PDA

View Full Version : 6" ABS pipe

BunkTheory
11-07-2021, 10:23 PM
Im just at my wits end here trying to build a photo paper developing tube, as they are not being sold for about a decade now.

I need to find a 6" x 2' BLACK ABS riser pipe, but i need a company that sells it online and sends it through the mail in the USA.

Winger Ed.
11-07-2021, 11:19 PM
Check out "PlumbersStock.com"

You might have to buy a 5' piece, and it ain't cheap,,,,,, but they've got it and will ship.

rancher1913
11-08-2021, 06:10 AM
most hardware stores sell it and will cut pieces for you. its very common in wyoming.

Rcmaveric
11-08-2021, 12:53 PM
6 inch sewer pipe is about standard. A little plastic paint to make it black. Sewer pipe is the purple stuff. Little thinner though.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

gwpercle
11-08-2021, 01:08 PM
Ace Hardware stores will delever ... or so they make it seem on TV advertisment .

Call down to local small hardware store, explain predicument and ask them if someone would drop it off to you and offer to pay them for trouble . We have some local small hardware stores where I bet someone would help ... the owner rewired a light fixture for me because I had done such a pathetic job it wouldn't work , I'm the worlds worst electrician ... he spent an hour rewiring it and charged me nothing ...there must be some friendly people working there that would drop the pipe by your house .
I live in the back ward state of Louisiana but people will help you here ...
A roofer saw how clogged my gutters were , took pity on me and c[eaned out all my gutters ... never charged a thing ... just told me he did it while he was on the roof ... He knew I could no longer get up there and just did it for me .
There have to be some nice people where you live .
Gary

MaryB
11-08-2021, 03:41 PM
Key is ABS(other pipes will soften with the developer chemicals). I have never found ABS in the stores around here, PVC yes...

Handloader109
11-08-2021, 05:26 PM
My local Home Depot has 6" x24" Pieces in black ABS for $9. They should ship to the store closest to you. If you can't do that, I can pick one up for you and ship to you.
PM me if you want.

Beerd
11-08-2021, 08:51 PM
My local Home Depot has 6" x24" Pieces in black ABS for $9. They should ship to the store closest to you. If you can't do that, I can pick one up for you and ship to you.
PM me if you want.

Why am I not surprised to see this kind of offer here?

Milsurp Junkie
11-08-2021, 09:59 PM
Because there are some really good folks here!

Mal Paso
11-08-2021, 11:12 PM
Key is ABS(other pipes will soften with the developer chemicals). I have never found ABS in the stores around here, PVC yes...

ABS is compatible with Color and B&W chemistry. I had E6 and C41 processors made from welded ABS. PVC should be fine too. There's formalin in the one final rinse but it's dilute.

I've never seen any thing larger than 4 inch ABS pipe in stores.

Scrounge
11-08-2021, 11:41 PM
Im just at my wits end here trying to build a photo paper developing tube, as they are not being sold for about a decade now.

I need to find a 6" x 2' BLACK ABS riser pipe, but i need a company that sells it online and sends it through the mail in the USA.

There a particular reason you're not using stainless steel pans and developing it flat in them? I got out of the field in 1985, but I also processes several tens of thousands of prints in 20x24 stainless steel trays.

though in case you actually know what you need :), Home Depot will deliver to your house: https://www.homedepot.com/s/abs%2520pipe?NCNI-5

This search was with my zip code, so the closest store may not have it, but mine can get 6" by 24" pieces. As Winger Ed said, it's not cheap.

Bill

BunkTheory
11-09-2021, 03:16 AM
There a particular reason you're not using stainless steel pans and developing it flat in them? I got out of the field in 1985, but I also processes several tens of thousands of prints in 20x24 stainless steel trays.

though in case you actually know what you need :), Home Depot will deliver to your house: https://www.homedepot.com/s/abs%2520pipe?NCNI-5

This search was with my zip code, so the closest store may not have it, but mine can get 6" by 24" pieces. As Winger Ed said, it's not cheap.

Bill

have you PRICED stainless steel trays, even plastic trays are really really out of it... its actually less cost to build a developing tube.

And i dont have the room, for tray processing. more then a 5x7 photo.

fastdadio
11-09-2021, 06:53 AM
Call your local plumbing contractor. He likely has a scrap piece laying out in the yard you could have.

MaryB
11-09-2021, 03:52 PM
have you PRICED stainless steel trays, even plastic trays are really really out of it... its actually less cost to build a developing tube.

Steam table pans off ebay are dirt cheap... even new ones can be had for very little money

gwpercle
11-10-2021, 12:52 PM
Because there are some really good folks here!

LIKE !

I hit our LIKE button
Gary

Scrounge
11-10-2021, 01:00 PM

Looks like you know what you need, then, but my experience with drum processing wasn't all that good. Not enough chemical to be sure of getting the whole print properly exposed to the chemicals for the whole processing time for large sheets of paper. Also slow to drain and refill for chemical changes. One of the labs I worked in we processed over 5000 8x10 prints a day. That one had automated photo processing, but the other labs were all tray processed.

Somewhere around here I still have a 35mm tube tank that will do 6 rolls of 35mm 36exposure film at a time, but nearly all the cameras are gone, and the ones that are still here mostly need repairs. Spent 10 years in the USAF as a still photographer. 35mm, 120/220, 4x5 & 8x10 film, prints up to 20x24, and scads of 8x10 viewgraph slides. I'd been a hobbyist before I enlisted, and had a fair collection when I left the field in 1985, 16mm to 8x10 cameras, a couple of enlargers, projectors, etc. I think I've got 3 35mm cameras left, maybe a 120 Diana, and a few lenses, including one for the 4x5 view camera I no longer own. I've got several of the smaller and cheaper digital cameras now, up to 16megapixel. I mostly use them for vacation photography and mechanics & electrical work. Disassembly photos make reassembly a lot easier. I've also got a ledger-size inkjet printer. I can do up to 13x18 prints on loose paper, and 11x17 (ledger size) from the tray. Plus scans up to 11x17. All that fits on my computer desk and a side stand for th printer/scanner.

Working as a photographer for Uncle Sam spoiled what had been a perfectly good hobby for me. If your home has more than one bathroom, or a laundry room you could do a much larger print processing setup than you think, using temporary structures that fold up when not in use. Developing, stop, and fix trays above the top, and a wash tank in the bathtub under it, another folding stand over the toilet for the enlarger, and a good sturdy lock on the door so no one can open it when you're developing prints. Can use the same setup with the trays set aside to process the film, too. And if you have a view camera of about any size, you can process sheet film in those trays, too.

Saw a set of 3 16x20 photo processing trays on Amazon for $54 or so. Plastic, not SS, but that's not a terrible price. Think I may still have a 16x20 SS tray laying around here, somewhere. Last time it got used we made a giant lasagna in it, and that was decades ago.

Bill

Mal Paso
11-11-2021, 08:18 AM
Watch out for 16x20 trays that are 16x20 outside dimensions not paper size. Adorama tried to pull that on me but PayPal got my money back. Adorama tried to keep some. Needless to say, they get none of my business now.

I've processed large sheets of B&W paper in wallpaper troughs. Still looking at 20x24 trays but will need a rack for them. 4x5 B&W is the only film I shoot now. My color is all digital

MT Gianni
11-11-2021, 03:25 PM
ABS is going the way of the dodo bird. Almost all drain, waster sewer pipe you see today is PVC.

Scrounge
11-12-2021, 12:55 AM
ABS is going the way of the dodo bird. Almost all drain, waster sewer pipe you see today is PVC.

And they've apparently decided PVC is gold. I was looking for a 5' chunk of 10" PVC, and a couple of end caps. $230 for the pipe from McMaster-Carr, and $109 each for the caps at Home Depot, though they don't sell the 10" pipe. Wanted a cheap way to derust a 4-1/2" lathe bed with EvapoRust. That sure ain't it.

Bill

DDriller
11-12-2021, 02:13 AM
Scrounge check with Locke Plumbing supply.

Handloader109
11-12-2021, 11:39 AM
I was looking at some fittings the other day as I had idea for some 4" or 6" pvc also. Over $20 for any of the caps in 4" stupid expensive and YES gouging. Injection molding costs haven't gone up, and material shouldn't be up much either. I think I know why my HD and Lowes stock continues to go up. Heck wandered through getting wood yesterday and 2x4 studs are STILL $4 each.... And my MDF sheet I use is now $44 plus tax for a sheet of half inch. $32 this time last year and that was up 10% from 2019. Wood dust and glue. ARGH

Scrounge
11-12-2021, 12:59 PM
Scrounge check with Locke Plumbing supply.

I gave up on the idea. I've got several plastic 55 gallon drums, two of them now have their heads cut out, and I'll stitching them together with SS wire, or possible SS screws, a dab of RTV sealant, and then I'll have an 80-gallon or so tank once I cut the side out a bit and lay it horizontal on a roller cart left over from an early rolling workbench build. Mate up a battery charger, some rebar for cathode, and I'll have a nifty electrolytic rust removal tank. It will be about 60" long, plenty big enough for the lathe bed, and much of anything else I need to strip rust from. Poor baby spent 5 years in a leaky barn. I'm gonna make it all better... ;) Cheaper than EvapoRust, too. Even at Locke Supply, it would cost, and I'm a cheap bastrich. I've got all this other stuff sitting here, may as well use it. And a couple of mosquito dunks to prevent "biohazard."

Bill

GregLaROCHE
11-12-2021, 05:25 PM
I used to do a lot of developing back in the day, but can’t understand where à six inch pipe can be used. Can someone explain how it is used?

C.F.Plinker
11-12-2021, 05:57 PM
Over simplifying it some what you put the paper in the drum, add the chemicals, put the cap on, and roll the drum across the table for agitation. Then pour the first chemical out, pour the second in and repeat.

Unidrum was among the first to come out with a drum that had a light tight cap that allowed you to pour the chemicals in and out without removing the cap. They then came out with a motor base that would do the rolling for you. The drums came in sizes for 8x10, 11x14, and 16x20 prints. One advantage was that you only needed a few ounces to process a print rather than a quart or half gallon needed to fill a tray.

Then Jobo came out with their version and added drums for processing roll and sheet films. They also added a temperature controlled water bath so all the chemicals stayed at the same temperature.

This was much nicer for processing color prints in the home darkroom than trays because of the higher (around 90-100 degrees) temperatures needed for the color processing.

It sounds like he is trying to fabricate his own drums.

Handloader109
11-13-2021, 04:03 PM
I gave up on the idea. I've got several plastic 55 gallon drums, two of them now have their heads cut out, and I'll stitching them together with SS wire, or possible SS screws, a dab of RTV sealant, and then I'll have an 80-gallon or so tank once I cut the side out a bit and lay it horizontal on a roller cart left over from an early rolling workbench build. Mate up a battery charger, some rebar for cathode, and I'll have a nifty electrolytic rust removal tank. It will be about 60" long, plenty big enough for the lathe bed, and much of anything else I need to strip rust from. Poor baby spent 5 years in a leaky barn. I'm gonna make it all better... ;) Cheaper than EvapoRust, too. Even at Locke Supply, it would cost, and I'm a cheap bastrich. I've got all this other stuff sitting here, may as well use it. And a couple of mosquito dunks to prevent "biohazard."

Bill

I've done a good bit of this renovating several woodworking machines. evaporust works well for small items, nuts ,bolts etc., that you can't easily replace. Tanking large items and using your cheap battery charger works really well. I've found that rebar works ok, but better steel works faster.

BunkTheory
11-14-2021, 12:01 AM
Over simplifying it some what you put the paper in the drum, add the chemicals, put the cap on, and roll the drum across the table for agitation. Then pour the first chemical out, pour the second in and repeat.

Unidrum was among the first to come out with a drum that had a light tight cap that allowed you to pour the chemicals in and out without removing the cap. They then came out with a motor base that would do the rolling for you. The drums came in sizes for 8x10, 11x14, and 16x20 prints. One advantage was that you only needed a few ounces to process a print rather than a quart or half gallon needed to fill a tray.

Then Jobo came out with their version and added drums for processing roll and sheet films. They also added a temperature controlled water bath so all the chemicals stayed at the same temperature.

This was much nicer for processing color prints in the home darkroom than trays because of the higher (around 90-100 degrees) temperatures needed for the color processing.

It sounds like he is trying to fabricate his own drums.

Exactly what i am trying to do here. The thing is, that i would have purchased a factory print drum, but unfortunately only a certain size is being made now, and i just dont have the coin to spend almost 600$ on a drum ...

Sure the light tight cap will have to be made from my own design, but its a relatively hard design to mess up.

Sure, alot of people on photography forums dont udnerstand my interest in a print drum because they all have large set ups for developing in trays. This is just a hobby to do for fun, and not anything i am using to make myself feel better.

Scrounge
11-14-2021, 03:58 PM
Exactly what i am trying to do here. The thing is, that i would have purchased a factory print drum, but unfortunately only a certain size is being made now, and i just dont have the coin to spend almost 600$ on a drum ...

Sure the light tight cap will have to be made from my own design, but its a relatively hard design to mess up.

Sure, alot of people on photography forums dont udnerstand my interest in a print drum because they all have large set ups for developing in trays. This is just a hobby to do for fun, and not anything i am using to make myself feel better.

It's not my chosen hobby anymore, but once upon a time... I have here, a book: The Photographer's Build-It-Yourself Book by Tom Branch. There are possibly a few others laying about. If you'd like them, send me a PM, and I'll send them to you. Don't know if it will be of any real use to you, but might at least give you some ideas. It's copyright 1982, so I've had it about as long as I've been married to my current and future wife. I gave up on photography as a hobby in 1985. What photography I do these days is for technical purposes, or to store memories.

Bill

BunkTheory
11-16-2021, 11:19 PM
It's not my chosen hobby anymore, but once upon a time... I have here, a book: The Photographer's Build-It-Yourself Book by Tom Branch. There are possibly a few others laying about. If you'd like them, send me a PM, and I'll send them to you. Don't know if it will be of any real use to you, but might at least give you some ideas. It's copyright 1982, so I've had it about as long as I've been married to my current and future wife. I gave up on photography as a hobby in 1985. What photography I do these days is for technical purposes, or to store memories.

Bill

If you want to expereince depression and abject misery, go look at photography forusms

labradigger1
11-17-2021, 05:49 AM
Could you use sono tubes?

BunkTheory
11-17-2021, 08:26 PM
Could you use sono tubes?

not really. They make those tubes from some sort of paper product, the film chemicals are liquids and would eat those things pretty soon.

Mal Paso
11-19-2021, 09:34 PM
not really. They make those tubes from some sort of paper product, the film chemicals are liquids and would eat those things pretty soon.

I would like to see what you are building if you would care to post in Special Projects.

BunkTheory
11-19-2021, 10:48 PM
I would like to see what you are building if you would care to post in Special Projects.

https://www.catlabs.info/product/3063

That is what i am trying to build for myself. The issue is that the originals have not been made in over 10 years. and the products they ARE making now, well i can get a brand new ruger gp100 in 357 magnum with a tad of searching.