PDA

View Full Version : Spritzer type cast bullets and accuracy

RyanJames170
11-11-2021, 09:14 AM
Would a spritzer type cast bullet be happier and more accurate being at a higher velocity then a lower velocity?

Ie would a person want to drive them faster then a RN or FP bullet?

Maven
11-11-2021, 09:55 AM
Veral Smith/LBT offers (or used to) moulds that were essentially spitzer types. I had 2 and both shot (shoot) well at mid-range CB velocities. However, we once ran a Group Buy of a .30cal. spitzer design that was a copy of a Speer bullet, but it required a hefty dose of a slower burning propellant (IMR 4350) to improve accuracy.

Larry Gibson
11-11-2021, 10:09 AM
Veral Smith/LBT offers (or used to) moulds that were essentially spitzer types. I had 2 and both shot (shoot) well at mid-range CB velocities. However, we once ran a Group Buy of a .30cal. spitzer design that was a copy of a Speer bullet, but it required a hefty dose of a slower burning propellant (IMR 4350) to improve accuracy.

No.

There are other factors involved with traditional lubed GC'd cast bullets; % of bearing length of the bullet, barrel twist, size of the lube grooves, etc. Most 'spitzer type cast bullets such as the 311329, 311413, etc. do not do well at higher velocity. Some bullets with pointed but short noses do well at HV. The NOE 310-165-FN 30 XCB was specifically designed for HV and it excells there. The 30 XCB is also very, very accurate at low and "standard" cast bullet velocities.

With traditional lubed cast bullets the rate of twist and velocity which produce RPM are the most limiting factors to obtaining accuracy at higher velocity.

MostlyLeverGuns
11-11-2021, 11:10 AM
The most significant benefit of a spitzer (pointy) bullet is that the ballistic coefficient SHOULD be better than a comparable flat or round point. This has significant benefit with windy conditions at longer range. Under 100-150 yards, little benefit is gained. A pointy bullet is only beneficial (reduced wind drift, better trajectory) if the bullet design allows accuracy at the desired velocity and range.

charlie b
11-11-2021, 09:17 PM
At the other end of the spectrum, the pointy bullets do not have to be driven fast for good accuracy either. I've used them for plinkers and they do just fine.

Forrest r
11-12-2021, 07:22 AM
A lot of differences in the bbl's/twists/throats/alloys/etc making a blanket statement hard. Then you get into just how pointy is actually pointy???

I can say that I never had any luck in 4/5 different rifles using the squib bullet (311414) when velocities started going over 1600fps with alloys ranging from range scrap to pure lino-type.

The octave of the bullet design plays a huge role also. As posted above the xcb bullet is an excellent design for high velocity with it's shorter nose/lower octave. The lee 160gr tl bullet is another design that holds it's own at higher velocities. Like the xcb bullet, the lee bullet has a short nose/low octave & is not pointed. It has a extremely small flat nose like the xcb. I shoot the lee tl 160gr bullet using tradition lube and pc'd.
https://i.imgur.com/I2jt2AW.jpg

Testing in a 308w:
Accuracy means different things to different people, at lower velocities I consider +/- 1 moa @ 100yds an accurate load. A 10-shot group @ 100yds using that lee bullet pictured above (1 moa).
https://i.imgur.com/PWiZFog.jpg

Increase the velocity and the groups open up to +/- 2" groups, 10-shot groups @100yds with that lee 160gr tl bullet. The 2679fps load is 1 1/2" & retesting resulted in 1 1/2" to 2" 10-shot groups.
https://i.imgur.com/tEeK5wb.jpg?1

The only reason I'm posting about the lee 160gr tl bullet is I'm using it as a base line for the comparison of other bullets.

I have a cramer #43 mold that is a 2-cavity mold that casts a sp bullet and a hp bullet (same design). The mold casts a 186gr sp bullet and a 180 hp bullet.
https://i.imgur.com/yl6sLkT.jpg?1

I always did head to head testing with the sp VS hp using the same test load powder/brass/primer/etc, shot the same day. Didn't matter what powder or the amount of powder I used. When I started getting the velocities above 2400fps the sp bullet's groups opened up compared to the hp bullet's groups.
https://i.imgur.com/uLdIPcZ.jpg

That cramer bullet has a short low octave nose, but it's also pointed. That pointed nose is what's causing the groups to open up when pushed hard.

Hanzy4200
11-12-2021, 09:21 AM
Who's serving spritzers?

blackthorn
11-12-2021, 02:06 PM
Forrest r----Could you please define "octave" for me? The term "octave" in relation to bullets of any kind is new to me. Thanks.

RyanJames170
11-12-2021, 02:14 PM
I will see about posting a picture of the bullet in question with some dimensions and weight? I was asking as I have gotten no leading with poor accuracy. Bullet is .001” over bore grove.

Forrest r
11-12-2021, 02:50 PM
Forrest r----Could you please define "octave" for me? The term "octave" in relation to bullets of any kind is new to me. Thanks.

You got me:drinks: should of been ogive.

MostlyLeverGuns
11-13-2021, 12:52 PM
Cutting the sharp nose off of a bullet does not necessarily make the bullet more accurate. Many other factors come into play, a longer bullet requires a faster twist, the 'center of balance/gravity' can affect bullet stability. Maybe the sharp point was at the edge of stabilzation, when shorten it was more stable. Some folks believe more weight to the base makes bullets more stable and like hollowpoints for accuracy. A proper spitzer, over long ranges and in the wind will usually provide much better results than the flatpoints. Under 200 yards, little is gained and for cast boolits used for hunting, broad flat points work better at those shorter ranges(200 and under). Please don't tell me about all those bison.

blackthorn
11-13-2021, 01:28 PM
You got me:drinks: should of been ogive.

That had occurred to me but I am always looking to learn. Thanks.