PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli rolling block John Bodine front sight problem

Paul101
11-08-2021, 01:45 PM
Hi everyone, first posting for me.
I’m in the UK and I’ve just aquired a Pedersoli John Bodine 45-70.
My problem is the front sight, the inserts are held in by a flimsy spring clip that keeps coming undone losing the insert.
I’m thinking of changing it to a Lyman globe 17AEU front sight, where the insert reticles are held in by the screw in bushing.
I already have one on a marlin 1894.
I wonder if anyone else has changed over these front sights without any problems.
Thank you

1Hawkeye
11-08-2021, 03:16 PM
Rather than the lyman may I suggest the lee shaver front sight it's like the lyman but has a spirit level in it and comes with better elements than the lyman. Also it's not much more expensive than the lyman sight.

Castaway
11-08-2021, 05:05 PM
If you’re talking about a pivoting spring lever that closes over the insert, Montana Vintage Arms has a similar design. The lever has a tendency to snag and bend upwards. I wrap electricians tape around the sight unit so that the lever doesn’t catch when sheathing or unsheathing the rifle.

Kraschenbirn
11-08-2021, 05:16 PM
No problem swapping in a Lyman 17 for the original front sight on my 'standard' model Pedersoli. Been almost 15 years ago but, IIRC, dovetail may have required a bit of 'fitting' with a set of jeweler's files but, after a few thousand rounds, it's still in place and has never required any further attention.

Bill

country gent
11-08-2021, 06:33 PM
I normally use the mva front globe with level I believe its model 117. I like it and its a little bigger opening than the lyman. Lee Shavers is also a good front. DIstant thunder makes one for long range that is angled front to back to help keep a round looking sight when the rear is jacked way up.

Another option is a windage adjustable front especially if the rear dosnt have much windage

Paul101
11-09-2021, 11:46 AM
Thank you everyone, will be looking at a front sight incorporating a bubble level��

1Hawkeye
11-09-2021, 12:16 PM
I forgot to mention Lee shaver has 2 sizes. One is the same as a 17a lyman and the other matches a Parker hale.

marlinman93
11-09-2021, 12:53 PM
The bubble level is a real asset, IF you're planning to shoot 500 yds. or further. Under 500 yds. it's not as necessary, and you can get by for the most part without it. I shot for years using a plain globe of some kind. But once I started shooting further out I had to switch to a bubble level on my globe sights.