PDA

View Full Version : Charter Arms Bulldog

Battis
11-16-2021, 09:00 PM
A store and hour or so from me lists a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 SP for $249 (plus some ammo included).
That sounds kinda low. From what I've read, there were good years and bad years from Charter Arms. Were the bad years really that bad?

Nueces
11-16-2021, 09:39 PM
I once had a c1980 stainless 3" heavy barrel one, with the old bobbed pocket hammer. It was a fine sleeping bag gun. I've never seen even photos of another. The biggest failing of it was shallow rifling, which made CBs a poor choice. I now have 4 Charters, two in 44 Special and Charter has remedied the shallow rifling problem. They also shrouded the ejector rod and made the grip frame of light alloy, both features I had wanted in 1980. There's no longer a pocket hammer, but my short barrel one has the high frame covering both sides of the hammer, ala the Smith M38, which serves as well. I like the new Charters.

ohen cepel
11-16-2021, 10:02 PM
Sounds like a buy to me! Think I paid $400 for mine not long ago. Early model.

Even if you shoot up the ammo and hate it you can get your money back (and then some), plus got the chance to shoot it some. Seems like a win all around to me.

Catshooter
11-16-2021, 10:22 PM
Yes there are good and bad years. The way to tell is does it say "Charter Arms" on the barrel? If so, you're good. Charco and Charter2000 sucked. Too, you should know that Charter will fix most anything for a flat $49.95 fee. Or so it was a few years back, could have changed.

MOA
11-16-2021, 10:49 PM
THERE YOU GO.

https://i.postimg.cc/kgLwt4PN/20190524-114641.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Bjc2rJ6t)

https://i.postimg.cc/pXXsw4Bj/20190524-114801.jpg (https://postimg.cc/WtCmr9Cp)

https://i.postimg.cc/qRxGYxhQ/20190524-113047.jpg (https://postimg.cc/R6qfJfTn)

https://i.postimg.cc/6q6hN4CK/20190524-112854.jpg (https://postimg.cc/XGh5fJ21)

G W Wade
11-16-2021, 11:41 PM
Interesting guns. I picked up one 30 years ago and have never fired it. Mine is a MagnaPort Backpacker Magna Port bought different pistols and modified them to provide cash flow to the company. Mostly Ruger SBH. The Backpacker was shortened to remove front sight, MagnaPorted,, given an action job, a pair of Pachmeyer grips and their SS Metalloy finish GW

MT Gianni
11-17-2021, 01:19 AM
I owned one and if I saw one for that price I would own another. Your palm is the limiting factor on handloads. I think they were meant to carry a lot and shoot occasionally.

Battis
11-17-2021, 08:10 AM
I have, and load for, a Reichrevolver in .44 Russian, which looks very similar to the .44 SP (bullet size, powder charge, though it looks like the Russian brass is shorter). Are the dies the same or close enough to use?

Just dawned on me that I load the .44 Russian with BP, but the cases look similar to the .44 SP.

winelover
11-17-2021, 08:28 AM
I have converted neck split 44 Special to Russian, as well as 44 Magnum to Special, without issue. I use RCBS 44 Spl/44 Mag dies and Lyman "M" die to flare. The Russian is just a shorter 44 Special, like the 44 Special is a shortened 44 Magnum. Both having significantly less power than the parent case.

I have the same Fit for Duty CA Bulldog as MOA does. If you can get past the errant tool marks, its a serviceable firearm. My main use is a carry piece when I'm bow hunting.

Winelover

ioon44
11-17-2021, 08:47 AM
Mine is stamped Bulldog Pug .44 spl on the left side of the barrel and Charter Arms Shelton CONN on the right side.

I carry it a lot and if you are going to carry one you need to shoot it.

MOA
11-17-2021, 09:10 AM
When I started in retail , the shop I worked at carried the CA bulldog in blue. That was 1981. We sold lots of them for basic home protection. Never had any returned for service or any customer complaints. CA was resurrected a number of years ago and many new models and features are available over what the original company product selection. For the money, and purpose of carry an self defense IMHO it's a good deal. Taurus filled the nitch in its 38 an 357 snub nosed models when CA was out of business for many years, but CA is now eating into Taurus market share in this category.

georgerkahn
11-17-2021, 09:58 AM
A .44 S&W Special Bulldog at $249.00 USD with added ammunition? Sounds almost too good to be true... I'd have spun my tires getting to the shop. I bought one of these about five years back, and mine was stamped "Charter Arms". Quite frankly, it looked a tad "chinsee" to me -- definitely not in the same class as a Python or Anaconda...;)... But, I bought it. I normally do not like to down-load cartridges, but I did find "Skeeter" loads perhaps not much fun to shoot. Hence, I acquired some .44 Russian cases and loaded these (my cast bullets) exclusively for the Bulldog. At ~35 feet target distance I was able to get most all on target -- one hand hold, standing. (I do a tad better ;) with my S&W 41 in .22)
BUT -- for an EDC revolver, in .44 S&W Special, I question if one might "do better" than the Bulldog.
geo

Battis
11-17-2021, 10:28 AM
I called the shop and they told me that the gun is worn and it looks old, but it's functional. They're going to hold it until I get there today. Sounds interesting.

Soundguy
11-17-2021, 11:08 AM
I have a target bulldog in 44spl. I love it. it's a light gun.. so full 44 spec with heavy bullets kick a bit.. but.. heck.. it's a 44.. it's supposed to bark a little...

Cosmic_Charlie
11-17-2021, 12:38 PM
The famous Son of Sam revolver. Also used on Larry Flint I think who took a wheel full in the chest. Not too many D/A choices out there now in .44 spl.

georgerkahn
11-17-2021, 12:56 PM
I called the shop and they told me that the gun is worn and it looks old, but it's functional. They're going to hold it until I get there today. Sounds interesting.

GREAT move! It can't hurt to look... and, as stated (100% purely subjective -- some like blondes, other brunettes, etc. ;)) to *me* the Bulldogs were made for function over form. None, again imho, would win a beauty contest. But, albeit I use 'Russian cases/loading -- mine keeps functioning famously! Good luck!
geo

MOA
11-17-2021, 02:03 PM
�� When the bad boy is coming at you while out having dinner in the parking lot, or breaking into the kitchen from the back door, I doubt anyone is thinking about the miniscule tool marks on this or any other personal defence weapon. 357mag is great for through an through in a crowd..not what you want. Unless you want to buy special ammo to negate this characteristic. Which is expensive these days for practice. The 44 special is big, medium velocity, not a through and through caliber along with SWC boolits, and the perfect caliber to offer castable and effective defensive ammunition that one can practice their shooting skills without breaking the bank or depleting one's reloading supplies either. 44 special for closeup work much more effective than 38 special or 380 acp while still housed in a small package that most any woman or man can use without having to rack a round into battery.

Tokarev
11-17-2021, 02:25 PM
Owned a Charter Arms revolver once, sold it, not going back.
It was a 22LR and keyholed with any ammo except for CCI Stinker that I could not afford.

Battis
11-17-2021, 02:33 PM
"Worn and old but still functions" they told me on the phone. Sounds like me.
Anyways, 40 minute ride each way and now it's home.
It's stainless that's been brushed, cleaned, or whatever. One of the prongs on the extractor is broken but the cases still eject. Numrich is out of them but I'm sure I can find one.
The rifling looks good. The action is very smooth.
It came with 15 reloads and another five or so pieces of brass. I'll tear the reloads apart and start over.
It's surprisingly light. Nice big grips.
Probably won't win Best In Show but what the heck.

MOA
11-17-2021, 02:58 PM
It's stainless that's been brushed, cleaned, or whatever. One of the prongs on the extractor is broken but the cases still eject. Numrich is out of them but I'm sure I can find one.
It came with 15 reloads and another five or so pieces of brass. I'll tear the reloads apart and start over.

I think you'll like it. My SWC mold is a standard Lyman 240 grain Keith design I use for my 44 mag also. Granted my alloy mixture on the 44 mag application is a bit harder alloy, it's the same mold. Work your way up in power, but attempt to get to factory velocity specs or where your comfortable with 25 yard and 10 yard shooting. Also keep in mind and also practice at 6 to 10 feet, where most shootouts occur.

nhithaca
11-17-2021, 03:04 PM
Are you sure that it is SS? Looks like a blued gun with the bluing removed. But I'm sure it will shoot fine. Try and stay on the lighter side for the reloads unless you like pain.
Gun predates the current company located in Shelton (original company located in Stratford from 1962 until 1991). Must be at least 30 years old.

Texas by God
11-17-2021, 03:08 PM
It looks "Tuff Enuff"( apologies to the Fabulous Thunderbirds) to work, although I would tighten that ejector rod end- I don't think that the coil spring is supposed to show......
My brother had an early blued model and it was an excellent carry gun around the farm. And in town - but that was a jail-able offense even in Texas back then. The goober sold it or traded it before I could talk him out of it. We would shoot the snot out of it with 6grs of Unique and commercial 240gr swc cast and it was a decent shooter.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Battis
11-17-2021, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I'm going to take it down, fix that spring, see what's what inside. I also thought it had been blued at one point but the store said it was stainless, and it does look stainless that's been scrubbed or brushed or abused somehow.
There's an old dog in the shop that wanders around, a Boston Terrier, which is part English BULLDOG. Anyways, I bent down to pat the little bugger and she snapped at my hand. Hope that's not a sign...

Electrod47
11-17-2021, 03:42 PM
I own 3 Charter Arm Bulldogs. 2ea 3" and a 1 1/2" Boomer w/magnaport. All .44spl My favorite load is a 200 grain DEWC from Matt's Bullets with enough Bullseye to give me 800fps. Shoots double action smooth and easy. I also have a .38spl Undercover since 1972 as a Concealed Carry before there was Concealed Carry. I own a lot of what some might call quality arms. But, the Bulldogs have always been my guilty pleasure. Their light, handy and on my hip here on the Ponderosa daily. Your gun looks a little rough, But Buddy I would have fell over myself to close that deal.

Battis
11-17-2021, 03:46 PM
It does look rough, but then again, it's not a Charter Arms Poodle.
I called Charter Arms to ask about that extractor. They might, or might not, have one from another model that fits. I could send it back to them...naw. Nice people.
I like the Louis L'Amour quote.

Battis
11-17-2021, 04:39 PM
The spring was an easy fix. Now I wonder if it had been a blue gun? Inside the trigger guard is blue. How can you tell for sure? If it had been blued, I could reblue it and make it look a little better.

Well, it's very magnetic and it took PermaBlue nicely.
I called Charter Arms again and gave them the serial number. It was made either in 1978 or 1980, in blue.

pietro
11-17-2021, 05:15 PM

The current CA customer service will fix you up, aiming at a repair turnaround of unser 20 days - per the current CA prexy, Nick Eger (during a converstaion with him when calling CA on a Saturday AM about a repair status on a new Pathfinder.

I've had zero issues with my Bull Dog

https://i.imgur.com/xnfx58Ul.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NPNVxc2l.jpg

MOA
11-17-2021, 05:40 PM
The spring was an easy fix. Now I wonder if it had been a blue gun? Inside the trigger guard is blue. How can you tell for sure? If it had been blued, I could reblue it and make it look a little better.

Well, it's very magnetic and it took PermaBlue nicely.
I called Charter Arms again and gave them the serial number. It was made either in 1978 or 1980, in blue.

Yes, it looks like the model I was selling in 1981. They were all blued. I don't believe they were offered in stainless at that time. At least we never carried any in stainless an many of our models we carried were both blued and stainless if available.

georgerkahn
11-17-2021, 09:28 PM

Again, my most sincere congrats! From the photos, it almost is prettier than mine -- also a stainless model. You will like the grips when shooting is my wager! I have medium-large size hands, and mine also has a rubber grip on it; but, smaller than yours. I have taken a piece of leather which I have on the starboard side of the grip which enables much better "natural" grip and control. If there is a brand name on your grips -- I may have interest in looking into a set. Oh -- fyi, mine has a 2.5" barrel, and a serial number of s/n 14-49xxx -- perhaps yours and mine are in fact similar!
BEST wishes!

A good "PS" is from reading another thread on this wonderful forum I learned a real neat trick you may wish to try? Just put some plain-Jane Flitz polish on a patch and gently rub, rub, rub. I acquired a well-used S&W Model 64 -- and less than 1/2hour time plus 1/2 small tube of Flitz... did miracles to its looks. Allllmost like new ;)

geo

markX
11-17-2021, 09:34 PM
Nice pickup!

Battis
11-17-2021, 09:40 PM
Actually, it was a blued gun that had been stripped, scrubbed and brushed. NHITHACA called that right a few posts back. I'll reblue it (or try).

lee n. field
11-17-2021, 10:31 PM
A store and hour or so from me lists a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 SP for $249 (plus some ammo included).
That sounds kinda low. From what I've read, there were good years and bad years from Charter Arms. Were the bad years really that bad?

Used, I assume. I paid that for a 2010 vintage DAO Bulldog, last year.

Bad years. Internet hearsay (YMMV) is, avoid the Charco years. See the second post here (https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479522&highlight=charter+bulldog+bridgeport).

Transfer bar on Charters is prone to breaking.

lee n. field
11-17-2021, 10:38 PM

You can probably get the part from Charter, but if it were me I'd send it in to Charter.

BTW, something's wrong with the ejector rod. The spring loaded collar should be snapped into a recess in the frame, not up against the knurled end of the ejector rod.

4.6 grains Bullseye, 200 grain wadcutter (https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=339&zenid=vpj5kt78vvpf5gaj5e65bg3e42), works for me.

pettypace
11-17-2021, 10:47 PM

All the better. Then a little work with a hacksaw and file and some silver solder won't be so painful. That will make your Bulldog about the same size and weight (empty) as a (steel) J-frame Smith.

Loaded with a 200 grain wadcutter to about 700 f/s, the 2" Bulldog should have about the same wound mass and 50% more penetration than the classic "FBI Load" from a 4" barrel.

Battis
11-18-2021, 12:20 AM
I fixed the spring on the rod (it had been assembled incorrectly). I called Charter Arms about the ejector - I'd have to send the gun to them to see if they might have one that fits. Not worth it.
I have a S&W .38 Airweight. Nice gun.

MostlyLeverGuns
11-18-2021, 12:59 PM
The current Charter Arms will work on the early ones for a fee (maybe $49.95). Their current production is under extended warranty (life?) I've got a very old one and a recent one, had the .44 Target and sorry I traded it. Recoil is significant with PMC 240 gr factory SWC, 200 gr Cowboy is better, but lighter 180-200 grain is better. My sights do shoot point of impact at 25 yards with the 240's. I've carries them quite a bit, excellent snake gun, a lot more shot than the .38/.357's.

nhithaca
11-18-2021, 01:49 PM
I agree with MostlyLeverGuns; the factory 240 grain loadings for the 44 Special are a little much for sustained shooting with the 2" Bulldogs. I bought 44 Russian cases from Starline and load 180 and 200 grain bullets at about 700 fps. Plenty of punch at 0-21 feet for anything you may run into. Remember, the Brits were using 38 S&W revolvers during WWII loaded with 180-200 grain bullets traveling at about 650-700 fps. A 44 will just hit that much harder with the greater diameter.

Battis
11-18-2021, 02:12 PM
In the Reichrevolver .44 Russian I load .429” 244 gr cast bullets with approx 17 gr FFFG Goex. Using smokeless instead of BP changes everything. I'll get lighter bullets for the .44 SP, or maybe use the .44 Russian cases with smokeless as a ".44 SP short.

bpimwheel
11-18-2021, 05:40 PM
A pair of 44 Special Charter Arms Bulldogs.
Each in a Bucheimer Federalist holster.
One left hand, one right hand.

All stainless steel, 5 shot, pocket hammer, pachmayr grips.
Made when CA was in Stratford, CT
Top one made in 1981 (first year of stainless) Mag-na-ported
Bottom one made in 1982
Both barrels cut to about 2 inches and front sight silver soldered back on.

For those that are interested, here is the history of the four companies that were Charter Arms and timelines for their revolvers.
https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/CAR/car.html

Both are excellent shooters although with 240gr over 6.2 Unique they can be a handfull but manageable.

smkummer
11-18-2021, 07:58 PM
Could you just send the cylinder to charter for repair? Save a bunch on shipping. Anyway, back in the 70’s, I had a 3” nickel charter bulldog. I only shot it a few times. Like stated here, concealed carry didn’t really exist back then. I was more into precision shooting back then. Wrote to charter about a target sight and they suggested I purchase the then new target bulldog with a. 4” barrel and adjustable sights. So I traded the gun and then missed it when CC carry became an option. Just about 3 years ago, I bought that well worn target bulldog for maybe $250 and love it. It’s stuffed with the skeeter load for business use and resides concealed in my truck. If needed, hopefully the perp looking at those big bullets stops his aggression without a shot being fired!

Battis
11-18-2021, 09:46 PM
The only problem is that broken prong on the extractor/ejector. It still works. Charter Arms told me on the phone that I should look in pawn shops, yard sales, and online for the part. So, it's not worth sending it to them if they don't know if they have a part that will work. Eventually, I'll find one.

Skipper
11-18-2021, 10:26 PM
Battis, check with these guys. They might have it

https://everygunpart.com/contact-us

Or Bob's gun parts at

gunparts@hsnp.com

Battis
11-18-2021, 11:18 PM
I can never open the link to Bob's.

nicholst55
11-19-2021, 12:55 AM

That's an email address.

Battis
11-19-2021, 05:47 AM
I meant to say I can't get to their site at www.gun-parts.com. I get a "THREAT PREVENTED" message.
"TotalAV Blocked this website due to it being categorised as ‘Malware’
It is strongly advised that you do not visit this website as it may contain infected executable files which could harm your device."

Tokarev
11-19-2021, 09:10 AM
Opens fine here. It uses a free SSL cert by Let's Encrypt. If your AV is dated, then it may throw false positives on such sites.
But the site does look odd. It says that it is supposed to have a menu but there is none.
Anyway, this is the contact info from the site:

Bob's Gun Shop Inc. Po Box 200 Royal AR 71968
Please fax, e-mail, or click on " Place Order " at the top of every page to safely order on line
Fax orders or questions at 501-767-2750
If you e-mail your questions or orders please give Bob time to reply
If you fax please include your return fax number

Because of high order and e-mail volume we can no longer answer the phone calls
gunparts@hsnp.com

Battis
11-19-2021, 09:18 AM
I'll email them. Thanks.

FergusonTO35
11-19-2021, 04:22 PM
I've had a pile of Charters, and they were all as good as anything else in their price range (Taurus, Rossi, entry level S&W's). Biggest thing I don't like is that there isn't much at all out there as far as grips, at least if you want something that is more than wood panels and still concealable. My 70's Undercover wears an old factory rubber grip that has been cut down some to be pocket size. Not pretty but it works. The front sight came off mine and I sent it back to Charter. They told me that they do work on the older guns as long as they have the right parts, however the one piece barrel and front sight for this particular model was no longer available. I had a gunsmith make me a new front sight and silver solder it on.

ddixie884
11-19-2021, 07:20 PM
I have had at least one .44 Bulldog in my stuff for a long time. You could do worse.......

Battis
11-22-2021, 01:23 PM
The gun came with 15 reloads. I pulled a few to see what they were loaded with and found that all had consistent loads, with 240 gr bullets. I loaded up a bunch with 200 gr bullets and went to the range. The 240 gr rounds were manageable, but not target rounds. The 200 gr rounds were slightly easier, but again, not target rounds. Another shooter there said, "If you need more than five rounds from that gun you're in big trouble."
The gun definitely reminds me of the S&W .38+P that I carry.
Bulldog is a good name.
Now that I fired it, and I know it works as it should, I can reblue it.

tward
11-23-2021, 03:27 AM
Battis, I bought a used Bulldog and it was a little buggeredup. I tried a few fixes and finally sent it to Charter Arms. It came back in about 2 weeks all fixed with a nice note that they didn’t like the grips so they replaced them and returned the others. I think they have very good customer service so it might be worth trying to send it back. Just my 2 cents, Tim

Battis
11-23-2021, 07:15 AM
I'd send it back but there's nothing wrong with it other than a broken extractor prong. It still works as is. I'll reblue it myself.

georgerkahn
11-23-2021, 08:49 AM

I have placed/received *many* orders from Bob's Gun shop, with nary a problem, ever! Kind of a strange to me set-up which does in fact parallel no other vendor site I've ever experienced, but I have placed the orders and received the goods. I also have gotten 'malware' and 'unsecure' warnings -- so, to get around this (???) I use my iPad rather than the Windows computer when ordering. "Apple" sees no problems? Anyhoos -- while I do not recommend anyone -- I will unequivocally state that I've had nothing but MANY good experiences dealing with Bob's. (I understand the years/health issues have slowed him down ;), and "Mrs. Bob" is doing most all -- at least that's what I was told vis my last order, but a couple of months back.)

Battis
11-23-2021, 09:15 AM
I still can't open their site but I did email them. Now I wait.

Forrest r
11-24-2021, 07:02 AM
I've owned/carried a lot of different bulldogs over the decades. They're not made nor designed for heavy use only heavy hitting.

A older model special order hook front sighted bulldog (top) I bought cheap at a gunshow and sold a couple years later.
https://i.imgur.com/a8skiqL.jpg

I prefer the sloped front sight models to the taller "hook" front sights, been carrying this bulldog off and on for years.
https://i.imgur.com/UmdYHdc.jpg

These test loads where shot in the sloped front sighted bulldog pictured above.
https://i.imgur.com/fo57jjU.jpg

As with any snubnosed revolver bullet weight & velocity play huge roles in the poa/poi and what your sight picture will be. With those hot +/- 200gr bullet/loads pictured above I have to use a combat hold/cover what I want to hit with the front sight with the sloped sighted bulldog @ 25ft to have the poa/poi be the same.

When using standard pressure/slower velocity loads I use a 6 o-clock hold with the same sloped front sighted bulldog. Was playing around at the range sighting in reddots on a 25m sport pistol and a ruger MK IV so I decided to load up some test loads for the bulldog using power pistol/standard pressure loads (15,500psi). I shot the right targets using those loads @ 25ft double action 5 shots +/- 30 seconds. The black circle is 3" & I used a 6 o-clock hold aiming at the bottom of the 1" inner white circle.
https://i.imgur.com/ld6RTZd.jpg

These are the 2 bullets I used for that pp/25ft test. Interesting that the little 200gr type III wc had more velocity then the keith 245gr swc hp. Both are cast out of 8/9bhn alloy and sized to .430" & both used the same 8.0gr pp load.
https://i.imgur.com/wf9hieh.jpg

Good luck with your newly acquired bulldog.

Battis
11-24-2021, 04:58 PM
Question about the Bulldog:
I stripped it all down and gave it a good cleaning. But I'm not sure if it's missing a part.
On the schematic, part #13 is listed as CYLINDER LATCH COVER PLATE.
There isn't one on my gun. Either it never had one (made in 1978) or it's missing.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/charter-arms/revolvers-charms/bulldog

Catshooter
11-24-2021, 11:44 PM
Yes yours had one when new. I bought my first Bulldog in '74, and if I recall correctly it had one.

Battis
11-24-2021, 11:56 PM
Numrich has them. I think the cylinder release will work better with it. Thanks.

Dragonscout
12-04-2021, 02:55 PM
Always wanted a Bulldog. Was looking at a Tiger .44 when I recently spotted the Bulldog on GB that a bunch of folks were watching. Saw the "buy it now" tag and clicked to see it was only $300 since no one had started bidding yet. I couldn't believe that an as new looking bulldog made a couple of years ago wouldn't be snapped right up, so I hit the button. As soon as I got her in she looked as good in my hand as in the photos! I stopped off the other day and put a couple of cylinders of 200 grn RNFP and she grouped fine. I'll hopefully get to go out and shoot some SIG defensive loads shortly, and get my Lyman Turret out. I stopped and got a couple a boxes of 200 grn GA Arms pills and some Clays powder to go with the pristine 4 die Lee carbide set I found at a hock shop for $25. So the year's ending great for me. I'm liking what I'm getting from the Brotherhood here and hope to add to the mix later on...Happy Holidays folks!

BucketBack
12-07-2021, 08:36 PM
My Bulldog goes bang and I haven't shot it much since new.

Jim22
12-08-2021, 08:23 PM
Battis, You are my hero. Wife and I walk dogs every morning and we encounter game predators occasionally. I have been carrying a Ruger SP101 in .357. It has a 3" barrel. I have been thinking for some time that I'd be happier with a .44 Special like yours.

I got my tinnitus in the sixties with a .357 magnum Blackhawk so I am a little worried about shooting a .357 revolver without hearing protection. I don't know but maybe a .44 boolit at 700-800 fps would be better than a factory .357. Anyone got an opinion?

Interestingly, this morning while walking dogs in day old snow I discovered footprints about 4-5" in diameter. Have not seen this before. They looked like either an 80 lb. cougar or an 80 lb dog. I have seen one wolf about that size here. We have two small wolf packs to the east of us a couple miles and one to the west maybe 3-4 miles away. We have a lot of deer in the area. The wolf sighting was 8-10 years ago. I really think there are more cats preying on the deer than wolves or dogs. People on the golf course regularly report seeing cougars - less than half a mile away.

Still, I'd like to find a deal like that on a .44 special.

Jim

charlie b
12-08-2021, 09:43 PM
Back years ago father-in-law and I wanted to see what the guns would feel like at night without hearing protection. 1911's were loud and a big flash (.45acp, 230gn ball). Eyes adjusted shortly. The .357 (4" Colt, 125jhp) hurt the ears and we were basically flash blinded for at least a minute.

SteveM54
12-09-2021, 05:25 AM
Wow "MOA", those pics rock. Makes me want to go find one of dem :holysheep

Battis
12-09-2021, 08:28 PM
I got the CYLINDER LATCH COVER PLATE from Numrich and installed it. The release is definitely smoother. The part was inexpensive - less than the shipping. But, what the heck. I'm still looking for a replacement extractor/ejector - mine has a broken tooth - but it works fine.
I stripped the gun, cleaned it, buffed out most of the scratches, then cold blued it. Not bad for an amateur job.
I just stopped at a store and they had two boxes of .44 SP factory ammo (Winchester) for $50 each. I was tempted but I have brass and bullets, so why spend the moola.