PDA

View Full Version : Finally saw the new Bronco in person.

Idaho45guy
11-12-2021, 12:16 AM
I stopped by the local Ford dealer after hours to see if they had any fleet F250s on the lot. Nope. Cheapest one was $60k and had a gas engine. Had a $5000 "Pacific Northwest Market adjustment" listed on the window sticker.

Then, I spied a brand new Bronco parked out back. I did a thorough walk-around. It was a Big Bend model, which is one up from the base model, out of six trim levels. Base price is supposedly $34k for a Big Bend.

But the sticker showed that after the factory options were added, it was $51,000. But wait, there's more...

Another side sticker added another $10k for "upfit accesories" Spelled wrong, of course. And the aforementioned $5000 market adjustment, for a grand total of $66,955. The only accessories I could see was the $800 winch on the front. No idea where the other $9,000 was.

I was not impressed with the quality I saw. The door handles were cheap feeling plastic, as was the antennae, the fender flares, and all the rest of the plastic parts, which were substantial.

I pulled on the door handle to see if it was locked and I could see the door sheet metal flexing. Not a good sign.

Completely underwhelmed from a quality standpoint. It's neat looking, but not $70k neat.

Winger Ed.
11-12-2021, 01:08 AM
That market adjustment is telling you they're ripping the buyer off and gouging since there is a short supply right now.

The other 'upfit' money is probably for those wheels & tires.

For a fleet F250, you'll have to dig out the fleet salesman from some back office, or a little shack out back.
The salesmen in the showroom won't sell you one.
If they can't sell you a fancy city truck, they'll let you walk out.

When I got mine in Dallas, they didn't have any on the lot either, but they drove one up from Houston the next day.

rockshooter
11-12-2021, 01:32 AM
I looked at one recently also and decided against it. The 2-door short version was supposed to compete with the jeep wrangler but it's almost as wide as my F-150. It will do fine in town but in the mts I don't think so. Somebody needs to come out with a small 4x4 that has better quality than a wrangler. I had mine 9 years and was always fixing something
Loren

rancher1913
11-12-2021, 06:19 AM
found the same problem with the new rangers, they were as big as the 150's. I want a smaller truck for errands

sharps4590
11-12-2021, 06:57 AM
There's a few around locally. Had one tail gating me the other day when I was in my Morris Minor. Kind of an ugly thing too, ain't they.

Finster101
11-12-2021, 07:01 AM
There's a few around locally. Had one tail gating me the other day when I was in my Morris Minor. Kind of an ugly thing too, ain't they.

Looks like they tied to copy Range Rover on the front end.

jdfoxinc
11-12-2021, 10:20 AM
J just
E empty
E very
P ocket

starnbar
11-12-2021, 10:33 AM
I cannot justify the insane prices on any of these new trucks the sales people act like its no big deal hey this is more than I paid for my first house.

panhed65
11-12-2021, 11:45 AM
I had looked at them also, and not impressed. one of the old 1988 bronco II's was one of my favorite vehicles. only issue I had in many years was rust, including replacement of the fuel tank. always worked, and pretty well too. rarely needed to use the 4wd in the snow. if someone would not have ran into it, would probably still be using it.
Barry

11-12-2021, 11:57 AM
A buddy bought one of the first level Bronco's and it took one trip to our cabin to trash it. Rough road, but still a road, tore out the cardboard skid plate and exposed the undercarriage to several threats. Over $1000 damage. Back to the dealer and after months of bitter threats, they bought it back and he bought a simple fleet pick-up. The bean counters ruined another good product. Build a good reputation and then wring out every penny of value from it, leaving a shoddy piece of junk in it's place.

MUSTANG
11-12-2021, 11:59 AM
Reminds me of the era from the end of the Carter Administration and the "Rebirth" of Chrysler by Lee Iacocca with the "K-Car". Window stickers had numerous PRICE UPLIFT STICKERS on them back then too.

As indicated in another thread of a member paying off their house and being "Debt Free" - The car, Jeep, and F350 parked out front are older - but paid off and get me where I need to go; including 1300 Mile trips to and from Southern Nevada a few times a year. For me; I'll leave that $70K for a new vehicle in the bank earning .05% interest (or better invested elsewhere) instead of buying a new vehicle.

Personally; I think in 24 to 30 months there will be a plethora of used "Green Cars" on the market at deep discount - think the cycle of the Chevy Volt for many of the same reasons. - might pick one up then as a commuter to town and back (Plugged into House AC to recharge for those shorter trips)

MaryB
11-12-2021, 02:32 PM
I would NOT buy a Chevy Volt... they are going up in flames...been a couple recalls for it, only real fix is a new battery, the cells they used are cheap junk

Winger Ed.
11-12-2021, 03:23 PM
the sales people act like its no big deal .

It's easy to be flippant and generous with someone else's money.
Their own----- not so much.

Idaho45guy
11-12-2021, 05:11 PM
Looks like they tied to copy Range Rover on the front end.

They actually copied the original Bronco...

Perhaps you are thinking of the new Bronco Sport, which is an entirely different vehicle...

Baltimoreed
11-12-2021, 05:19 PM
Looked at a 2 dr and 4 dr last week. 2 door looked ok. Salesman said that they were taking orders and those 2 were just for demo and test driving but couldn’t be sold for 6 months. Asked if I was interested which I wasn’t, still running my 2013 Edge. Having no car payments is good.

Cosmic_Charlie
11-13-2021, 09:59 AM
I have seen some out and about. I think I would buy an older restored Pu truck, something I could work on instead.

obssd1958
11-13-2021, 12:02 PM
The wife wants one of the new Kia Carnivals. I stopped by the dealership, and although they don't have any (they only had @ 30 cars total, on the lot!), they are taking orders and adding anywhere from $2500 to $5000 to the MSRP. The sales lady told me that she just bought a new Kia, and the dealership gave her $3000 more for her 18 month old used car, than she paid for it last year.
It's a crazy market!!
As to the new Bronco - it just doesn't trip the same "I want it!" as the originals, for me.

Petander
11-13-2021, 12:14 PM
I had an -84 Bronco for a few years in the late 90:s.

One of those cars I regret selling. It still has the same reg plate and is in normal traffic use.

JimB..
11-13-2021, 12:22 PM
I’d buy a Honda Ridgeline before I’d buy that Bronco Sport.
I won’t buy a Honda Ridgeline.

Parson
11-13-2021, 12:48 PM
I’d buy a Honda Ridgeline before I’d buy that Bronco Sport.
I won’t buy a Honda Ridgeline.

I’m on my second Ridgeline, Iv had worse, for a midsize all wheel drive it’s ok

JimB..
11-13-2021, 03:09 PM
I’m on my second Ridgeline, Iv had worse, for a midsize all wheel drive it’s ok

I gotta think that they are as reliable as every other Honda, just more of a city/grocery vehicle than a pickup. I’d love to find a moderately sized truck w/4wd, even the small F150 or Tacoma are fluffed up in size these days.

Bigslug
11-13-2021, 03:31 PM
I once had a similarly-dimensioned vintage Land Cruiser, and friends have assorted Jeeps. While the short wheelbases are great for getting places that the wise would probably say you shouldn't go, they don't do a very good job of carrying the things you want to have when you get there. The full-size pickups that do unfortunately tend to contact the ground far too often. The old Blazer and maybe the new Tahoe could be the answer, though I'm uncertain about them being excessively wide.

So probably a 4-Runner if I did anything like that at all. Probably about the best compromise.

Finster101
11-13-2021, 03:36 PM
I would NOT buy a Chevy Volt... they are going up in flames...been a couple recalls for it, only real fix is a new battery, the cells they used are cheap junk

I think you might be thinking of the Chevy Bolt. It is all electric. The Volt is a hybrid. I have been a GM tech since 2005 and HV certified since 2008. I have seen few Volt batteries replaced, sometimes just one cell. Battery replacement will begin to be more common in the Volt though as most are old enough to be reaching the end of their service life. They do have a 10 year warranty on the high voltage system components.

MaryB
11-13-2021, 03:38 PM
I gotta think that they are as reliable as every other Honda, just more of a city/grocery vehicle than a pickup. I’d love to find a moderately sized truck w/4wd, even the small F150 or Tacoma are fluffed up in size these days.

What I call a city homeowner handyman truck. Can haul branches to your city collection site, pickup materials for small repair jobs etc. I want to test drive the new Ford Maverick pickup, based on the Ford Escape chassis and I own a 2017 Escape and am happy with performance and capability so far. It has forded the creek after going down the rutted out muddy road to get to a fishing spot so the 4WD is capable of minor off road use. Has basically the same ground clearance (within 1/4 inch) of what my F150 had.

MaryB
11-13-2021, 03:41 PM
I think you might be thinking of the Chevy Bolt. It is all electric. The Volt is a hybrid. I have been a GM tech since 2005 and HV certified since 2008. I have seen few Volt batteries replaced, sometimes just one cell. Battery replacement will begin to be more common in the Volt though as most are old enough to be reaching the end of their service life. They do have a 10 year warranty on the high voltage system components.

oops yup! Bolt's are bursting into flames, has started some house fires, burned other cars in parking lots... total meltdown of the battery packs.

Moleman-
11-13-2021, 03:47 PM
I miss my older bronco's and have been waiting for the new ones to come out ever since they stopped back in 96. Having looked at the new ones and what they're selling for, I'd get a restored 78-96 before buying one of the new grocery getters.

Idaho45guy
11-13-2021, 04:42 PM
Having looked at the new ones and what they're selling for, I'd get a restored 78-96 before buying one of the new grocery getters.

The new Bronco is surprisingly capable off-road and performs better than the old full-size Bronco due to increased articulation and traction, as well as superior approach and departure angles.

Gator 45/70
11-13-2021, 09:10 PM
How many ways can a dealer rip you off?
Nitrogen in the tires?
Delivery fee?
Dealer prep?
Life insurance in case you die,The car gets paid off?
Extended warranty?

Moleman-
11-13-2021, 11:39 PM
The new Bronco is surprisingly capable off-road and performs better than the old full-size Bronco due to increased articulation and traction, as well as superior approach and departure angles.

I've seen the reviews, looked at them in person and would rather buy another older one.

Idaho45guy
11-14-2021, 12:54 AM
I've seen the reviews, looked at them in person and would rather buy another older one.

Those wheels look fine... [smilie=1:

I agree that a full-size '96 Bronco with the 351W would be a great vehicle and much more reliable than the new junk. But from the videos I've seen of the new stock Broncos with the Sasquatch package, they are very capable off-road.

Buckshot
11-14-2021, 02:15 AM
............In 2019 the wife and I bought a new Ford Ranger, and traded in a Ford Sport Trac, which I DEARLY loved. Probably one of the best vehicles I'd ever owned. I had 160K miles on it, and did have to have the trans gone through but other then that, no prob. Being 68 years old it's a bit off putting to realize they're now building cars/trucks that the manufacturer "Doesn't really want you to work on". But first up and foremost, I am VERY impressed by the Ranger. It's one up from a baseline stripper.

My biggest peeve is the idea of a capless fuel filler. You get a plastic funnel deal for administering additives, which I do at every fill up. I REALLY wish Ford had that stuck up their ...................er, where the sun don't shine. What a pain in the tookus. Other then that and a couple little other minor irritations (Auto Engine Kill at a stop) which I worked around, it's actually a nice ride. Very quiet, very responsive, comfortable seats, nice sound system, etc.

Without further complaining it's just gonna be what it is. Nowadays you pop the hood and the engine is covered in various LAYERS of crap you have to remove to get at consumables, like hoses and belts etc. So right now I like it and no issues/problems. We'll see. Could be those old cast iron motored 'Barn Pickups' could very well be worth their weight in gold.

...........Buckshot

obssd1958
11-14-2021, 03:20 AM

I had a 1956 Ford Pickup whose front end looked just like that -
At 15 years old, I used to come hauling around the corner onto the street we lived on, going way too fast, and then pop it into first gear and drop the clutch to execute a sliding, chirping stop at the curb right in front of my house!
...until one evening when that maneuver initiated the tie rod to turn into a u-shape, and I ended up on the front lawn - inches from the porch!!!
My Dad wasn't impressed........

Idaho45guy
11-14-2021, 04:47 AM

I had a 1956 Ford Pickup whose front end looked just like that -
At 15 years old, I used to come hauling around the corner onto the street we lived on, going way too fast, and then pop it into first gear and drop the clutch to execute a sliding, chirping stop at the curb right in front of my house!
...until one evening when that maneuver initiated the tie rod to turn into a u-shape, and I ended up on the front lawn - inches from the porch!!!
My Dad wasn't impressed........

I have similar stories involving a 1961 Ford Ranchwagon...

Lloyd Smale
11-14-2021, 05:05 AM
............In 2019 the wife and I bought a new Ford Ranger, and traded in a Ford Sport Trac, which I DEARLY loved. Probably one of the best vehicles I'd ever owned. I had 160K miles on it, and did have to have the trans gone through but other then that, no prob. Being 68 years old it's a bit off putting to realize they're now building cars/trucks that the manufacturer "Doesn't really want you to work on". But first up and foremost, I am VERY impressed by the Ranger. It's one up from a baseline stripper.

My biggest peeve is the idea of a capless fuel filler. You get a plastic funnel deal for administering additives, which I do at every fill up. I REALLY wish Ford had that stuck up their ...................er, where the sun don't shine. What a pain in the tookus. Other then that and a couple little other minor irritations (Auto Engine Kill at a stop) which I worked around, it's actually a nice ride. Very quiet, very responsive, comfortable seats, nice sound system, etc.

Without further complaining it's just gonna be what it is. Nowadays you pop the hood and the engine is covered in various LAYERS of crap you have to remove to get at consumables, like hoses and belts etc. So right now I like it and no issues/problems. We'll see. Could be those old cast iron motored 'Barn Pickups' could very well be worth their weight in gold.

...........Buckshot

my last two trucks a silverado and the ram i have now both have those capless gas fills. I kind of like them. But then i dont do additives.

Shopdog
11-14-2021, 06:53 AM
Wifeypoo was mildly interested in the new Bronco but sticker shock,zapped her back into reality. Without too much effort,sorta chose a used Mazda CX-5 for her to check out.

I'd done enough research that I felt a used version would make her a decent ride? So we're going out on a rare date a month ago and on a big new car dealership,there sits an '18. Didn't want black but said,let's at least go look at it.... sure says she.

Pull in,look at the sticker on the window. 66k on mileage, $25k on the price. That's what it sold for in '18?

She/we "were" looking for a 3rd vehicle. You know,old folks.... only drive it once in awhile. Go visit Gbabies and excursion driving. Looks like that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. I offered to "build" her one but she said no. Just wanted a nice little,new Bronco. Ain't paying that kind of money though.

pmer
11-14-2021, 08:58 AM
I just sold a 2014 Mitsubishi Lancer to a dealer. It was a base model I bought for 7,700 3 years ago and the dealer bought it for 7,200. They didn't even lift the hood and I didn't have to mess with selling it privately.

$66K for a new Bronco? That's close to a fully restored '70s Bronco. I wonder which one would be better for off road?

MaryB
11-14-2021, 05:13 PM
Already seeing aftermarket suspension upgrades for the new Bronco's. Some more robust front end parts would make it pretty good offroad but the axles may be a weak point...

jmorris
11-14-2021, 05:24 PM
My wife ordered one before she ordered my new truck. Truck took 3 months to get here not sure when the bronco will be here.

Personally, they remind me of the Bronco II.

She had told me she might sell it, at the time they were going for $20k over sticker.

Handloader109
11-14-2021, 08:53 PM
Wifeypoo was mildly interested in the new Bronco but sticker shock,zapped her back into reality. Without too much effort,sorta chose a used Mazda CX-5 for her to check out.

I'd done enough research that I felt a used version would make her a decent ride? So we're going out on a rare date a month ago and on a big new car dealership,there sits an '18. Didn't want black but said,let's at least go look at it.... sure says she.

Pull in,look at the sticker on the window. 66k on mileage, $25k on the price. That's what it sold for in '18?

She/we "were" looking for a 3rd vehicle. You know,old folks.... only drive it once in awhile. Go visit Gbabies and excursion driving. Looks like that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. I offered to "build" her one but she said no. Just wanted a nice little,new Bronco. Ain't paying that kind of money though.I bought a 2016 a year ago. Searched for a good while, found one with just under 30k miles on it. Still almost new. $22k. I've gone about 15k miles and I do like it. drives well, 29mpg most of the time. Just 2wd, not the fake awd which really isnt all wheel drive. Rear gets about 20% of the power, max

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Froogal
11-15-2021, 10:35 AM
If you cannot place a 4'x8' sheet of plywood into the bed, it AIN'T a truck.