PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm done

Thumbcocker
11-12-2021, 05:02 PM
Went out this morning to set up for turkey hunting in the ground blind. I put out Gladys and Jezzebell (the turkey decoys).

At daylight the turkeys roosting in the white oak started discussing where they were going to spend the day. I got on the box call and suggested they come over by the blind. They decided to go south of me.

Looking across the property line I saw brown and movement. Figured it was a buck working a scrape so I hit the can call a few times. Nothing.

About 10 minutes later I saw a doe walking the fence line. She stopped well over on the neighbors land. Then a second larger "doe" came in and looked at Gladys and Jezzebell. I marked the place where I knew for a fact it would be on our side of the line. The "doe" fixated on the decoys.

The "doe" crossed my imaginary line and I shot. 30 yard half circle and dropped in sight. Love it when that happens.

Instead of a doe and a fawn it was a button buck and a smaller fawn. I was able to get "Trigger" the 4 wheeler right to the deer. I think we are set for venison for the year. I may still go after a turkey.

Here is a picture of the decoys and the blind.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211112/7a460df4bee7c95648de3de8b26b6bab.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211112/b38b6bc16f06782c545d66d0c033ea23.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OldBearHair
11-12-2021, 05:19 PM
Yum Yum nice and tender. Hey Mr. Thumbcocker How about some details on that new crossbow. Like how fast and such. Then weight of arrow/ broadhead.

Thumbcocker
11-12-2021, 05:38 PM
The crossbow is a Ravin R10. The 10 is because it is 10" wide. That is a huge advantage shooting around a tree.

It shoots 400 fps and the 20 and 30 yard circles in the scope literally touch each other. The scope goes to 100 yards. I have not shot it past 50 at targets but it is dead on.

Ravin demands that you use their arrows. The arrows lock on the string. Tip: get the lighted knocks. The arrows are spendy and you don't want to lose them.

It cocks with a crank that stows on the bow. Big feature is you can let the bow down without shooting it. The crank mechanism has a dog that keeps it from slipping but you can hold the dog down and cock or uncock silently.

Broadhead is exodus 100 grain fixed. I cannot reccomend them highly enough. I shot them on my old crossbow and my compound bow. They just work. Not the biggest cutting diameter but they fly true and penetrate like no tomorrow.

For where I hunt the crossbow gives up nothing to a gun. Mrs. Thumbcocker has the same setup and is proficient with it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dverna
11-12-2021, 09:02 PM
I shot my buddies Ravin. It is an amazing weapon and not cheap. Remarkably accurate.

marshall623
11-12-2021, 09:56 PM
Good shooting , I glad you had a good season

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Cosmic_Charlie
11-13-2021, 11:27 AM
I shot my buddies Ravin. It is an amazing weapon and not cheap. Remarkably accurate.

I drive right by the Ravin factory all the time. They do not give those things away though.