PDA

View Full Version : partial original 1858 Remington

Battis
11-12-2021, 10:20 PM
I found a partially original 1858 Remington .44 for sale in s small shop. Here's the story - someone took an original 1858 Remington and tried to convert it to cartridge. The original percussion cylinder with nipples is gone, replaced by a cartridge cylinder of unknown origin (it fits). The cylinder pin has been altered and cut so it's no longer removeable. The hammer was replaced with an unknown altered hammer. The internals seem to have been altered or maybe some are missing - the gun does not function and I didn't get to take it apart. The frame is in good shape with a visible barrel address.
I can get the gun for around $225.
Now, I have an original Remington .44 New Model (1858) that came with a spare repro cylinder (maybe Pietta) that actually fits and works. There are parts available online - cylinder pin, hammer, internals, and even cylinders. The grips are original. I have a few mainsprings that should work. But, will the repro parts fit?
I wish I could see what's inside but I doubt the shop would allow that.
It's tempting as a project gun, either to finish the conversion or revert it back to percussion.
Thoughts?

Scrounge
11-13-2021, 01:52 PM
I found a partially original 1858 Remington .44 for sale in s small shop. Here's the story - someone took an original 1858 Remington and tried to convert it to cartridge. The original percussion cylinder with nipples is gone, replaced by a cartridge cylinder of unknown origin (it fits). The cylinder pin has been altered and cut so it's no longer removeable. The hammer was replaced with an unknown altered hammer. The internals seem to have been altered or maybe some are missing - the gun does not function and I didn't get to take it apart. The frame is in good shape with a visible barrel address.
I can get the gun for around $225.
Now, I have an original Remington .44 New Model (1858) that came with a spare repro cylinder (maybe Pietta) that actually fits and works. There are parts available online - cylinder pin, hammer, internals, and even cylinders. The grips are original. I have a few mainsprings that should work. But, will the repro parts fit?
I wish I could see what's inside but I doubt the shop would allow that.
It's tempting as a project gun, either to finish the conversion or revert it back to percussion.
Thoughts?

Do you have time and money to do it? Do you have the tools and inclination to do it? If not, can you get them? ;)

If it were me, I'd probably go for it, if I had the money. Which I don't. But I would be terribly tempted.

Bill

Winger Ed.
11-13-2021, 02:02 PM
At that price, I'd get it just to hang on the wall for now, and tinker with it at leisure.

Battis
11-13-2021, 02:27 PM
I like project guns. Tools? I'm a homeowner - Sawzall, sledgehammer, pump jacks...
Parts are available and they'll probably need fitting.
I check the obituaries to see how many seats I've moved up in God's Waiting Room. As of now, I have the time.
I just called the shop and they still have it and are willing to deal - it's a consignment gun.

ShooterAZ
11-13-2021, 03:14 PM
I'd love to see some pics if and when you do pick it up. I lean towards restoring it to restoring it back to percussion. Sounds like a really fun project for sure.

bedbugbilly
11-14-2021, 12:15 PM
If it were me . . . I would probably buy just for a fun project. But . . you are buying a pig in a poke.

First of all . is the work that was done on this revolver "original"? In other words, was it done post Civil Wr when they were being converted . . or was it done by some bubba trying to convert and original in the 20th century? I would be checking to see just what the cylinder is that is in it - the caliber - and taking a good look at the work done on it as well as the internals - but maybe the gunship won't allow it? If it is actually a period conversion . . or attempted one done by a period gunsmith . . . then I would question doing anything to it to ruin the historical or possible collector value of it.

If it is something that was a bubba attempt and it looks like a good project gun - then I'd also consider just how many dollars it will take . . . because in the end . . . you might end up with an original fram and barrel 0 possible grips if they are original - but a gun with a lot of reproduction/custom made parts and as far as value . . . it's nothing more than a marriage of parts.

Or . . . as suggested . . . . at the price, it could be a good wall hanger for conversation.

Battis
11-14-2021, 06:05 PM
I've been thinking along the same lines. I don't think it's an old time conversion attempt, but a Bubba Job. If I could take it apart to see what's what, maybe, but I don't see that happening. I thought that the cylinder might have been a percussion cut-down but I don't think it is. What it is, I have no idea. Buying repro parts for an original can be tricky, and expensive, depending on what's needed.
Bottom line - even if I get it back to cap and ball shooting, it won't be an original and won't be worth much. That obsession phase has passed.

Tracy
11-17-2021, 11:26 AM
If you decide not to buy it, someone on the forum may be interested. Me for example. In fact, if you wanted to buy it just for the conversion cylinder, I might be interested in buying the original frame and other parts from you.
Just throwing that out there for consideration.

Battis
11-21-2021, 12:00 AM
I have no idea where the cylinder came from or what it is.
Here's the name of the shop (you can call and see if they'd ship it, but I kinda doubt it).

Costa Arms Guns & Ammo
15 Church St, Kingston, NH 03848
(603) 642-8677
Mon: 12:00 – 5:30 PM
Tue: 10:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Wed: 10:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Thu: 10:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Fri: 10:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Sat: 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Sun: Closed

smithnframe
11-21-2021, 07:40 AM
Without seeing it I wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot pole!

Battis
11-21-2021, 08:14 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't advise buying it and having it shipped. If the cylinder was a conversion from "back in the day," it might be worth buying but there's no way of telling where it came from or when. True, the frame is original, the grips are original (they need some attention), but you'd have to buy a hammer, cylinder (I'm pretty sure a Pietta would fit), cylinder pin, and who knows about the internals. And, actually, I never looked closely at the bore. Good barrel address, though.
I was tempted, alot, but I have no regrets walking away.