PDA

View Full Version : GC Bullet without gas check?

Spokerider
01-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Wondering.........

Can a gas check bullet be shot with out the check, allbeit, at a lesser velocity for plinking without loss of accuracy? It would appear to be no different than bevel-base bullet, right?

I'm thinking a GC .461 350 gr. bullet for the Marlin GG pushed with the GC fast for hunting and slower / without the GC for plinking. Will it work?
Thanks.

carpetman
01-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Spokerider---Yes you can shoot bullets designed for gas check without the check. I do it all time with my .22 58 grain mold and have done it in .38 special/.357 mag. I did not decrease the velocity and have had no problems without the check.

grumble
01-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Spokerider, give the checkless boolits a try, by all means. But, most of us have found that there's a considerable loss of accuracy without the gas checks, so be ready for that event. It may be that using a filler will also help you use the boolits without checks. The one way to find out is to experiment!

bobthenailer
01-09-2006, 08:12 PM
hi a few months ago i tried it in my marlin 357 mag and the gun shot so well i dont use gc for that load any more for my marlin , 4.5 tight group with the lee custom 180 grgc fn at about 1050 fps .

Jeffreytooker
01-09-2006, 08:49 PM
4.5 tight group with the lee custom 180 grgc fn at about 1050 fps .[/QUOTE]

IIRC plane base shooters get to about 1400 fps. So 1050 with no GC would be reasonable. The bullet seal to the land and groove diameter is more or less a Lambert seal. This is like a piston ring in an automobile engine sealing to cylinder wall. What makes the Lambert seal work is the square edge, which in this case is the base or the GC shoulder. There is a point where the pressure exceeds the strength of the seal. This is where gas cutting occours. In addition to other things the GC makes a stronger seal.

I thought I heard mention somewhere in Cast Boolits that someone was making a gascheck with a longer wall on it. This would be intresting. It should be a stronger seal. This might be something to discuss.

Jeffrey

1Shirt
01-10-2006, 08:09 AM
For what it is worth, in my experiance, I agree with what Grumble has written.
1Shirt

1Shirt
01-10-2006, 08:20 AM
For what it is worth, in my experiance, I agree with what Grumble has written.
1Shirt