PDA

View Full Version : Need Master Caster Heating Element

TrashCan
11-14-2021, 11:44 AM
My heating element failed after half a dozen sessions and maybe 8 hours of run time but is outside of the generous 90 day Magma warranty.

Any suggestions on a replacement source and from my experience and reading here any improvements to the design to prevent failures?

hunter74
11-14-2021, 02:21 PM
Have you contacted Magma? They are very reasonable to talk to, and in my expirence they take care of their customers.

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

SODAPOPMG
11-14-2021, 08:53 PM
I looked into one that someone on this site listed when mine went out
But it is a custom build and the price was over $300.00 ended up buying a replacement from Magma

TrashCan
11-15-2021, 09:28 AM
I looked into one that someone on this site listed when mine went out
But it is a custom build and the price was over $300.00 ended up buying a replacement from Magma

I was afraid of that,,,Magma wont have any till next year and I was trying to find one that was more durable. Mine failed in short order and found many others who have had failures too...thought maybe a more reliable alternative was found.

Plate plinker
11-15-2021, 09:41 AM
I think it would be possible to bend your own as a measure to get by until a OEM is available.
New elements can be bent I believe but after some use they get brittle.

Actually not sure what element they use but you may be able to use a band style heating element. These are many of those on flea bay. Just fine the right one and your in business.

Good luck.

Mozz
11-18-2021, 05:53 AM
Many years ago (on internet), I had the larger machine with four molds, the element went on that, being in the UK i had real issues sourcing an element. In the end i had one made up that i retro fitted through the pot. The element was straight bar type, i had to drill through the pot and fitted with a grommet - no leaks or issues once it was fitted, also from memory I thought it was much quicker to heat up.

fc60
11-18-2021, 02:14 PM
Greetings,

I looked at the parts diagram and it appears to be a "band heating element".

Here is a link to McMaster Carr for one that fits a 5" diameter pot.

https://www.mcmaster.com/heaters/heater-type~band/for-barrel-od~5/

They have lots of other to choose from.

Also, are there any manufacturer id's and model numbers on the original heating element?

Magma buys off the shelf elements.

Cheers,

Dave

TrashCan
11-20-2021, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the responses, I have been working on this also and have learned the Mica Band heaters just will not be as durable or long lasting. The recommended more durable version is a Mineral Insulated constructed model and in the process in ordering one of those.
Has anyone changed their Mica band to an MI by chance. I think the MI is what Magma is changing to also but not available till next year.

jsizemore
11-25-2021, 11:54 AM
You might try;

ppe.com around page 1021 and then the second pdf page after that should take care of a pot of your dimension. There is also an 800 number so you can actually talk to someone to discuss options and availability.

Good Luck

Earl Brasse
09-30-2022, 03:38 PM
Just to add an update.
I spoke with Magma today 9/30/22 & they still do not have any heating elements.
They are not taking orders for machines.
Large & small machines all use the same heating element.

blackriver
09-30-2022, 09:54 PM
I have gotten them from Grainger in the past.

ReloaderFred
10-01-2022, 12:10 AM
A lot of what Magma buys is from Grainger. The trick is to know which things they buy from them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

HvyJet
12-01-2022, 09:29 PM
test