PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here from Kooskia, Idaho or close?

1989toddm
11-05-2021, 06:07 PM
We are looking at possibly relocating east a bit, and found a nice property outside of Kooskia. It’s on the Nez Perce reservation, but from the local that I questioned, there’s nothing to be afraid of as far as that goes.

Looking for info on taxes and anything else y’all can tell me. Wondering if building permits are required, and if so, how many hoops are there to jump through? Thanks in advance!

God Bless

Idaho45guy
11-06-2021, 02:47 AM
With a population of around 700 folks, I doubt you'll find anyone on here from there. Heck, probably hard to find more than a couple that have actually been there.

I used to deliver propane to all the Idaho DOT stations along Highway 12, so drove through Kooskia a few times a year. Beautiful area, rugged country, good folks. Had the closest thing to a Bigfoot encounter about ten miles out of town. Scared the crud out of me.

I can't imagine that building permits are an issue, but have no idea how private land ownership works on a reservation.

square butte
11-06-2021, 07:57 AM
My Wife's Brother and nephews all live in Grangeville which is not to far south. They say that Kooskia and Kamiah are full of mostly good conservative folks and that it's a good area of ID to live in if you are like minded. Also says lots of people pouring in from points west and less traditional - Nothing like southern ID though. Don't know about the building permit thing - but you will find things far less regulated than WA state. I doubt you will have much of an issue with the New Perce Res.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-06-2021, 11:48 AM
I'd offer the advice that you should carefully examine the Indian component here. Different tribes have different levels of tribal government ranging from none at all to almost complete sovereignty over their reservations. Their laws also differ, tribe to tribe and from the civil authority. In some cases you can have a presence there, but never really own the land if not a tribal member. Not trying to dissuade you from pursuing your dream, but just urging caution before making the decision.

DG

MT Gianni
11-06-2021, 01:12 PM
There used to be a member from Kooskia but haven't seen him post for a few years. I can't help you with taxes or rez stuff. Idaho has a sales tax, when we lived there 35 years ago registering cars was cheap compared to Montana. Vehicles are done by County not State.

waksupi
11-06-2021, 01:19 PM
I'd offer the advice that you should carefully examine the Indian component here. Different tribes have different levels of tribal government ranging from none at all to almost complete sovereignty over their reservations. Their laws also differ, tribe to tribe and from the civil authority. In some cases you can have a presence there, but never really own the land if not a tribal member. Not trying to dissuade you from pursuing your dream, but just urging caution before making the decision.

DG

Very true. When I was looking for land, I crossed the Flathead Rez off my list, as I couldn't hunt, trap, or cut wood there without being tribal member. I doubt you would have any zoning problems, but building permits are very possible, more from the state than the tribe. Check water rights.
Nez Perce are good people to be around.

Idaho45guy
11-06-2021, 02:17 PM
Very true. When I was looking for land, I crossed the Flathead Rez off my list, as I couldn't hunt, trap, or cut wood there without being tribal member.

That's interesting. It just occurred to me that Idaho is split into multiple game units, several of which include reservations. There are no restrictions on hunting on those reservations. However, the tribal members can hunt on tribal land year round and don't have to follow any game laws, IIRC.

Here is a link to the tribal code, which likely has the answers if you have a few hours to search...

https://nezperce.org/resources/tribal-code/

1989toddm
11-06-2021, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the help so far! I will check out that link to the tribal site. And it just occurred to me that I can find the permit info on the county website probably.

waksupi
11-07-2021, 01:53 PM
That's interesting. It just occurred to me that Idaho is split into multiple game units, several of which include reservations. There are no restrictions on hunting on those reservations. However, the tribal members can hunt on tribal land year round and don't have to follow any game laws, IIRC.

Here is a link to the tribal code, which likely has the answers if you have a few hours to search...

https://nezperce.org/resources/tribal-code/

I guess I should have said, no fishing or small game hunting without a tribal permit. No big game.

A few years ago, I was called by a rancher on the rez where I used to do coyote control on his ranch, and the adjoining ranches. I called the tribal office, and asked if there had been any rule changes. I was told I could shoot the coyotes, but had to leave them lie where the fell.