PDA

View Full Version : Material to Beagle a Mold to get another .0015

Wm Cook
11-09-2021, 04:36 PM
I’m working with a bore rider in a bolt action and I need a .001 - .0015” larger nose than the .3000 coming out of my Lyman 311299. My rifle bore is .3012. Large but it’ll be fine with a nose diameter that will fit the bore.

What would you use to get .001 to .002 more nose diameter? What material and what adhesive would you use.

Heavy aluminum foil from the store comes in at .0008 or .0009. It would take a couple of those, then there's the build up of the double face tape to deal with. I've never tried glue. Linotype would give me .0005 (using Lyman #2) but that's not enough.

I did try the self-adhesive 3M 2113N4 flue tape and it works terrific but it takes the nose to .303 and that’s a non-starter. As is honing out a two cavity mold that has to produce bullets suitable for competition. Tom at Accurate is always there and that going to happen, but in the couple months it takes to get the mold I though I could give beagling one more try and still get some shooting in this year. Just thought I would ask. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill.

291466 291467

charlie b
11-09-2021, 06:09 PM
I was going to suggest lap the mold, but, with iron that would take quite a while.

Wm Cook
11-09-2021, 07:36 PM
Thanks Charlie. You always pitch in. Two pieces of the store bought foil comes up to .0018 which is about right. But I’m not sure how to glue them on.

If I take the glue off the 3M self stick glue tape and it .0020. Again I don’t know what glue to make it stick on.

BK7saum
11-09-2021, 07:42 PM
i wish my .30 cal molds dropped .002 below bore diameter. After powdercoating they would fit perfect. my problem is they fit fine as cast but i powdercoat and now they don't.

Wm Cook
11-09-2021, 08:10 PM
There’s not a lot of wiggle room with bore riders.

beagle
11-09-2021, 11:07 PM
By adding tape to one side or the other or nose or body, you can usually get what dimensions you want.
PM me your snail mail address and I'll shoot you a piece of the original "beagle tape"./beagle

Wm Cook
11-09-2021, 11:24 PM
Thanks! Bill

MT Gianni
11-10-2021, 12:34 PM
I have never had to wait over a week for one of Toms molds.

gwpercle
11-10-2021, 02:46 PM
i wish my .30 cal molds dropped .002 below bore diameter. After powdercoating they would fit perfect. my problem is they fit fine as cast but i powdercoat and now they don't.

And I thought Powder Coating solved all your cast boolit problems ... evidently not !
You can just lube them and pretend they are clear coated !
Gary

centershot
11-10-2021, 04:39 PM
If your boolits are beagled a thou' or two oversize you can always size them to whatever you need with a NOE nose-sizing die.

Wm Cook
11-10-2021, 09:35 PM
Just catching up.

You can just lube them and pretend they are clear coated ! LOL!

If your boolits are beagled a thou' or two oversize you can always size them to whatever you need with a NOE nose-sizing die The idea sounds great but Al's site calls it a band aid treatment at best. At least that what I read. However Beagling is just a band aid as well. Does anyone have any first hand experience sizing the nose on a bore rider?

I have never had to wait over a week for one of Toms molds.
You're probably right. I just took the estimated lead time from the front of his web site. Gotta get my rear in gear.

Things are progressing. I have tape coming from Mr B (thank you for that and I need to do something to repay you), and a friend is mentoring me on the side. For those that are trying to tweak the nose dimension for a bore rider I can tell you that the heavy duty store bought foil that I have is about .0008 and doubling that up would give you .0017 or so. Removing the self adhesive glue from the flue tape I indicated in the original post gives me a piece of foil that's .002 to start with. With the original adhesive that comes with the 3M flue tape the nose gains about .003, but the adhesive is thick and after compression and heat the glue bleeds out a little. Maybe wiping down the outsides of the foil with a carb cleaner or something like that will clean up the goo.

If my life stays on track I'll have some results back by tomorrow night. The mold is curing as we speak with the .002 foil adhered to it. Once I get the material from Mr B I'll repeat the process. Bill.

Kraschenbirn
11-11-2021, 11:17 AM
I size the nose of ALL my bore-riders after PC using an NOE sizing tool. Yes, it adds another step to the process but cast in my Krag carbine and Garand will match (or better!) ball ammo and my Savage M10 prints near-MOA at 200 yds.

I don't look upon nose-sizing as a 'band-aid' if a mold casts correct dimensions before coating. Done correctly it provides the snug slip-fit necessary for proper bore alignment.

Bill

mehavey
11-11-2021, 11:41 AM
I've always been a bit confused by "Beagling"
Doesn't it produce a non-uniform/egg-shaped bullet?

MT Gianni
11-11-2021, 03:28 PM
For the amount that it is enlarged the cohesive nature of lead seems to keep it round. What I have done and sized remains accurate to 100 yards.

centershot
11-11-2021, 07:06 PM
Just catching up.

LOL!

The idea sounds great but Al's site calls it a band aid treatment at best. At least that what I read. However Beagling is just a band aid as well. Does anyone have any first hand experience sizing the nose on a bore rider?

Yes, I used the NOE sizer on the Lee 312-185 to reduce the nose diameter by 0.002" to better fit my '06. Worked out OK, but a proper mould is the way to go.

Wm Cook
11-11-2021, 09:10 PM
I don't look upon nose-sizing as a 'band-aid' if a mold casts correct dimensions before coating. Done correctly it provides the snug slip-fit necessary for proper bore alignment.

Sorry if I offended you Bill. I was just going off of the NOE's website.

Today the .002 foil gave me a bullet that ran .301 - .302 nose. Yes it was not perfectly round but I think alloy is somewhat forgiving when it gets kicked in the rear by 30,000# of pressure. And for me the benefits outweigh the concern I have about bullet nose to bore fit.

These two were shot today. The one on the left is with a .301 - .302 nose. It shows 6 clean lands clearly. The one on the right had a .300 nose and only showed a land or two. My guess it the .300 bore was showing tipping going down the barrel. Bill.