PDA

View Full Version : polyurethane finish stripper?

fourarmed
01-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Getting ready to take off a poly finish on a stock, and I am out of stripper. What is a good stripper for this stuff?

MtGun44
01-15-2009, 01:14 AM
Not sure, but my observation has been that as the paints and varnishes
have been getting better and tougher, the paint strippers have been getting
wimpier (safer chemicals) so you might be getting into a difficult spot here.

I have never tried to remove one of those plastic looking super tough
finishes - so pass back a report on what you find out.

Good luck.

Bill

PatMarlin
01-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Dad's "Easy Spray" varnish and paint remover at Walmart.

Works like gangbusters and is easy to use.

Spray or wipe it on, let it set a few minutes then card or wipe the finish off.

Reddot
01-16-2009, 01:00 AM
Jasco makes a stripper that you can get at Home Depot. The commercial fishermen use it to take the paint off the hulls of their boats.

jrgift
01-16-2009, 07:17 PM
I just used 80 grit paper,worked for me.

Ricochet
01-16-2009, 07:21 PM
I had to strip the butt of a Mossberg 500 recently. Stryp-Eeze didn't touch it. I ended up just sanding it.

nekshot
01-16-2009, 08:55 PM
I use any of the good gasket cleaners from the local napa store. tape off any plactic spacers you want to save and spray a good coat on. Ten minutes or so the finish usually blisters loose. I then take a piece of glass and scrape the crap off. I wash out the checkering with tooth brush and alcohol. Give it a day or so to dry and you can start sanding. I am sure there are better ways to do it but this works for me.

Ben
01-16-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm a professional gun stock finisher / refinisher. This is my standby stripper, believe me, I've tried it all ! !

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=72&prodid=112

If you'd like to see some of my work, go here :

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Gunstock%20Finishing%20Photos/

quack1
01-16-2009, 10:57 PM
There is a difference between a poly finish and an epoxy finish when stripping. The old Remington "bowling pin" finish was a thick poly. Any good industrial/marine stripper will take it off. Zip- Strip Marine is the best I have found, and I have tried every stripper I can find in my area. But, it won't remove epoxy. For epoxy finishes, the best I found is Certistrip from Brownells. It has become expensive to buy and ship, but it works. Any more, when I get an epoxy finish to remove, I scrape most of it off then sand off what's left.

Gunfixer
01-17-2009, 12:10 PM
I use the same stuff Ben uses, but sometimes even that wont get it started. Got a sand blaster? set psi to 25-30 ( adjust as necessary) and use play sand(sifted to remove rocks) works every time. once you get it started the strippers can get under the finish and work.
My .02