PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Aluminum Gov’t Model frames

Green Frog
11-05-2021, 12:44 PM
Does anyone know whether the company that made these back around the late ‘80s in California (?) is still around? I built one way back when, using the rest GI parts, and it came out pretty good. Traded it for a S&W K snub and some cash, so I came out pretty good, but am wondering about building another.

Froggie

Mk42gunner
11-05-2021, 07:01 PM
I don't even remember reading bout them, but I spent lot of the 80's and 90's out of the country. You may be able to find a spare frame in someone's forgotten someday box, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Lately I have had thoughts of a polymer framed 1911 in 9mm running through my brain, possibly Commander length. So far I've avoided looking too hard for parts...

Frankenguns if put together with skill can work fine, but as you no doubt know, resale is for naught.

Robert

1Hawkeye
11-05-2021, 10:40 PM
Ranger was Federal Ordinance. I think they've been gone since the late 80's early 90's. If I was going to build another 1911 I'd build another Caspian.

rkrcpa
11-06-2021, 09:03 AM
I have one of those frames that I built up back in the 80's, a buddy of mine has two of them that he still hasn't gotten around to finishing yet.

I will be rebuilding mine in the near future with modern parts.

MostlyLeverGuns
11-06-2021, 09:19 AM
I think Rock River, ATI, and EAA, maybe Rock Island make polymer 1911's in 9mm and 45. Sarco may have some aluminum 1911 Para-Ord frames. A full-length frame becomes a 'Commander' by trimming the frame dust cover extension.

scattershot
11-06-2021, 09:26 AM
Ruger lightweight Commander.

Uncle Grinch
11-06-2021, 09:33 AM
I believe that Sarco offers 1911 build kits at times. I’d check with them to see what’s available.

Green Frog
11-06-2021, 11:12 AM
We’re going pretty far afield here, but I did get the info I wanted about the Ranger/ Fed Ord frames. It was sort of nostalgia for me anyway as I’m not sure I really “need” another building project. [smilie=l:
Now as then, small internal parts are readily available from a variety of surplus and commercial sources. If one has a frame , the only (somewhat) costly parts are the slide and perhaps the barrel. Assembling a working 45 was just a fun hour or so and kept me from the “Honeydew” list for a while. Back in the day I kept a couple of complete parts sets on hand, so if a frame showed up, I could build a gun from what I had on hand… that’s been 30 years ago, but curiosity makes me wonder whether I still could. :roll:
Thanks for all your responses, and if anyone has one of those old bare aluminum frames they might want to sell or swap, I’m as close as a PM. :coffeecom
Froggie

Misery-Whip
11-06-2021, 02:27 PM
Only outfit I know, thats still in buisness, for 1911 aluminum frames is Stealth Arms. They are 80%. But they sell ALL the jigs one would need to finnish the frame by hand.

Lots of options from standard to tactical.

Green Frog
11-06-2021, 09:21 PM
In the words of the great Dirty Harry, “A man ought to know his limitations.” I might be able to finish an 80% receiver, but if I’m going to have small explosions going off in my hand, I want them contained in a device I can be sure of because it’s made of parts I’m confident are right. YMMV!

Froggie

rkrcpa
11-08-2021, 04:48 PM
I came across this the other day

https://i.imgur.com/UKLqxWc.jpg

Green Frog
11-08-2021, 05:03 PM
Thanks rkrcpa. That may even be the ad that stimulated me to buy mine all those many years ago. I don’t think I actually got it until about late ‘83 or maybe even some time in ‘84 or even later. After I built it (as a 45) I played with it for a few years but swapped it off by about 1990 or so. This was definitely a case of “you can’t have them all”. Then again, I kinda wish I had kept that one! :?

Froggie

RJM52
11-14-2021, 07:38 AM
...and here I though you just loved .32....:kidding:

Just picked up a Kimber GM Lightweight in 9mm. Haven't had the chance to try it yet but and hoping that all the barrels I have for the Stainless Target II also work in it...

Bob

Green Frog
11-14-2021, 09:18 AM
...and here I though you just loved .32....:kidding:

Just picked up a Kimber GM Lightweight in 9mm. Haven't had the chance to try it yet but and hoping that all the barrels I have for the Stainless Target II also work in it...

Bob

How do you know I’m not planning to build a lightweight target Gov’t Model in 32? GOTCHA! :mrgreen:

Mk42gunner
11-14-2021, 08:25 PM
Finding a two pound recoil spring to fit a 1911 might be even harder than finding a Ranger frame.

Sounds like a fun little idea though.

Robert

Green Frog
11-14-2021, 10:05 PM
Finding a two pound recoil spring to fit a 1911 might be even harder than finding a Ranger frame.

Sounds like a fun little idea though.

Robert

Believe it or not, a deceased gunsmith friend of mine was working on this project for a couple of years before he passed and I inherited most of the bits to assemble a top end, including the "soft" spring. One of these days I hope to get back to that project. Now it's idle speculation. :coffee:

Froggie