PDA

View Full Version : How do make an alloy

catkiller45
11-15-2021, 08:10 PM
Ok. I have a ton of hard cast bullets that I believe are too damn hard. They shoot all over the place. I got some pure lead today from a friend of mine . My question is suppose I melt a lb of lead and add a few of those bullets to recast into a softer alloy. I was told a lb of lead to a lb of those bullets. Any thoughts on this..thanks

JM7.7x58
11-15-2021, 09:00 PM
Many of the Commercial Casters use a "HardCast" alloy that is 92-6-2 (A.K.A. Taracorp Magnum Alloy) for their handgun bullets. I'd mix that alloy two parts pure to one part "hard cast", and then add some pewter to get the tin back up to 2%.

Winger Ed.
11-15-2021, 09:29 PM
I'd get a little more scientific if you're going to cast rifle boolits, they may even be just fine for them as hard cast.
If you are casting pistols, I'd add just enough to make the fill out work well, 3 maybe even 4 to one.

11-15-2021, 10:58 PM
Recasting the metal in your own molds may be the improvement needed to shoot straight. What cartridges do you have in mind?

Land Owner
11-16-2021, 08:30 AM
Boolit "fit" through your barrel is as important as alloy softness, boolit weight, boolit shape, barrel twist, lube selection, powder charge, case prep, care in shooting, etc. Slug your barrel. Take micrometer readings of the slug. Write those measurements down so you don't have to remember. Form (size) boolits between 0.001" and 0.002" over barrel diameter. Read. Read. And Read through the alloy improvement and boolit fit threads on Castboolits. Somewhere in the plethora of information, including the recommendations above, is a solution that will improve your casting and shooting.

fredj338
11-17-2021, 02:16 PM
Depends on how hard the bullets are but I would start at 1-1, see how they shoot. If the bullets were cast of lino, then 3-1 lead/bullets or even 4-1 may be fine depending on what vel/pressures you are running.

kevin c
11-19-2021, 03:47 PM
If you can hardness test the metals you’re going to mix, this simple calculator may help:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?409910-Simple-hardness-calculator