PDA

View Full Version : Lube around beveled bases.

hithard
01-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Problem is that when I size/lube I am getting lube on the bottom of the boolit due to the beveled base. How do I fix this- or is it something that I just have to live with?

Thanks for the help.

Greg

Boerrancher
01-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Try adjusting the depth the boolit goes into the sizing die, not as deep or a bit deeper, go both ways and see if this helps, if not, buy a mould that is not beveled on the bottom. You will most likely end up buying the mould anyway as bb boolits just don't shoot as well as a plain based boolit.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch.

Joe

Shiloh
01-14-2009, 04:06 PM
I put a .38 cal gas check on top of the ram for the lubrisizer. That way the bevel base of .38 wad-cutter and SWC fit int it and are shielded from getting lube on the bevel base.

A cheap alternative to having someone machine the bevel base off of the mold. I've had that done also.

Shiloh

mtgrs737
01-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Put a disc of foam cut from a meat packaging tray form the market in the die. The disc will seal off the bevel base edge and reduce or eliminate the lube transfer to the bevel. The downside is the discs don't last forever but they are cheap, use a deprimed cartridge case as a punch to make them and a toothpick to remove them from the punch.

beagle
01-14-2009, 06:07 PM
The foam disk helps some and I have a .358 die that I took the center punch out of and counterbored the top portion slightly and that works pretty well.

IMO, the BB designs are best left alone for optimum accuracy but I'm not telling you what to shoot, only my opinion./beagle

monadnock#5
01-14-2009, 08:14 PM
The styrofoam disc works well, and so does pan lubing. Once the pan lube is solidified, I put the tray into the freezer for an hour or so. After I've taken them out of the freezer, I let them set for a few minutes until the "sweat" evaporates, and pop them out of the sheet of lube.