PDA

View Full Version : This 'getting old' thing is not for the meek

Winger Ed.
11-04-2021, 07:34 PM
I'm almost 67, and always thought I was in pretty good shape for that.

The other day, I was changing the serpentine belt and repacking the front wheel bearing on my '06 F250.

The belt only took a couple hours of working off a step ladder being bent double, and/or laying
across the top of the engine reaching down through the about 1/8" gap between the engine & the razor sharp fan.

The two bolts holding the caliper bracket--- Whew!! They come in from the backside, and had some sort of goo
on them that required 3-4 strokes with a 8 pound hammer to make them turn for each 90 degrees.
And yeah, they're fine threaded and seemed like they were about four feet long.

Driver's side- not too bad since I could swing down.
Passenger's side: Hammering UP for about an hour on the breaker bar & socket while all hunched up in the wheel well was different.

Then, taking off the rotor & hub-- they're one piece, and must weight 50-60 pounds.

I remember when this was just another quick, 'no big deal', evening project. Not any more.
It about killed me..... I'm sore in places I didn't even know I had.

I was going to wimp out and take a couple of aspirin,
but it's more fun to hobble around, moan & groan, and complain all day.

lightman
11-04-2021, 07:53 PM
I have extreme fatigue with my MS and jobs that once took minutes now take hours. But I'm only working for me so I guess it don't matter.

pworley1
11-04-2021, 07:53 PM
I remember 67. I feel your pain.

ShooterAZ
11-04-2021, 07:54 PM
I'm right behind ya. On the bright side, at least you can remember where all your tools are... I cleaned out all the gutters on the house yesterday, and i am still kinda feeling it today. Climbing up and down ladders for 3-1/2 hours when you're in your mid-60's isn't what it used to be!

country gent
11-04-2021, 08:10 PM
With the mobility issues from MS I have to really watch what I do, I can stand with support but if I get down it takes 3 men to get me up. I try to set things up where I can work sitting in the track chair. Things do take me longer now but I can usually get them done

Working on vehicles is out for me though.

One trick I use is a hydraulic die cart for lifting and moving things. A small light floor jack with a piece of plywood mounted on it would save a lot of lifting on rotors and other low mounted parts. When possible use leverage and mechanical over muscle.

I still do what I did before just not the same way. sometimes I have to stop and think a little. I need a few more breaks but I do pretty good.

Mal Paso
11-04-2021, 08:11 PM
I'm a couple years ahead of you. I bought the Milwaukee 1400 lb battery impact and a right angle ratchet. It cuts down the cramping at the end of the day. Doesn't help the up and down though.

armoredman
11-04-2021, 08:28 PM
This is what I have to look forward to in 10 years? Better stock up on Advil now...

beemer
11-04-2021, 08:31 PM
And if you fall look around to see if there is anything you can do while you are already there.

Winger Ed.
11-04-2021, 08:40 PM
I'm a couple years ahead of you. I bought the Milwaukee 1400 lb battery impact

I forgot to put in the original post--

I've got an old school commercial, 1/2" drive CP impact, I run with a big compressor at 150 psi cut off pressure.
As soon as the compressor charged & shut off--- the CP still wouldn't turn them.

That's why I had to go to my short handled, 8 pound, 'speed wrench'.

GhostHawk
11-04-2021, 09:01 PM
I quit trying to do those jobs, that is what money is for. Just turned 69 and your right, getting old is not for lightweights.

If only the alternative did not suck so bad.

I have no real complaints though. Caught the biggest fish I've ever caught in my life this summer on light spinning tackle.
And when I got it to shore even with a rapala lip lock I could not lift it clear of the water. And I know I can still lift 40 lb buckets of cat liter. I'm blaming it on poor position. Still a channel cat that size is a nice feather in the cap.

granville_it
11-04-2021, 09:02 PM
I turned 72yrs.

I leant my lesson, I don't fool around with automobiles motors and climbing ladders anymore.

I pay them.

Mark

Gator 45/70
11-04-2021, 09:19 PM
Yep, Doc told me 2 days ago I'm a diabetic? I'm like I don't feel any different than 5 years ago.
But I have decided to shed a few lbs. and try to eat better and less of it.

sparky45
11-04-2021, 09:22 PM
I'll be 76 next month and I have noticed physical challenges seem to be harder to complete. Simple things like attaching a plow or disk to the tractor are cumbersome and since I have "old man" skin I'm always bleeding from somewhere. I hope to finish painting the house tomorrow and I truly hate ladders.

Three44s
11-04-2021, 09:25 PM
All these climate scientists need to study gravity. I believe it is getting stronger.

Three44s

fixit
11-04-2021, 09:28 PM
I'm "only" 60, but I understand. I'm approaching that point where if it doesn't hurt, it doesn't work!

Mal Paso
11-04-2021, 09:31 PM
I forgot to put in the original post--

I've got an old school commercial, 1/2" drive CP impact, I run with a big compressor at 150 psi cut off pressure.
As soon as the compressor charged & shut off--- the CP still wouldn't turn them.

That's why I had to go to my short handled, 8 pound, 'speed wrench'.

That's what the 1,400 ftlbs is for. The battery driven Milwaukee has more power than any air driven impact I've ever used. Watch out for left handed lugs, you could easily snap them off.

I got Old Man Skin too. Auto repair now requires a blood sacrifice.

Winger Ed.
11-04-2021, 09:51 PM
All these climate scientists need to study gravity. I believe it is getting stronger.

You may be onto something.
I know for sure all this global warming is making my clothes shrink.

Forty Rod Ray
11-04-2021, 09:59 PM
Ooooh to be 67 again…why I could climb a tree backwards!!!!

Don’t fret, when your time rolls around , you will be ready…

Ad libitum….

Ray

Winger Ed.
11-04-2021, 10:09 PM
I'll be 76 next month and I have noticed physical challenges seem to be harder to complete.

Yeah,,,, I'd always thought I could put all that off awhile longer.
Big surprise!

My neighbor is 76, and he got a quote for swapping out his leaking water heater.
He's got the new one, but the more he thought about it, the less he wanted to swap them.
He figured he could buy a new .45 for what a Plumber wanted.

So what we all used to be able to dead lift off & put the new one up onto a raised platform--
he was in his garage this afternoon building a ramp to slide them on.
Making the swap is our project for tomorrow.

Traffer
11-04-2021, 10:09 PM
I have had ME/CFS for the past 35 years. Quit golfing '97. Could't hit a full bucket of balls in 2005. NOW? Had to quit working on my car. (I did all the maintenance on it since I bought it in 1999.) Can't even change oil now.
I haven't even been to the range since 2017. My life now is computer and bed....(trying to get my little lathe set up next to my desk.)
I'm 69.
30 years ago doctors said I wouldn't see 60.

Winger Ed.
11-04-2021, 10:14 PM
I'm 69. 30 years ago doctors said I wouldn't see 60.

I heard there's a trick to that:

A buddy tells a story of when his Dad went to the Doctor and after some tests, a bunch of poking and prodding,
the Doctor told him he only had about six months to live.

He told the Doctor, "Oh yeah? The heck with you then. I ain't going to pay ya".
The Doctor then gave him a couple more years.

Murphy
11-04-2021, 10:16 PM
Yep, some of us seem to age sooner than we thought. I'll turn 68 next month and never dreamed I'd be in the shape I'm in. A couple of stints 7-8 years back, a pacemaker a little over a year ago (AFIB). I retired July 31st two years back. Never having been a fan of hot weather, I came home and took a 2 month long nap and didn't hit a lick at a snake. I'm 5'9" and was born 'stocky' as they call it. I was a lineman and did service calls for the water department for the last 5 years of my work career. There were days I kept men half my age hopping. Reading water meters to the tune of getting up and down 250 times a day 2 days in a row (weather providing), will give you legs and glutes that about rival a young mule.

Well, after my 2 month self imposed nap and staying out of the heat I started doing a few things, nothing serious mind you. Light stuff around the place, a couple of out of town trips...etc. Then the world got turned upside down and there just wasn't anything to do. I cast a 4 or 5 full coffee cans of boolits I mostly use, lotta resizing, etc. Then I got still too long and the weight piled on and muscle atrophy set in. Only myself to blame on that one. I took a spill back around the first of the year and was 2 months before the aching in my knee and hip stopped.

Seems my ust'a could list has grown significantly. Oh well, such is my life at this time. Things can always get worse.

Murphy

nvbirdman
11-04-2021, 10:38 PM
When I was 60 (That was a number of years ago) I was buying a new truck. The salesman was real anxious to show me the engine. I didn't want to see the engine, I quit working on vehicles a long time ago and I would never touch this one. He had to show it to me anyway. He opened the hood and sure enough there was an engine in there. I was quite unimpressed.

Handloader109
11-04-2021, 10:39 PM
I hope you took care of the pads and have replace the calipers at some point. The calipers have a phenolic piston that will swell up and freeze in place at some undermined bad time. And I have been paying more in the past year than I ever did. 63 and I really have issue with inner ear when I get on my back and try to work overhead. Paid Uhaul to put on receiver hitch last year. Only a bit over $100 and was worth it. Just paid for oil change also. Never had done that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

JohnH
11-04-2021, 10:41 PM
This is what I have to look forward to in 10 years? Better stock up on Advil now...

You actually think that's gonna work, huh. Good Luck :bigsmyl2:

CastingFool
11-04-2021, 10:44 PM
The last time I changed the oil in my Silverado, I couldn't believe how sore I was from all that crawling around underneath the truck. My son did it for me the next time. Our other vehicle, a Traverse, I don't even know where the oil filter is. I just take it to a trusted mechanic.

Battis
11-04-2021, 10:45 PM
1991. I had to take the info from two drivers involved in a minor accident - young kid and an older guy (young kid was at fault). I looked at the older guy's license and said, "This can't be right. Date of birth '93? That's two years in the future."
"That's 1893, sonny," he said.
I got talking to him. He said, "I'm kinda tired of driving. Actually, I'm kinda tired of living."
He lived 5 more years - died at 103.

BJK
11-04-2021, 10:49 PM
I'm 69 and never thought I'd see my 20th birthday, but the military can have that effect. I was on hazardous duty pay for 2 years and they don't pay that for sitting behind a desk. I still have that 17 year old military mind but my body can't cash the checks that my mind writes. I'm paying for it right now (pain!).

Today a job that should take 15 minutes took us 1.25 hours to get done. It's Maine and it was the snow plow on the truck after sitting all summer with the sun beating on the hydraulics all that time. But we got it done. After that I was tuckered out. It requires more work and and I'll get to it by and by. I think older age has put me on "island time". Unfortunately winter is coming and it's on earth time.

The wife was telling me tonight that parts are hurting that she never knew she had. It should be interesting dialog in the AM.

Winger Ed.
11-04-2021, 10:53 PM
I hope you took care of the pads and have replace the calipers at some point. The calipers have a phenolic piston that will swell up and freeze in place at some undermined bad time.

Hmmmm,,,, nobody told me about that.
It's only got 60,000 miles on it, and except for about 30 miles total spread over 5 trips to carry bags of cement,
it's been run more or less empty its whole life. I was just doing the scheduled maint. on the front wheel bearings.
The rotor and pads are so big, they look like something you'd see on a freight train.
There was only the faintest minimal sign of brake dust, and the factory pads look almost new.

The caliper moved back with only a little prying with a rather small screw driver.
They were easier to move than a lot of cars I've worked on, so I figured the caliper was OK.

rbuck351
11-04-2021, 11:54 PM
I'm 73 and still do all my vehicle repairs. A few months ago I replaced the motor in my 99 Jeep grand Cherokee. It takes me longer than it used to but at least I know is is done right. But yeah, getting old isn't for sissies.

Minerat
11-04-2021, 11:55 PM
Fyi, those caliper bolts have a thread locker goo that if you heat till hot to the touch will allow them to come off with a breaker bar. No beating required. Been there done that. Then you have to use loctite red when you retorque them. 68 here and my knees and back remind me of every mogal run and jumps I did in my youth. [smilie=l:

Winger Ed.
11-05-2021, 01:16 AM
Then you have to use loctite red when you retorque them. :

I didn't locktite them on the install, but I was looking at the tire wear, and wasn't happy.

In the next day or two, I'll be changing to a different offset of caster/camber bushings to compensate
for some spring sag that has been helped along with the big heavy Ranch Hand type bumper.

I'll locktite 'em real quick then.

Thundarstick
11-05-2021, 05:34 AM
At 58 Y'all are making me feel like a baby! Where I work, most of us have worked together for 30 plus years and we've began to notice that they must be moving the floor down every year, as is harder to get back up from it!

dale2242
11-05-2021, 06:52 AM
Life was still pretty easy at 70.
It definitely got tougher after 75.
I will be 80 in February.
A hip that will be replaced soon and severe arthritis in my lumber region and SI are making getting around a lot tougher.
i guess 50+ years on heavy equipment will do that to you.

William Yanda
11-05-2021, 07:03 AM
Thanks for sharing. For me, 67 was half a decade ago.

MrWolf
11-05-2021, 08:26 AM
I'm right behind ya. On the bright side, at least you can remember where all your tools are... I cleaned out all the gutters on the house yesterday, and i am still kinda feeling it today. Climbing up and down ladders for 3-1/2 hours when you're in your mid-60's isn't what it used to be!

Cleaned out my gutters a few weeks ago. My feet hurt for over a week. What the heck was that all about? Used to carry shingles up with no problems. My back and neck are really messed up. Being Superman when I was younger and then a stupid lifting and twisting of a very full filing cabinet had the docs telling me at 30 that I had the back of a 70 yr old. Problem is I am 61 now and everything hurts. Arthritis and nerve damage to boot. Yup, getting old is not for the faint of heart and everything takes five times longer to do.

jdfoxinc
11-05-2021, 08:53 AM
I know I'm alive in the morning cause something hurts. I figure one day I'll wake up with no pain and either I died or the rapture occurred.

OS OK
11-05-2021, 09:09 AM
My FIL used to say several times a day..."It sucks getting old!" I actually got tired of hearing that. God bless him, I miss that old'Fart.
The irony is that now...I'm the one saying it!

Handloader109
11-05-2021, 09:37 AM
Hmmmm,,,, nobody told me about that.
It's only got 60,000 miles on it, and except for about 30 miles total spread over 5 trips to carry bags of cement,
it's been run more or less empty its whole life. I was just doing the scheduled maint. on the front wheel bearings.
The rotor and pads are so big, they look like something you'd see on a freight train.
There was only the faintest minimal sign of brake dust, and the factory pads look almost new.

The caliper moved back with only a little prying with a rather small screw driver.
They were easier to move than a lot of cars I've worked on, so I figured the caliper was OK.

You're fine. When it hits about 120,000 I'd do them. I got to about 160k and had one freeze up on me while on a trip. Got luck and was able to fix. First thought it was the wheel bearings.

elk hunter
11-05-2021, 09:47 AM
At about age 65 gravity apparently got much stronger. I simply couldn't lift my 12" rotary table onto the milling machine table without a struggle. And about the same time I mastered falling down but, darn it, I still haven't figured out how to fall back up. Once I'm down under a vehicle and I want to get up I roll around like a walrus, get up on my hands and knees, and look for something to grab on to to pull myself up. E-gads what's going on. Again it's that gravity thing. Tuesday I drove the 28 miles out to the range fired up the 1953 Cat grader and bladed a mostly unimproved area to make a better parking area. After four and one half hours I called it quits and drove home. Boy was I tired! It's taken two days to recover. I guess that at 76 I shouldn't complain because I'm still able to do some work but just not as fast or as easily as I used to. This getting old is getting old. I remind myself to just keep on keeping on.

DocSavage
11-05-2021, 10:18 AM
At 71 I figured out my days of leaping tall buildings in a single bound passed a while ago. Could lift my wife no problem now I got a Hoyer lift to make life easier.

Finster101
11-05-2021, 10:25 AM
I Will turn 61 in just a few days and retired from turning wrenches at the dealership level this past April. A heart attack that led to seven stents a few years ago and a brandy new defibrillator this past November finally caught up with me. Huge loss of muscle mass and stamina, coupled with eroded disc in my lower back said enough is enough. Can't swing a cyclinder head in place without getting a young guy to help and then he does most of the work. Can't pull the the wrench enough to get the final torque required. Problem is I still look okay but I ain't got no oomph anymore. I also have the old man skin plus the joy of blood thinners. Don't even know I'm bleeding till I see a smear on something I'm working on. Glad to hear I'm not alone but dang I got old quick.

BJK
11-05-2021, 10:36 AM
<snip> Huge loss of muscle mass and stamina, <snip> Problem is I still look okay but I ain't got no oomph anymore. I also have the old man skin <snip> Don't even know I'm bleeding till I see a smear on something I'm working on. Glad to hear I'm not alone but dang I got old quick.
Same here. I sold off many of my long guns due to the loss of muscle mass. Sure I could use them just not as fast as I once was with them. Arm braced handguns, SBRs, and bullpups have kept me in the game for "long" guns.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-05-2021, 11:15 AM
I'll be 80 next year. I remember the old TV show "Petticoat Junction", and the theme song that said, "and that's Uncle Joe, he's movin' kind of slow, at the Junction." My lively step turned into a shuffle. I hurt here and there, but compensate. After all, what else can you do? I try to keep challenges in my life, such as cutting firewood, an interest in all things "gun", and I think if I didn't do so I'd have already expired. I still like being here, but am pretty sure when the end arrives I'll welcome it. Dying is part of life, just the end part. Best to you all.

DG

gwpercle
11-05-2021, 11:42 AM
The last time I changed the oil in my Silverado, I couldn't believe how sore I was from all that crawling around underneath the truck. My son did it for me the next time. Our other vehicle, a Traverse, I don't even know where the oil filter is. I just take it to a trusted mechanic.

Local 15 Minute Oil Change business became my best friend about 15 years ago ... Crawling around under a 1968 Chevelle wasn't too bad ... then I got to where I wouldn't fit under the car ...
If you bring your own oil and filter ...they will change your oil for $18.50 ... they did a few years ago anyways . They never had my Oil filter and stopped carrying conventional 10- w-40 motor oil ...
the manager told me just bring my own oil & filter ...$18.50 was worth every penny for me not to roll around on the ground ... getting up off the ground is getting a lot harder than I ever imagined it would !
Gary

white eagle
11-05-2021, 11:48 AM
I'm almost 67, and always thought I was in pretty good shape for that.

The other day, I was changing the serpentine belt and repacking the front wheel bearing on my '06 F250.

The belt only took a couple hours of working off a step ladder being bent double, and/or laying
across the top of the engine reaching down through the about 1/8" gap between the engine & the razor sharp fan.

The two bolts holding the caliper bracket--- Whew!! They come in from the backside, and had some sort of goo
on them that required 3-4 strokes with a 8 pound hammer to make them turn for each 90 degrees.
And yeah, they're fine threaded and seemed like they were about four feet long.

Driver's side- not too bad since I could swing down.
Passenger's side: Hammering UP for about an hour on the breaker bar & socket while all hunched up in the wheel well was different.

Then, taking off the rotor & hub-- they're one piece, and must weight 50-60 pounds.

I remember when this was just another quick, 'no big deal', evening project. Not any more.
It about killed me..... I'm sore in places I didn't even know I had.

I was going to wimp out and take a couple of aspirin,
but it's more fun to hobble around, moan & groan, and complain all day.

Yeah I hear ya
I was a brick layer for most all of my working life
and let me tell you my body has been broken down and the
supposed golden years are painful and not easy
been retired for 5 or so years and looked forward to it for as long as
I can remember since my first day of work
life goes on as they say but it aint easy at times

cabezaverde
11-05-2021, 11:55 AM
I Will turn 61 in just a few days and retired from turning wrenches at the dealership level this past April. A heart attack that led to seven stents a few years ago and a brandy new defibrillator this past November finally caught up with me. Huge loss of muscle mass and stamina, coupled with eroded disc in my lower back said enough is enough. Can't swing a cyclinder head in place without getting a young guy to help and then he does most of the work. Can't pull the the wrench enough to get the final torque required. Problem is I still look okay but I ain't got no oomph anymore. I also have the old man skin plus the joy of blood thinners. Don't even know I'm bleeding till I see a smear on something I'm working on. Glad to hear I'm not alone but dang I got old quick.

Do the blood thinners cause this? I have the same issues and wonder if there is a connection?

Finster101
11-05-2021, 12:11 PM
"Do the blood thinners cause this? I have the same issues and wonder if there is a connection?"

About the "old man skin" I don't know. The year following my heart attack 2015 I was on Brillinta and aspirin. I had to carry those little packets of blood clotter because it almost would not stop on it's own. I was concerned enough that I would not ride my motorcycle while I was on it and believe me, that was tough for me. I'm on Plavix now and while it is still an issue it is not near as bad. So while I'm not a Dr. my experience tells me there is definitely a connection. The thin skin issue I think just makes the blood letting easier to get started. You should talk to your Dr. I'm sure he can explain it much better than me.

alamogunr
11-05-2021, 12:28 PM
No one has mentioned the emotional stress imposed by old age. I'm in very good health for 79 despite T2 diabetes. Not to say that I can do everything I could do 10-15 years ago but by pacing myself, I can get by. Unlike many others, I did not spend my life doing heavy physical jobs. Those obviously take a toll. My biggest problem is realizing that most of my imagined "bucket list" will never be complete. There is no reason to continue to accumulate guns and all the things that go with a new gun because I will never get around to making full use of what I already have.

I just finished reading a thread that addressed long lead times for ordered items(Example:Custom 1911's or any other custom for that matter).

I mentioned in another thread that I just received a Freedom Arms Model 97 in .44 Special. I haven't shot it yet but have a couple hundred reloads ready to go and another couple hundred boolits ready to load when brass is available. Another oldster, John Taffin and his Book of the .44 is responsible for that.

BTW, I didn't order thru FA. Got it from a dealer at a good price(for an FA).

.429&H110
11-05-2021, 01:06 PM
Too soon old, too late smart.
Witch doctor prescribed Eliquis after they picked out the pulmonary embolisms.
I suppose it worked, here I am, though I believe prayer was more effective.

A caution about taking blood thinner- anticoagulants is car wrecks.
When (not if) you get t-boned you will have slight internal bleeding.
If you are taking Eliquis you will bleed out internally when twisted
because there is no clotting. It's a death of a thousand cuts.
You are gonna need lots of whole blood.

I won't say don't take it, but be sure any long term drug is appropriate.
Wear a bracelet so the EMTs know what you are into.

Beware witch doctors, when they don't know which doctor.

Mal Paso
11-05-2021, 01:12 PM
I have never been on blood thinners but I have my dad's skin. Any little sharp edge will draw blood and reaching inside the dashboard will leave bruises on my arms.

My muscle tone goes away so fast I don't dare stop.

lancem
11-05-2021, 01:13 PM
Guess I'm a lucky one, 67 in a month and I'm still running and working my 2-6 man steel construction team and plan too for a few more years. I feel it in my hips in the morning first thing if I've spent the day before on a ladder a lot or up and down a drywall sawhorse, but otherwise I can still keep up pretty much with the younger guys (40's) in my crew.

Winger Ed.
11-05-2021, 01:33 PM
About 4 years ago I was doing a project to widen my driveway. I had my orange HD mixer, I'd go get a pallet of
42 of the 80 pound cement bags. I roll 'em down to the tailgate, and dump them 2 at a time into the mixer.

It was a good project, and something I could do. It took 7 trips, and I'd do one section at a time with 1 yard of cement.
Near the end, I wrenched my lower back from the lift, rotate/twist, and dump of the bags. And my knee hurt too.

The next day, it hurt!! I was sent home from work upon arrival for the first time ever.
I got a MRI and when the Doc read the tea leaves, he said, "Well, your knee is OK, but that crushed disc isn't".
He went on, "For some people it'll be OK in a few weeks. For some, it takes a few months. For others, it's after the surgery".

I told him, "No Doc, you don't understand. This is America. We have a pill for everything. You just need to find the right one".

After 4 years, it's tolerable without pain killers. But I don't buy the 80 pound bags of cement any more.

AlHunt
11-05-2021, 01:47 PM
I'm not a far gone a most of you guys but I do know that I'm getting much taller as I age.

I know this because when I drop something I have to bend down a lot further to pick it up.

GOPHER SLAYER
11-05-2021, 01:48 PM
I turned 87 in October and I am not doing too bad. I replaced a piece of oak flooring yesterday that covers the gap between the living room and the hallway. The job required that I get up and down a lot. It also required the use of a drill. I got the job done and it looks good but this morning when I woke up there was no part of me that didn't hurt, including my head. My wife and I had breakfast out. After several cups of coffee, eggs and French toast, I don't feel so bad.

375supermag
11-06-2021, 10:45 AM
Hi...
I might as well chime in here as well.
I turned 67 today(Nov.6).
I retired in July 2018 after my third bout of cancer. Surgeries, chemo and radiation treatments really took a toll on my strength snd stamina and they really haven't returned.
Still, I still can do most anything I want but do need to pace myself. Radiation induced arthritis in my neck takes a lot of the fun out of things some days.
I do rely on my son to do car repairs and maintenance but I still do most of the maintenance around The Estate.
All in all, not too bad considering I was declared terminal due to cancer in 2012 and 2016. I am in total remission with an apparent cure from salivary gland cancer in 2012 and total remission from Burkitt's-like lymphoma in 2018. My bout with non Hodgkin's lymphoma in 1977 seems like it happened in a different life except for the scars from surgery.

8mmFan
11-07-2021, 02:14 AM
Any advice for a 54-year old, to make the next few years easier/better, as far as aging goes? I’m in ok shape. Have had my share of injuries but I’ve been able to work through them or get past them with time. I still work out some.

One thing I’ve found, physically, is that the more days I go in a row with a good routine of stretching, the better I feel for days afterward.

Will take any advice I can get, here: there’s nobody with more wisdom on aging, than guys that are doing it!

8mmFan

Winger Ed.
11-07-2021, 02:23 AM
Will take any advice I can get, here:

Don't over extend yourself.
If something feels 'too heavy' to pick up and carry---- it probably is. That's your body saying, 'Go get a 2 wheel dolly'.
The guys with the most 'issues' and aches & pains are the ones who've lived a life of strenuous exertion-- heavy lifting soft of things.

Lots of old professional football players are all stove up from doing such long term and extreme exertion in their younger years.

Another example:
Guys with knee & hip replacements--- very few needed to get them because they sat at a desk too long.

MrWolf
11-07-2021, 09:20 AM
Any advice for a 54-year old, to make the next few years easier/better, as far as aging goes? I’m in ok shape. Have had my share of injuries but I’ve been able to work through them or get past them with time. I still work out some.

One thing I’ve found, physically, is that the more days I go in a row with a good routine of stretching, the better I feel for days afterward.

Will take any advice I can get, here: there’s nobody with more wisdom on aging, than guys that are doing it!

8mmFan

Be smart. When you think I can still do that - DON'T. Like Winger Ed. said, do not over exert yourself. Look into vitamins, joint vitamins, DHA (memory), etc if you believe in them or do not eat properly. Everyone is different. Just wish I knew how much damage I was doing to myself playing Superman. Sucks when you can't turn your head to the left or the doc can hear grinding when you move it up/down etc. Just be smart.

GhostHawk
11-07-2021, 09:41 AM
Every morning when I get up I hand grind my coffee for a single 12 oz insulated mug. Which is the only coffee I allow myself in a day.

I blend my own beans, mostly buying whole roasted beans from Amazon, with some green beans to be freshly roasted and added.
Each morning it is 35 granks with the right hand, 35 with the left to get my measured dose. The blend changes according to season and temps.

Summer coffee leans more towards hazelnut, Kona, Mississippi grog.
Winter coffee has a good amount of Columbian Pablo's Pride, with some other central American beans added.

But I do believe that grinding them by hand helps keep my arms, shoulders in condition.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F2CFSHR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
currently sells for 24$.
The one I am using was purchased in Dec of 2018, still going strong.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F2CFSHR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

white eagle
11-07-2021, 10:24 AM
I'll be 80 next year. I remember the old TV show "Petticoat Junction", and the theme song that said, "and that's Uncle Joe, he's movin' kind of slow, at the Junction." My lively step turned into a shuffle. I hurt here and there, but compensate. After all, what else can you do? I try to keep challenges in my life, such as cutting firewood, an interest in all things "gun", and I think if I didn't do so I'd have already expired. I still like being here, but am pretty sure when the end arrives I'll welcome it. Dying is part of life, just the end part. Best to you all.

DG

wow that is a great attitude and outlook
thank you for that
I sometimes struggle with the end part

BJK
11-07-2021, 10:35 AM
Start now, at 54, trying to figure out what you need to make your work/chores easier for when you need the assistance.

shdwlkr
11-07-2021, 10:41 AM
Yep old age isn't for those that can't deal with what you can't do anymore. I have arthritis in all my joints and other life reminders and I still refuse to use a cane, one day that will not most likely be a choice I can ignore. There are still things I can do just takes much longer and the pain of doing things lasts a lot longer. If you give up doing something most likely you will not do it again as you will not be able to do it.

jdfoxinc
11-07-2021, 10:41 AM
Start when young planning for retirement. Have a plan to keep occupied. I was not prepared. I had just signed a new 1 yr lease for my store. 15 days later someone decided to burgle then torch the store. No insurance so out of business. It's taken me several years to get occupations not jobs to keep me going.

1hole
11-07-2021, 01:55 PM
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Last time I saw 70 was on an Interstate speed sign.

In my 60s I could still do anything I ever did, it just took a bit longer; like jobs I used to do for a couple hours straight began to need a fifteen minute break. Then, in my 70s, I got to working fifteen minutes and needed a couple hours break. Now, (80s) just looking at a real task makes me breath hard and my back hurts.

Tumbling 20' off a USAF air base control radio tower in '63 blew out the bottom three spinal discs; now the constant bone-on-bone contact hurts all the time and sometimes it pinches a nerve controlling my left leg so I tend to stumble a lot and occasionally fall. Falling gets me lots of "old guy" purple patches on my arms. (So far I've only landed on my head, no vital organs have been seriously damaged yet.)

An auto accident in '80 left me with a paralized diaphram and bad damage to both shoulders; a big truck ran a traffic light at 40 mph and "T-boned" me. All that still bothers me some, especially when breathing hard or lifting for long.

The BIG heart attack in '06 left me with a pacemaker/defib device, two big stents and a 25% ejection fraction (which has degenerated to about 10% now). That means I have lethal Congestive Heart Failure, which doesn't bother me (I'm Christian) but thinking about the coming result makes my loving wife shiver at times.

A botched abdominal surgery in '08 quickly led to four more surgeries to correct it. (Which included a God granted 31 day chemical induced coma which allowed me to sleep through the worst of it; boy, was I surprised at the date when I finally woke up!)

The old shoulder injuries from the 1980 accident finally required a total right shoulder replacement; it worked, sorta - the arm is very weak tho. The constant low level shoulder pain is tolerable but the recoil of a rifle bigger than .243 or any shotgun causes more pain than I can happily handle after a couple of shots; that sorta suks but I can shoot my old heavy barrel Browning Safari in .22-250 all day long!

V.A. cataract surgery and glasses have saved most of my remaining sun-damaged vision and that's good.

Hardly anyone of my era used serious ear protection at the range. I was as tuff as anybody so my right ear died from "Magnum Handgun-itus (.357/.44/.30 Carbine)" long ago. Only the marvels of miniature electronics lets me hear fairly well from the left side but it beats being deaf!

Bottom line, life is good. It doesn't much matter how much life has already cost us; what should matter to us is making the best of every day we have left. Most of us will get knocked down several times before we check out but none of us can really be beaten unless/until we fail to get back up. So, look death straight in the eyes, smile and keep on trucking! :)

No matter your troubles, get right with God and hang in there. None us are getting out of here alive anyway so go the right way now and it will get better later!
:drinks:

Winger Ed.
11-07-2021, 03:34 PM
Look into vitamins, joint vitamins,

20 years ago-- When I saw Glycosamine give our Rotweiller a new lease on life when his hips went bad-- I started taking them too.
My joint pains are a fraction of what my peers are suffering.
And the AREDS labeled eye vitamins have more or less stopped the degeneration of my vision.

Leaner and smaller portions of red meats, and not eating anywhere that has a drive up window
has been great for my blood pressure and colesterall levels.
Also, no more 1/2 salt & grease grocery store sausage- I make our own from pork roasts.

Shanghai Jack
11-07-2021, 03:48 PM
Best money I ever spent was leaf guard

8mmFan
11-07-2021, 11:02 PM
GREAT advice, guys. Sincere thanks!

8mmFan

rondog
11-08-2021, 12:05 AM
Here I am, 65 and 8 months. Have had 4 lumbar surgeries, have an MRI scheduled for a possible 5th.

Just had a knee replacement 5 weeks ago, not something I recommend - although I'm really doing great and recovering well. Just constant pain until it's healed.

And arthritis? We ain't gonna talk about arthritis. Or a host of other things.....

Don Purcell
11-08-2021, 02:04 AM
I was able to retire at 59 and thought now I can do what I had planned. Planned to train for an Ironman and Tough Mudder competitions but needed my left knee worked on. Got it worked on and asked how long before I could start running "Your running days are over" the Doc says. Tried running, yep, he was right so scratch that off my list. Get my F.A.A. medical up to date, nope, scratch that off. About a month after that had a melanoma removed from my side. Some time later snapped a tendon in my right arm. Doc says they don't fix them as they don't last so down about 20% strength in that arm. Now the big thing is spinal stenosis the past few years and specialist says surgery probably next year. Beginning to think I should have kept working as all this stuff has happened after I retired.

Idaho45guy
11-08-2021, 05:24 AM
Start now, at 54, trying to figure out what you need to make your work/chores easier for when you need the assistance.

I'm 52 and my mom is 74, stepdad is 70, and biological dad is 78. Mom is losing cognitive abilities. Dad is getting dementia and just had a major stroke this Spring. I have to go to his place this week and install the snow plow on his ATV. Stepdad can still out work me.

Talking to the parents the other day and seems like heading to warm and dry climates for the winter is the best thing for you. Also, a house with a single level and no stairs is ideal.

Texas by God
11-08-2021, 08:29 AM
My thoughts some days,https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211108/dc9937193b5a13f6497f202fc0bc1cce.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

MrWolf
11-08-2021, 08:38 AM
I'm 52 and my mom is 74, stepdad is 70, and biological dad is 78. Mom is losing cognitive abilities. Dad is getting dementia and just had a major stroke this Spring. I have to go to his place this week and install the snow plow on his ATV. Stepdad can still out work me.

Talking to the parents the other day and seems like heading to warm and dry climates for the winter is the best thing for you. Also, a house with a single level and no stairs is ideal.

Look Into DHA please. My Mom had early onset of Altzheimers that we noticed at 55. She has since passed. I started having cognitive issues and just happened to have watched a PBS special by a neurologist who was discussing DHA and had even given it to his young children. Discussed it with my doctor before I started taking it and within a few weeks I had noticed a difference. That was over ten years ago and I have had to increase my dosage three times over that span. I even had a baseline study done back in 2010 as I was becoming very concerned. Good luck.
Ron

sharps4590
11-08-2021, 08:55 AM
I'll be 69 in February. Until colon cancer and the subsequent surgery and chemo at 65 I was doing pretty good. Chemo kicked my butt for about a year and that year of a lot less activity took its toll. I spent half my working life on ladders. Today I hate them if they're over 6 ft. I still cut all my firewood but not nearly as fast as I used to. I still work on my vintage MG's and Morris minor and little Ford, 3600 tractor but the new stuff. I don't even recognize what I see under the hood as an engine. As the MG's and Morris are small there's a lot of up and down which is a burden and I often have to crawl to something to get hold of but, as parts are also small and light there's no difficulty handling them. How I wish I'd built my shop two stories so I could have a lift. The little lifts are ok but, you still have to crawl under the cars.

Spinal stenosis in my thoracic makes driving any distance misery, arthritis in my hips, shoulders, lower back and feet....make life interesting. The worst is the arthritis and tingling/numbness in my hands and feet from the chemo and, I can't take the cold anymore....which is frustrating for one who was a winter person all their life. I've played guitar, fiddle and bass for 58 years but I fear those days might be coming to an end soon. 'Course 43 years of twisting wires didn't help, I'm sure.

Ah well, I'm still among the mobile, really feel pretty good considering and, according to my oncologist and other doctors am doing very well, no signs of returning cancer as of last Wednesday, we're getting a handle on the spinal stenosis and all my other "systems" are in excellent shape....so far.

As far as the alternative, well, I don't have any personal experience with Heaven but what the Bible tells me, it's a lot better go than here!!!! To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, if you're a believer. How can one find fault with that?

gwpercle
11-08-2021, 12:51 PM
Me ..." Getting old sucks"

My Daughter ... " You think ... Well Not getting older is going to suck even more ! "

... Hmmmm ... I never thought about it that way . I do enjoy my $5.00 Hunting / Fishing Liscense ... that is sweet because I can still fish !

I start each day with two Excedrin's washed down with 1/2 glass of Southern Comfort ... makes the day right !
Gary

Baltimoreed
11-08-2021, 02:03 PM
I’m 70 and a half, Halloween is exactly a half year between my last and my next birthday on April 30. And April 30 is also the date that Hitler offed himself, in case you didn’t know. But I’m still moving, did a 3230 mile, 59 hour drive by myself over a week in July and last week with the help of my son drove about 2500 miles over 4 days to pick up a 27 ft Airstream for my homestead. A moving target is always harder to hit.

waksupi
11-09-2021, 02:06 PM
I remember when I was a kid I could go to a store with a quarter, get a Coke, a candy bar, a comic book, and some bubble gum. Now they have them damned security cameras EVERYWHERE!

gwpercle
11-09-2021, 05:27 PM
I remember when I was a kid I could go to a store with a quarter, get a Coke, a candy bar, a comic book, and some bubble gum. Now they have them damned security cameras EVERYWHERE!

LIKE !

we don't need no stinkin Like button

This one made me smile ... Thanks :drinks:
Gary

1hole
11-09-2021, 09:49 PM
Look Into DHA please. My Mom had early onset of Altzheimers that we noticed at 55.

My still beautiful (to me) 80 year old wife is having some real mind connection troubles. Please tell us what "DHA" is so I can discuss it with our doctor.

Winger Ed.
11-10-2021, 03:07 AM
My still beautiful (to me) 80 year old wife is having some real mind connection troubles. Please tell us what "DHA" is so I can discuss it with our doctor.

Its an Omega 3 fatty acid.
It's available as a vitamin and is made from fish oil.

It's good stuff, it helps about a dozen different things that are mental and blood chemistry related.

granville_it
11-10-2021, 04:08 AM

It say's it all.

Mark, 72yrs

MrWolf
11-10-2021, 09:17 AM

As Winger Ed stated, it is an Omega 3 fatty acid. I am sorry your beautiful wife is having those issues. They are exactly what was happening to me. I knew what something was but couldn't say it. Was like the connection would not work. You described it well. I am not sure if you would get the results you may be hoping for at this late stage but please discuss it with your doctor. I now take three in the morning and three at night. I really hope this can help.
Ron

cabezaverde
11-10-2021, 09:35 AM
Is DHA regular fish oil capsules?

Winger Ed.
11-10-2021, 02:54 PM

You'd have to check the label, but probably so.

Fish oil of some sort is also a big ingredient in those eye vitamins.

MrWolf
11-10-2021, 08:07 PM

Here is something I found just doing a quick search. I take both fish oil (2,000 twice a day) and DHA.

When you buy fish oil you will notice different companies tout how much DHA or EPA their product has. While both are beneficial, you may want to consider the unique properties of each to address different aspects of health. EPA has anti-inflammatory effects while DHA is known for boosting brain health.

DHA stands for docosahexaenoic acid and EPA stands for eicosapentaenoic acid. Both are omega-3 fatty acids found in cold-water fish such as salmon, sardines, herring, mackerel, black cod, and bluefish. A vegetarian source of omega 3 is alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which the body may convert to EPA and DHA. Dietary sources include walnuts and flax seed. However, some people have trouble converting ALAs to beneficial forms of omega 3, particularly if insulin resistance (pre-diabetes) is an issue. Eating a diet high in omega-6 fats, those found in chips, fried foods, processed foods, and restaurant foods, may also hinder this conversion.

John Guedry
11-10-2021, 08:15 PM
My idea on on the healthy eating: if it tastes good,spit it out its bad for you.

BJK
11-11-2021, 12:16 AM
Omega 6 is bad for you, read labels and don't consume it, period. They are claimed to be "heart healthy", bovine feces. Basically if it's a highly refined oil it's high in Omega 6. That includes all corn oils, canola, and I could go on and on. If it's a virgin oil from close to the source it's OK. The closer to nature is what you want. Yes, it's more expensive.

To get my Omega 3 I grind my own flax seed and consume it every morning. That has the added advantage of helping to stabilize my bowels from the medications I take. Yeah, I know, old age is grand.

1hole
11-12-2021, 11:05 PM
Its an Omega 3 fatty acid.
It's available as a vitamin and is made from fish oil.

Thanks, I found it in a Sam's Club pharmacy and got a couple of bottles today; sure hope it helps Momma.

Armorer77
11-12-2021, 11:21 PM
Another thing that may be beneficial is Coconut oil ,Got mine at the health food store . Good Luck .

BJK
11-13-2021, 12:01 AM
Another thing that may be beneficial is Coconut oil ,Got mine at the health food store . Good Luck .

Get the virgin version.

I know animal fats are supposed to be bad for us because the media latched on to a fraudulent "study" done years ago. But that's hogwash. All fats aren't the same and the media would have us believe they are. The media is evil. Animal fats are good. Everything in moderation. Chicken fat bad? No. It's quite similar toy EVOO. Lard bad? Absolutely not.

Folks, I have heart disease and I looked into this extensively. I've lived what I found out for the past 2.5 years and all of my Drs look at my test numbers and tell me to keep doing what I'm doing. What we've paid and trusted people to tell us... well it's all been lies and politically motivated. Follow the science... yeah, it would be nice if they would. But they say that to get us to believe they are following the science, but they aren't. They lie. Yeah, I found it hard to believe too. Incredibly hard to believe.

BJK
11-13-2021, 12:05 AM
BTW, yes aging is the pits. Last 2 matches of the warm season that I was looking forward to are happening this w/e. I had to cancel. I did something to a muscle in the back of my right thigh and if I sit the car seat for more than 15 minutes the pain is excruciating. I shoot for fun and not pain, so I can't get to them. It's bad enough just doing errands locally.

Idaho45guy
11-13-2021, 04:17 AM
My mom is 74 and has been on anti-depressants for years. Last year or so, she was starting to forget things, and then would say things completely nonsensical.

A friend of hers turned her on to some special tea made from the bark of a tree or something. Mom started drinking it religiously and within a couple of weeks, I have noticed a big improvement. She has more energy, her mood is improved, and no more alarming statements or forgetfulness.

I think this is the stuff, but not 100%...

https://www.davidwolfe.com/pau-darco-tea-benefits/

buckwheatpaul
11-13-2021, 07:07 AM
It is no cake walk and I have the same truck.....love it and want to keep it running as I hope this is my last big truck as I am 69.....spent an hour under the hood replacing a alternator two weeks ago....it was, like you say, no cake walk......just keep battling through it and never ever give into old age.....it will kill you if you do!

Cosmic_Charlie
11-13-2021, 10:31 AM
Best money I ever spent was leaf guard

Been thinking about getting a long ladder so I can clean mine. Wife says no. Nobody seems to do gutter cleaning round these parts.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-13-2021, 10:15 PM
Wife won't let me take the gutters off, so I am covering them with sheet metal and managing the water on the ground with "ground gutters" made of gravel with a plastic lining.

Three44s
11-13-2021, 10:27 PM
My mom is 74 and has been on anti-depressants for years. Last year or so, she was starting to forget things, and then would say things completely nonsensical.

A friend of hers turned her on to some special tea made from the bark of a tree or something. Mom started drinking it religiously and within a couple of weeks, I have noticed a big improvement. She has more energy, her mood is improved, and no more alarming statements or forgetfulness.

I think this is the stuff, but not 100%...

https://www.davidwolfe.com/pau-darco-tea-benefits/

Good stuff!

Three44s

Bigslug
11-14-2021, 04:24 AM
The realities of being 50 have reminded me of a line from the movie "Robin & Marian", in which Sean Connery plays an aging Robin Hood.

To Little John, he says something to the effect of "They say you've done well to see 40". Yep. Even with no scurvy or bubonic plague, between the eyes, joints, and back, the signs were there even in my mid-20's that we weren't really built for a long haul.

Yeah. . .diet and exercise. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Live longer by eating food that makes you wish for death, or add ten years to your span by living five of them in the gym. Fairly well convinced there is no "win" here. [smilie=b:

Lloyd Smale
11-14-2021, 05:06 AM
My idea on on the healthy eating: if it tastes good,spit it out its bad for you.

thats about what theyd have you think today.

Idaho45guy
11-14-2021, 05:10 AM
The realities of being 50 have reminded me of a line from the movie "Robin & Marian", in which Sean Connery plays an aging Robin Hood.

To Little John, he says something to the effect of "They say you've done well to see 40". Yep. Even with no scurvy or bubonic plague, between the eyes, joints, and back, the signs were there even in my mid-20's that we weren't really built for a long haul.

Yeah. . .diet and exercise. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Live longer by eating food that makes you wish for death, or add ten years to your span by living five of them in the gym. Fairly well convinced there is no "win" here. [smilie=b:

I'm 52 and my doc told me something totally insensitive and alarming a few months ago when I came in complaining of pain when I wake up.

She said, "welcome to the reality of being over 50. Things are going to start to hurt for no reason. It's usually not cancer, and it's usually not anything you need to see me about. Take more aspirin, do more stretching, and forget about doing the stupid **** you did in your 20's and 30's..."

Pretty sure she nailed it.

square butte
11-14-2021, 08:15 AM
You've got a pretty good Doc - They are not all that good. That advice could help you live a better life, or it could kill you. But it's advice I am inclined to follow. I'm 70 - or 70 percent of 100

alamogunr
11-14-2021, 05:01 PM
It is no cake walk and I have the same truck.....love it and want to keep it running as I hope this is my last big truck as I am 69.....spent an hour under the hood replacing a alternator two weeks ago....it was, like you say, no cake walk......just keep battling through it and never ever give into old age.....it will kill you if you do!

I'll be 80 next July. My 2013 Toyota Tundra is 8 years old. I've been looking at all the "information" I can find on electric trucks. Ford is planning a new plant not too far from us to build electric trucks. Looks good to me. By the time I get around to getting one, it probably won't matter how long it lasts or how far it will go on a charge. Sounds like it will be interesting.

Yeah! I hurt in places I didn't know I had places but on the whole, I'm doing alright. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 16 years ago. I watch what I eat(sort of) but am not obsessive about it. The things that I do eat are mostly the same things I would eat even if I didn't have diabetes. Not a fan of drive thru fast food joints. Several years ago when we went on a European tour, I was the only one in the group to order escargot in the French restaurant. I do like(or am willing to try) unusual foods.

Winger Ed.
11-14-2021, 05:30 PM
we went on a European tour, I was the only one in the group to order escargot in the French restaurant. I do like(or am willing to try) unusual foods.

I try different foods whenever I can.

Very few I've had were 'just OK'. They seem to be really good, or just awful.
The only exception was those baluts when I was in WESPAC.
The places that sold them stunk so bad, I never got drunk enough to go in and try one.

pcolapaddler
11-14-2021, 06:17 PM
I'm not as old... early 60s, but many auto repair tasks take longer than when I did this daily for work. This is due in part to me showing down and a lot to not remembering how I did things 25 years ago

My dad is 84 and still works on old cars, boats, tractors, etc. He is probably a bit slower than when he was 20, but it's still after it. He's amazing in his ability to work and knowledge of machines.

Sent from a handheld tracking device on a remote body of water in SE Alabama.

Idaho45guy
11-15-2021, 02:07 AM
Visited my folks today and asked about the tea. They both raved about it and said it the greatest thing since sliced bread. Apparently, it is an incredible cancer fighter, among other things.

They gave me a glass of it and it has mild flavor. Nothing I'd drink for fun, but for health benefits, it is definitely doable.

I got home and did some research and figured I might as well try it. $46 for a bag after shipping. 100 servings, so about a month's worth of tea if you are trying to heal something, and 3 months or so if just wanting general health benefits.

Heck, my multi-vitamins are about the same cost and I haven't noticed any improvement in 3 months of taking them.

I'll give the weird hippie tea a try...

https://taheeboteaclub.com/

Winger Ed.
11-15-2021, 02:26 AM
Heck, my multi-vitamins are about the same cost and I haven't noticed any improvement in 3 months of taking them.

I'll give the weird hippie tea a try...

Vitamins aren't really a cure. They're more for preventing aliments.
You can get ill, or whatever from various vitamin deficiencies.
Like Vit. C, its supposed to help prevent a cold, but if you already have one, it won't do much to cure it.

Over in the Far East, they're real big on green tea. It's supposed to help prevent or help about 20 different things.
But you need to have some every day.

slim1836
11-15-2021, 03:35 AM
I drank a cup of tea one time that made me hit the head in high gear, don't wish that on anyone. Wondered what it was but I believe Biden must have had some lately.

Slim

Freightman
11-16-2021, 08:53 PM
wait till you have 8 decades under your belt:violin::violin:

JLF
11-16-2021, 09:30 PM
On December 19 I will be 60 years old. I get along well.
Good nutrition, 3 liters of water per day, running 8 kilometers every other day ... and something fundamental, not getting in trouble for anything, that's why it has been more than three years that at home we did not watch any newscast, in fact we almost did not watch television programs. I work 4 to 5 hours a day, very rare that it is 8 hours. I try to enjoy life. As Dr. Patch Adams says: I practice the joy of living.

OldBearHair
11-16-2021, 10:16 PM
Me and Gopher Slayer and I are almost the same age, except he is 3 months older. I still do my under the car work. I do use a 4 inch thick foam pad. It is a struggle to get up and I am only a little sore mornings. Lower leg swelling due to damaged valves from a car wreck in 2002. They had to cut steel to get me out. Three broken edges of neck bones, One broken tibia. a piece of the plastic inside door light imbedded in the left lower calf muscle ( it is still in there.) The X-Ray couldn' "see"it. They told me that I would be very sore tomorrow and sent me home. What! No cast , no nothing. Along came ED and perony's disease. Next was bladder cancer for eight years with bladder and prostate removal (complete ED) Well now, it has been a venture for sure. Two years ago the Urologist put me on injectable testosterone. It has been a game changer ( not for ED) physically. I lost weight from the belly from 229 lbs to 198 now back to 203 lbs. I have much more desire to get up off the couch, so to speak, and do some work of whatever. As for getting up off the ground and back down to the ground over 200 times per day does work IMP only. Had that experience when trapping gophers with 42 traps. Every trap that caught a gopher had to be washed to get the scent off before another gopher would go into it. For a long time after I could be sitting flat on the ground with legs crossed then just stand up. Yes I remember back a couple decades when I was 66. I was a positive thinker then as now.. My son refers to our family motto of "get it done rs".

samari46
11-17-2021, 12:21 AM
I've been messing around with a tree that is dead from about 10' off the ground. Used the front end loader on my Kubots L3800 to drag the poison ivy and weeds so that when it comes time I have a clear path to go to when I take it down. It goes up about 7' then splits into two separate limbs. Both limbs are leaning in two separate directions. So have to plan on taking one down then the other. As one member said I ache in places I didn't know I have. At 75 do what I can and call it a day. Frank

John Guedry
11-17-2021, 10:29 AM
I can relate to what most of what ya'll say. 78 here.