PDA

View Full Version : Another Linotype Yard Sale Score

pete501
11-06-2021, 06:35 PM
I've got to gloat.

The grandkids were estate selling their grandpa's stuff.

We got there kinda late. I could tell there was reloading stuff from the empty brass and cartridge boxes, Only thing left was a Mec Jr and some wads. Nothing was priced.

At the bottom of a dark cabinet, (always on the bottom) I spotted cut up linotype pigs. I grabbed those. Looking deeper I found a bag of 7-1/2 shot and more lead.

All together 165 pounds, 120 of that was the linotype. All that for $25

Then for a second look. I had searched a back shed previously, a second look I found a single shot rifle 22 rifle: "Cooey model 75". Its a project for sure, no finish, carved and cracked stock, doesn't fire, barrel not in all the way. But for the whopping $5 I couldn't resist.

Stewbaby
11-06-2021, 07:16 PM
You stole it! Send them a free pizza delivery at least lol.

Rickf1985
11-06-2021, 08:35 PM
That 7 1/2 shot is worth more as shot to the hunters than it is as lead to melt. Look at shot prices lately, you will find first they are super high and second, there is none to be found. I just picked up 4 25lb. bags of #7 1/2 and one #6 for $200.00. So 125lbs. for $200.00 but I plan to use it for reloading.

pete501
11-06-2021, 08:46 PM
Shot will be kept as such. I don't need to reload shotshells any time soon. I rarely shoot them and have plenty loaded.

The majority of the shot I have is locked inside a strong box that the key no longer opens. Its too heavy to lift and I'll have to have a locksmith make a house call to pick the lock.

Winger Ed.
11-06-2021, 08:49 PM
That's great.
Super bargains are out there, ya just have to do a little leg work to find them.

I'd market the shot properly and make a few bucks.
It's like primers now days- you can find them but they're real expensive.

Winger Ed.
11-06-2021, 08:52 PM
The majority of the shot I have is locked inside a strong box that the key no longer opens. .

Ya might try opening it yourself.

It's a learning curve for sure, but if you're patient, it's do-able.
There's a bunch of youtube videos on how to do it.

The shorter the key way is, it means there's not as many pins as longer ones, and the easier it'll be to open.
You may only have to align 2 pins instead of 5 or 6.

Petander
11-08-2021, 11:29 AM
All together 165 pounds, 120 of that was the linotype. All that for $25

An impossible dream!

Lino sells for ~7 USD / pound over here, fishermen are paying us out.

Whenever I score lino/ mono / lead for a reasonable price, I use corruption in the form of good brandy etc. Sometimes the seller finds more that way.

pete501
11-08-2021, 11:37 AM
The score will be passed along in the Pay-it-Forward section. I claimed one of the latest offers so look for the new PIF shortly.

lightman
11-08-2021, 03:27 PM
Nice Score! It pays to keep your eyes open.