in my 30/30 for several years and it shot it very well at velocities about 1250 fps with no leading. With iron sites and my old eyes, it still got 2-1/2" groups at 100 yards when my eyes were fresh in the morning. I got that velocity with several powders including Bullseye, Unique, Red Dot. and 5744. The local coyote population really hated it. A couple years back I acquired the Mihec 130 gr gas check mold and I switched to it because I liked the profile and that you could make either a flat point or two styles of hollow points in the same mold. I am currently shooting the 130 gr. boolits with 8.2 gr of Red Dot givin and MV about 1290 fps. None of the 130's I have shot in the 30/30 seemed to be quite stable at 50 yards at velocities much less than 1050 fps. My rifle is the Mossberg 464. If memory serves, my Bullseye load was just over 6 gr.

kevin.simpson.94
11-20-2021, 12:35 AM
I used the Lyman 130 gr tumble lubed plain base boolit in my 30/30 for several years and it shot it very well at velocities about 1250 fps with no leading. With iron sites and my old eyes, it still got 2-1/2" groups at 100 yards when my eyes were fresh in the morning. I got that velocity with several powders including Bullseye, Unique, Red Dot. and 5744. The local coyote population really hated it. A couple years back I acquired the Mihec 130 gr gas check mold and I switched to it because I liked the profile and that you could make either a flat point or two styles of hollow points in the same mold. I am currently shooting the 130 gr. boolits with 8.2 gr of Red Dot givin and MV about 1290 fps. None of the 130's I have shot in the 30/30 seemed to be quite stable at 50 yards at velocities much less than 1050 fps. My rifle is the Mossberg 464. If memory serves, my Bullseye load was just over 6 gr.Thank you very much!