PDA

View Full Version : Ordered my molds, what else do I need?

303hunter
11-09-2021, 12:00 AM
Ordered a Lee two cavity mold for 440 grain,500 S&W magnum. My grandfather cast his fishing/net weights, so I’ve got his gas burner, cast iron pot and dipper. Also have a bunch of pure lead. I’ll slowly be acquiring the components I need, so recommendations will definitely be appreciated.

11-09-2021, 01:32 AM
Pure lead is good for muzzle loaders. That 500 S&W will need a harder lead boolit to prevent leading as it's shot. Vendors sell alloys for hard casts and for that cartridge, you may want to start off with some of that. Save the pure for your ML's.

Wash a new mold with dish soap and get rid of all the production oils. Make SURE it's dry before using. Follow the instruction that came with the mold as to cleaning and heating before use.

Up front, there is a steep learning curve but before long you'll be casting like a pro. Seek others for any questions that come up. Expect a few failures at first - no biggie, just remelt them and have at it again.

Good luck.

Winger Ed.
11-09-2021, 01:44 AM
I'd scrounge up some old school wheel weights, or some garage sale solder with some tin in it.

Pure Lead will work if you stay on the slow side.
A little Tin will fill out the mold easier/better and the boolits will be harder so you can push 'em faster without leading.

You may also want to get some sort of lubricator and sizer set up.

dverna
11-09-2021, 07:10 AM
Get welders gloves, safety glasses, long sleeve shirt, wear pants and boots.

Sasquatch-1
11-09-2021, 08:04 AM
Lee molds heat up pretty quick but that's a lot of cavity to fill for a beginner. I think a good amount of patience might be needed until you start getting everything heated up. First few bullets in each session will probably go pack in the pot.

Someone may be willing to trade a decent alloy for that dead soft.

Also consider powder coating. A pound of powder will go a long way and a yard sale toaster oven is cheap.

country gent
11-09-2021, 09:38 AM
You have the basic equipment I would add a thermometer to it so you can repeat results easier.
As far as consumables wax sawdust to flux with. towels to drop bullets on lube or powder coat. wheel weights, reclaimed shot ( a source of antimony)
Personal protective gear. ball cap, safety glasses, gloves, heavy shoes, long pants, long sleeved shirt. A leather or shop apron is nice also. Basically no exposed skin as any droplets splatters will find it.

Pre heat the moulds this can be done with a hot plate or on top of the pot while the alloy is melting. Have everything laid out to be comfortable and accessible in use. Use a pan to hold the towels for the bullets lay several in it so as they build up one can be lifted out and set aside leaving the fresh one ready to go.

It may be easier to start out with a few ingots of known alloy from roto metals or other supplier this takes one variable out of the start up.

A last thing is a note pad t record results and what you have tried and the results.

1Hawkeye
11-09-2021, 09:49 AM
Don't forget a luberasizer of some kind to size and lube the bullets.

JoeJames
11-09-2021, 09:59 AM
I picked up a leather welding apron at Harbor Freight for just a few bucks. It is worth every penny. I always get splashes on it every time I cast. If you have pure lead, then hunt up some lead free solder. It is about 95% tin.

metricmonkeywrench
11-09-2021, 11:21 AM
I would also recommend hitting up the local goodwill and pick up a few metal cookie sheets, cake and muffin pans, spoons and ladles as they seem to come in handy as your casting away. If you get lucky you may also trip over a dutch oven or large frying pan for some small smelting tasks.

Its also a good idea to scratch, stamp, electro pen etc that they are used with lead and no longer food safe.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-09-2021, 11:50 AM
Ordered a Lee two cavity mold for 440 grain,500 S&W magnum. My grandfather cast his fishing/net weights, so I’ve got his gas burner, cast iron pot and dipper. Also have a bunch of pure lead. I’ll slowly be acquiring the components I need, so recommendations will definitely be appreciated.
303hunter,
Welcome to the forum

I seen your previous post in another thread, quoted below. The BEST recommendation I can offer is to read the first half of that manual...then read it again. Casting is a fun & productive hobby, but it's fairly complex...but once you grasp the basics, then the world is your oyster.

Recently got a Lyman cast bullet handbook, and it contains milder loads than the Hodgdon manual I’ve been using. I’m gonna try some of the milder loads next.

303hunter
11-09-2021, 01:08 PM
303hunter,
Welcome to the forum

I seen your previous post in another thread, quoted below. The BEST recommendation I can offer is to read the first half of that manual...then read it again. Casting is a fun & productive hobby, but it's fairly complex...but once you grasp the basics, then the world is your oyster.

Great advice. I’ve read it several times and will read it several more. Been reloading for many years, but casting is very new. I want to safely learn how to cast.

11-09-2021, 10:30 PM
Hey 303hunter what kind of lead dipper are you using?

303hunter
11-09-2021, 10:59 PM
Hey 303hunter what kind of lead dipper are you using?
The one my grandfather used appears to be made of steel. It’s coated with rust, and will have to be cleaned up. Will it suffice or do I need something different?

303hunter
11-09-2021, 11:37 PM
I’m planning on powder coating. Will the Lee .501 sizer die work? Sorry if y’all have heard all this before, but I appreciate any help.

11-10-2021, 07:33 AM
It will probably be fine so long as it's not too big or too small or too rusty and spouts/ pours easily.

I ladle pour bullets with a rusty rcbs ladle I bought for 9 dollars at a flea market. I recently purchased and used a rowell number 1 bottom pour mold with an eight cavity 358429 plain based mold and it works well too.

John Boy
11-10-2021, 10:12 AM
Here’s a read how to start casting the right way ….
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
More info …. http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

slim1836
11-10-2021, 03:09 PM
Sometimes pictures help in solving issues, learn to post pics with issues you may have. It helps us to help you.

Slim

gwpercle
11-10-2021, 03:20 PM

LIKE !

Lots of great information ... read it from stem to stern ... Read chapter 1 through chapter 16 and additional shooting articles if you are a shooter !
I've been casting for over 50 years and still found several chapters of info I didn't know , I printed them out and keep with my printed manuals for referance ...
Some of the best information you will get is from this publication .
On this site you will get a lot of our "favorite " information / ways to do things ...you develope your own methods over the years ... But ...
You can take Glen Fryxell's info to the bank !
Gary

303hunter
11-10-2021, 06:59 PM

Thanks! I saved that to favorites.

303hunter
11-10-2021, 07:15 PM
Sometimes pictures help in solving issues, learn to post pics with issues you may have. It helps us to help you.

Slim

Thanks Slim. When I find all my grandfathers old casting equipment, I’ll post some pics, and we can figure out if it’s useable.

JoeJames
11-11-2021, 01:39 PM
You cannot have too many books on casting. I really liked "From Ingot to Target"; and it is free in PDF format on the internet. Just google it and there it will be.

georgerkahn
11-13-2021, 07:59 AM

Last week my knee went out a bit more than expected, and my (subconscious?) thought was to either hit the deck or have the palm of a hand against the woodstove (our heat source) top... YES! I got a bit of a burn. I "know" I have some burn ointment "somewhere?" -- but wife saved the day with an Aloe Vera branch ripped from a houseplant, which really worked in treating the burn...
Seeing your post -- I recall but a few, but memorable casting injuries -- including one memorable burn when, wearing sneakers, the sprue dropped between the sneaker and my right foot! Not to forget a few, each, cuts and bruises -- most from slipping pliers.
What I'm suggesting, sir -- is you inquired what else you NEED when casting -- and, again but suggesting -- I definitely recommend you assemble and have at hand a first aid kit including (of course) some burn ointment, a few band aids, some triple-antibiotic (e.g. Neosporin) ointment, and (a great fix for cuts) a roll of electric tape; perhaps a small roll of, too, Kling type gauze.
Bion, I also have a spare (2nd) set of plastic safety glasses (still in new wrap) atop mine -- I never cast without safety glasses on, and keep this 2nd pair handy should I not have my prime pair at hand (oops... where did I last set them down? -- I've been known to take them when, say, using a grinder on an in-shop task...)
geo