PDA

View Full Version : Kirk bar ingots, anyone heard of it? And plain Lino Type for boolits.

mikenbarb
01-14-2009, 04:46 PM
I have a buddy that got me some old "KIRK"(Thats all thats embosed on them) lead ingot bars with a #73 hand stamped in the ends and clueless what alloy they could be but im hoping a 50/50. Their 5# each and I know they came from a bullet caster that said their from the 60's sometime but thats all I know. I also got a bunch of Lino Type(Not mono) and wondering if anyone casts it straight or if its too hard and needs to be made into a softer alloy. I would just be using it for targets and not for hunting. Thanks in advance, Mike

3006guns
01-14-2009, 05:27 PM
I just noticed a bar of Kirks on Ebay also....I have a sneaking suspicion that may be a bar of bearing babbit, which may or may not have a high copper or silver content. Not really sure if it is or not, but if so it would be a shame to see it go downrange instead of repairing an old poured bearing. Old engine nuts like myself buy and rathole stuff like that for future projects.

MT Gianni
01-14-2009, 08:11 PM
I'll be glad to use my cabintree on it if you mail me some. Bullets or a small chunk either one.

Mugs
01-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Kirksite is a alloy of aluminum and zinc.
Mugs

mikenbarb
01-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Mugs, This isnt Kirksite, It just has KIRK embosed and a 73 stamped in it and its definatly soft land looks ike lead. Im gonna try out my new hardness tester on it when it comes in to see how hard it is. It also has a casting inclusion the length of the bottom like lead does after it cools.
Gianni, Shoot me your info and how big of a piece you need to test it. Dont know when mine is coming in and I would love to compare notes on the harness. Thanks.