PDA

View Full Version : NOT a Boolites reloading question RMR 124,115gr JHP load data.

tayous1
11-04-2021, 05:42 PM
So I have been looking at the RMR HP bullets and read where 1,150 FPS is needed for proper expansion. I found some reloading data for it but it was for FMJ and none of them were close to the 1,150 fps mark that was needed. I emailed the company and have not heard anything back as of today.

I'd like to test some of these rounds and see if they are worth the hype that I have been reading about. I was skunked before buying 1,000 rounds of junk JHP that just did not expand at all pretty much FMJ that looked like JHP.

The powder is hard to find but willing to hear what anyone has to say!

cwtebay
11-04-2021, 05:52 PM
I think a bit more information would be easier to answer to - 6mm? 243? 257? What are your objectives? Range?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

tayous1
11-04-2021, 06:11 PM
You are very right sorry switch hours I work from working from 1300 hrs to working 0400!

These are 9mm JHP that I'm looking for information for! Thanks for letting me know!

cwtebay
11-04-2021, 09:02 PM
What powders are you looking to use for this endeavour?
I see that you are using RMR bullets, what is your load data thus far? How are you evaluating expansion vs. fmj bullets?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

dswancutt
11-04-2021, 11:52 PM
A quick check of my loading manuals shows that you are going to be loading at max, or pretty close to it to hit 1150 and your powder selection is limited. A good resource is the RMR page on facebook. You are going to have a deeper pool of knowledge of the RMR hollow points. In fact, there is a specific post for 124 gr HP.

tazman
11-05-2021, 07:30 AM
I have used these bullets, both 115 and 124, and find them to be very accurate and less expensive than most other bullets. I use them for practice and would not rely on them to properly expand in a defensive situation.
There are other bullets out there that will expand at much lower velocities than 1150fps.

tayous1
11-05-2021, 09:54 AM
I have used these bullets, both 115 and 124, and find them to be very accurate and less expensive than most other bullets. I use them for practice and would not rely on them to properly expand in a defensive situation.
There are other bullets out there that will expand at much lower velocities than 1150fps.

What would you recommend? I was looking at the price of the RMR mostly nothing set in stone.

tazman
11-05-2021, 10:53 AM
As I said, I use RMR for practice and I shoot quite a few of them. They are a great bullet IF you don't try to get them to do something they aren't really designed to do. For quite a while, RMR used to sell the hollow points with a disclaimer that they would not expand at normal velocities and the HP was there to improve accuracy. It appears that now, they have improved the design to get reliable expansion albeit at higher velocities. They still shoot well.
For defensive work, I use Hornady XTP, Federal HST, and Speer Gold Dots. All of these work well and reliably and don't necessarily need high velocities to do it. I would include others but I have no personal experience with them.

Larry Gibson
11-05-2021, 12:06 PM
While not the Rem 115 JHP I use the Hornady 115 XTP or, preferably, the Speer GD 115 gr loaded over 7 gr of Herco. I have pressure tested that load and it runs consistently under the SAAMI MAP for the standard 9mm. Velocity out of my 4 5/8" barreled CZ75 runs 1300+ fps.

tazman
11-05-2021, 12:27 PM
RMR is short for Rocky Mountain Reloading, a bullet manufacturer in Idaho. They made cast and plated boolits for years but have pretty much moved to jacketed. Apparently, the jacketed they produce is more popular than the cast they used to make since the cast and plated are no longer listed on their site.

dverna
11-05-2021, 01:06 PM
As to bullets...I make my selection based on the the testing on this site:

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

They have tested both expansion and penetration. I settled on the Speer 124 gr Gold Dots because I got a great deal on them and they performed well. But there are a lot of good bullets to chose from. Their data also shows velocity so you can work up a load that matches the performance they achieved.

Like Tazman, I use good commercial bullets when performance matters, and practice with cheaper bullets that shoot to the same POI.

Pick out 3 or 4 bullets that match velocity results in your gun with the same bullet weight, and then find what is in stock at a decent price. $100 should get you 300 premium bullets (a lifetime supply for most of us) you can stake your life on. I used up 150 out of my stash as I verified cycling and POI whenever I changed guns, but I am done looking at new SD guns.

tayous1
11-05-2021, 02:17 PM
As to bullets...I make my selection based on the the testing on this site:

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

They have tested both expansion and penetration. I settled on the Speer 124 gr Gold Dots because I got a great deal on them and they performed well. But there are a lot of good bullets to chose from. Their data also shows velocity so you can work up a load that matches the performance they achieved.

Like Tazman, I use good commercial bullets when performance matters, and practice with cheaper bullets that shoot to the same POI.

Pick out 3 or 4 bullets that match velocity results in your gun with the same bullet weight, and then find what is in stock at a decent price. $100 should get you 300 premium bullets (a lifetime supply for most of us) you can stake your life on. I used up 150 out of my stash as I verified cycling and POI whenever I changed guns, but I am done looking at new SD guns.

Thanks for the site I do not plan on using the RMR for SD I would buy rounds for that to much of a field day for a lawyer. RMR did have factory second's for a cheap price but they are sold out now.

I looked at all my reloading data and was surprised to find that getting the .355 bullet up to 1,150 fps was not an easy find. I always thought the 9mm bullet was much faster then the 45 ACP.

tazman
11-05-2021, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the site I do not plan on using the RMR for SD I would buy rounds for that to much of a field day for a lawyer. RMR did have factory second's for a cheap price but they are sold out now.

I looked at all my reloading data and was surprised to find that getting the .355 bullet up to 1,150 fps was not an easy find. I always thought the 9mm bullet was much faster then the 45 ACP.

Check out this site. https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

They are the distributors for Hodgdon Powder, IMR powder, and Winchester powder. They supply loading data for most cartridges with lots of data for the most popular ones.