PDA

View Full Version : Paint for Lyman M5 scale?

Kylongrifle
11-05-2021, 10:24 AM
I picked up a Lyman M5 . It’s solid and in fine mechanical condition but has lots of paint flaked off. Couldn’t pass it up for $30.
Does anyone know of a decent paint to touch it up? I tried what looked like a decent match . It was model paint but of course it’s not a great match.
If anyone knows of a particular color that’s even a decent match I’d appreciate it. Thanks

gumbo333
11-05-2021, 11:09 AM
I picked up a Lyman M5 . It’s solid and in fine mechanical condition but has lots of paint flaked off. Couldn’t pass it up for $30.
Does anyone know of a decent paint to touch it up? I tried what looked like a decent match . It was model paint but of course it’s not a great match.
If anyone knows of a particular color that’s even a decent match I’d appreciate it. Thanks

Go to a farm/ feed store and look at some Allis Chalmers tractor/ equipment orange spray paint. Might be a close match.

Mk42gunner
11-05-2021, 06:36 PM
Depends on what color it is. I've got to Lyman branded Ohaus scales and they are both different colors. One is a tan or beige, and the other is close to a hammered gray.

The tractor spray paint may be the best idea.

Robert

Winger Ed.
11-05-2021, 06:49 PM
If it's chipped off much, that tells ya it wasn't nailed on very well at the factory,
and probably isn't some sort of powder coat or epoxy.

It might be a good project to soak it in acetone, stripper, or something to bust off the rest.
Then spray can the whole thing, or maybe even put a fancy powder coat finish on it.

country gent
11-06-2021, 10:21 AM
Some of the big box stores have a paint gun they can scan the part and it tells the color and mix to achieve it.

I would recommend a good cleaning and sanding or strip to bare metal this helps keep the chips or low spots from showing thru. Be aware of bearings, plastic parts, and scales / graduations. Depending on th paint you find it can be sprayed, brushed or for a textured finish dabbed with a sponge.

Preparation is the most important step here. Clean and prepare the surface well sanding and washing to get a proper surface to bond too.

TNsailorman
11-06-2021, 11:40 AM
If you have a Lowe's near you that sells paint, they can mix you a can of paint that will match your scale color. I have one of those Lyman M-5 scales that I bought in the 1960's if I remember correctly, and it is a two tone, light cream cover and a light brown bronze body. It is my favorite scale I have and still own several scales. james

gumbo333
11-06-2021, 04:34 PM
If you have a Lowe's near you that sells paint, they can mix you a can of paint that will match your scale color. I have one of those Lyman M-5 scales that I bought in the 1960's if I remember correctly, and it is a two tone, light cream cover and a light brown bronze body. It is my favorite scale I have and still own several scales. james

I was thinking Lyman orange forgetting about the nice Lyman scale I had that was gray. I have never seen the tan two tone scale. After cleaning even Wally World could help you out. I like the balance beam scales, sent the Lyman's down the road for an older Pacific that has a bit better notches to hold the sliding weights in place better.

jason367
11-08-2021, 07:13 AM
you call lyman?

William Yanda
11-08-2021, 08:45 AM
One of the major spray paint mfrs. used to have a series of crinkle finish colors available. Anyone know if they are currently manufactured?

tdoor4570
11-08-2021, 09:09 AM
Who cares if the paint is flaking off , does it still work ? just gives it charm and shows that it works for a living.

jaguarxk120
11-08-2021, 09:34 AM
VHT makes the wrinkle paint in a spray can. The wrinkle paint will come out looking just like
factory paint. Read the instructions well as you have to follow them for the paint to come out right.
Also it should be heat treated to harden the paint.
Advance Auto carries the VHT paints.

Acorn
01-16-2022, 10:38 AM
The auto parts store I work at has a color analyzer that can read the color and either find a match or create a new color to match. The tricky part is you need a flat surface on the scale to read the color. And the paint on that spot needs to be in good clear condition. Any outside light messes up the readings. We can then mix the paint and put in an aerosol can. Call around to your local independent auto stores or NAPA. I wouldn’t bother with AZ or Advance as I don’t believe they carry paint.

kywoodwrkr
01-16-2022, 10:49 PM
One of the major spray paint mfrs. used to have a series of crinkle finish colors available. Anyone know if they are currently manufactured?

Rust-Oleum? Ace Hardware

Winger Ed.
01-16-2022, 11:13 PM

Lowe's has several colors of it on the shelf, as well as the 'hammer tone' stuff.
Or, Amazon will have pretty much all of them still in production.